• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hodgdon Price Increase at Sportman's Warehouse

You are not comparing apples to apples.

Just looked at a finished AR barrel in 8.6BO for a local guy yesterday. About of 1/3 of the land width was deformed from the rest of the lands. He paid around $350 for the prefit/prefinished barrel. I'll guarantee he is going to have accuracy issues.

Also a gun manufacturer.... when they really see what it takes to make a very good barrel and the costs involved.... guess what is the first thing that corners get cut on.... the barrel every single time.

Frank : I'm comparing PRICING . What were the cost of established products in 2020 ,as opposed to NOW . Granted many products have increased Food Fuel imported goods . Real inflation if it were calculated properly would reveal 17-22% ,yet it's NEVER calculated properly is it .

All I've been saying is Powder as well as Primer pricing has jumped far more than any reasonable % given ALL factors ; Labor Materials and Transportation . Even factoring in Powder demand of escalations ,there's still NO justification for Vista and Hodgdon's in particular raising pricing to it's current levels . VV hasn't they've done a moderate increase . So makes one wonder WHY & WHO is tampering or Price Fixing !??.

Not being rude but factual ,the typical indicators AREN'T driving those obscene price increases .

I've got Targets to punch while snow has finally stopped ,IF I can see them ?

Reactions: reelserious
All of you bitching about the price of shooting either pay up or go be poor somewhere else.
I was wondering if the "POS,New and Improved reloading data site" was due to some Bill Gates wantebe's mother going "above and beyond" :sneaky: her duties with one of the higher up's to get her child the job. But reading I found out that it's due to Chris Hodgdon wanting people to access the site on their mobile devices . Yep, I always wanted to take my Maxi Pad or "dingle berry to the range so I could access reloading data.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
The leftists have been attempting to price the common man out of the market for decades. The leftists fear a well armed population that take their rights seriously. People notice it at different times.

Anyway, I won’t let them win. I’m going to stock up as much as I can.

Reactions: 308pirate
Yalls must be in those tax brackets that start with 3

Truth be I'm Overstocked and have been for #45 years and Never need to purchase another lb. . I'm thinking of the wanna be come lately which are bearing the brunt of stupidity in paying extortion . Your monies so , spend spend spend :ROFLMAO:

Bottom line the USA ISN'T manufacturing near anything including smokeless powder

20240127_140538 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: lash
Bottom line the USA ISN'T manufacturing near anything including smokeless powder ,we're importing nearly everything and that favors who ?

Current administration as well as China ,leaves the USA vulnerable just like giving oil reserves too China ! .????????????.

What's needed is ADDITIONAL DOMESTIC POWDER PRODUCTION and a whole crap pot less immigrants !!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Pretty much every commonly used ball powder is produced in the US.

Reactions: lash
Pretty much every commonly used ball powder is produced in the US.

ATK ,aka formerly as General Dynamics owns the St. Marks Old Winchester facility in Florida and currently is the ONLY domestic produced smokeless powder facility . They do however label identical Winchester powders under Hodgdon .

What I said was ( Bottom line the USA ISN'T manufacturing near anything including smokeless powder ,we're importing nearly everything and that favors who ? ) .

Copied and pasted as it's fairly accurate :

IMR powders are made in Canada, the plant is still owned by General Dynamics(General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems Canada), but the name “IMR” is licensed by Hodgdon now.

St Marks Powder plant in FL still owned by General Dynamics produces all Winchester branded powders and some Hodgdon powders too, Hodgdon licenses the Winchester name for powders only. Olin Industries still owns and manufactures ammunition under the Winchester name.

Alliant Techsytesms/ATK owns and manufactures Alliant (Hercules) powder, The Reloader series is made by Bofors in Sweden and imported, their shotgun and pistol powders can be made in Radford Virginia under the name New River Energetics Plant

Western Powders, Accurate Arms, ball powders are made in Herstal Belgium and some Ramshot powders also, all repackaged in Montana, rumor has it some of the Accurate Arms powders are made at St Marks. Looks like based on Accurate Powder recall of 2495 from 2016, its appears to have been made at GD-OTS/IMR

Thales Group a French government owned company owns Thales Australia formerly ADI in Australia makes all of Hodgdon’s extruded powders, and sell them under the ADI name as well.

Keep in mind there are NO CONUS manufactures of extruded powders, that’s why they are imported from IMR Canada, or ADI/Thales Australia

Hodgdon does make Pryodex,777, White Hot, in Kansas (the ONLY powders that they actually manufacture).

Keep in mind Hodgdon is privately owned company, whereas, Olin, ATK, General Dynamics are all publicly traded. Western Powders is also privately owned, ADI/Thales government controlled

Some interesting random facts:

ATK is the current contract operator of the Lake City Arsenal, the facility is still whole owned by the US Govt, in the past Olin and Remington have run the arsenal.

It’s confusing that ATK who is a very large defense contractor, and they own the Federal name, as well as CCI, and Speer and American Eagle and Alliant Powder, RCBS but supposedly all these are subsidiaries of Vista outdoors, looks like more accounting strategy. End of the day... they are ATK companies.

Also alarming is that Olin brass is the sole US source for first-draw cups used to make cartridge cases. Most of their product goes to DoD in replacing depleted war reserve stocks .

During the Vietnam war Scovill and Anaconda were also in the cup business, but no more. Many of the brass cups used and all of the steel cartridge cases used in sporting ammunition manufacture come from off-shore, Korea, China, Russia, Hungary, Italy, Belgium.

ATK ,aka formerly as General Dynamics owns the St. Marks Old Winchester facility in Florida and currently is the ONLY domestic produced smokeless powder facility . They do however label identical Winchester powders under Hodgdon .

What I said was ( Bottom line the USA ISN'T manufacturing near anything including smokeless powder ,we're importing nearly everything and that favors who ? ) .

Copied and pasted as it's fairly accurate :

IMR powders are made in Canada, the plant is still owned by General Dynamics(General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems Canada), but the name “IMR” is licensed by Hodgdon now.

St Marks Powder plant in FL still owned by General Dynamics produces all Winchester branded powders and some Hodgdon powders too, Hodgdon licenses the Winchester name for powders only. Olin Industries still owns and manufactures ammunition under the Winchester name.

Alliant Techsytesms/ATK owns and manufactures Alliant (Hercules) powder, The Reloader series is made by Bofors in Sweden and imported, their shotgun and pistol powders can be made in Radford Virginia under the name New River Energetics Plant

Western Powders, Accurate Arms, ball powders are made in Herstal Belgium and some Ramshot powders also, all repackaged in Montana, rumor has it some of the Accurate Arms powders are made at St Marks. Looks like based on Accurate Powder recall of 2495 from 2016, its appears to have been made at GD-OTS/IMR

Thales Group a French government owned company owns Thales Australia formerly ADI in Australia makes all of Hodgdon’s extruded powders, and sell them under the ADI name as well.

Keep in mind there are NO CONUS manufactures of extruded powders, that’s why they are imported from IMR Canada, or ADI/Thales Australia

Hodgdon does make Pryodex,777, White Hot, in Kansas (the ONLY powders that they actually manufacture).

Keep in mind Hodgdon is privately owned company, whereas, Olin, ATK, General Dynamics are all publicly traded. Western Powders is also privately owned, ADI/Thales government controlled

Some interesting random facts:

ATK is the current contract operator of the Lake City Arsenal, the facility is still whole owned by the US Govt, in the past Olin and Remington have run the arsenal.

It’s confusing that ATK who is a very large defense contractor, and they own the Federal name, as well as CCI, and Speer and American Eagle and Alliant Powder, RCBS but supposedly all these are subsidiaries of Vista outdoors, looks like more accounting strategy. End of the day... they are ATK companies.

Also alarming is that Olin brass is the sole US source for first-draw cups used to make cartridge cases. Most of their product goes to DoD in replacing depleted war reserve stocks .

During the Vietnam war Scovill and Anaconda were also in the cup business, but no more. Many of the brass cups used and all of the steel cartridge cases used in sporting ammunition manufacture come from off-shore, Korea, China, Russia, Hungary, Italy, Belgium.

I'm not reading all that. Stop being old.