• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
So I have been out the last few weekends, seeing hogs but not shooting them. Some seem to be on a mission and are moving like they are late to work. Last night I saw what I thought was a big sow in a clearing by a fence line. I cant hunt the other side of the fence, and she moved into the brush . Where there looks to be very heavy hog traffic under the fence line I threw some cracked corn with Walmart cherry flavored drink mix and hot water out. Did that on 3 spots. Sat just a little way up the fence line and could hear the hogs on the other side of the fence, maybe 30-50 yards away. sat for over an hour and nothing came out. And this stuff has a very strong sweet smell to it. Anybody have a bait that will draw them in? The area is not hunted at all except for me. My next step will be to put a feeder out and train them to show up at the same time every day.

Reactions: 338dude
There are some people who are going to be mad at me for sharing this in an open forum, but IMO ferrel hogs are a menace and must be destroyed.

Strawberry yogurt. I shit you not. My friend stacks them on public land from a climber. Goes out at o’darkthirty with a gallon of the stuff, takes a spoon and flings it everywhere around his spot, and then dumps the rest in the kill zone. All hogs downwind make a bee-line for it.

• Wow
Reactions: 338jdj and 338dude
Let some deer corn sit in beer for a few days and then go put it out for them.

You can use 3 liter soda bottles with a small hole or two on it so they entertain themselves trying to get corn kernels out one by one. Of course, make sure you attach the bottle with some tie wire or rope to a T-post or tree so they stay put.

I have had my best success after baiting every day for a week or so, then bait a little heavier and further from my spot the day I'm going to "hunt".
It seems they can be trained to go to a spot repeatedly. I am needing something to draw them in if I have not baited in a while.

Come fall when my parents come down I will be baiting super heavy. Probably do 3 spots.

Thank you all for the replies. I will be trying the fermented corn soon. Maybe make up a mash tonight or tomorrow for next weekend. I have heard of the diesel soaked corn before. Part of the property I hunt has Longhorns on it, so I don't know that putting it with them would be good idea.

Last edited:
I hunt pigs in FLorida, not just a couple, a lot. Been doing it all my life. Take a five gallon bucket, put corn in it, put the same amount of water in it for 3 days. Problem solved. It will ferment the corn. You don't need all the fancy expensive shit. At the end of the day, its a stupid pig.

I have tried a couple dozen different recipes and commercial products along with various other things like fruit/vegetable scraps, fryer grease, etc. Based on that and what I have seen online, hogs will be "attracted" to everything from dead cows, dead feral hogs, fish head, crawdad leftovers, whatever manner of soured corn that is made, apples, watermelon, tomatoes, diesel corn, transmission fluid corn, etc. About the only thing that they won't eat that I have tested is pumpkins, but some folks have had luck with pumpkins. People seem to think fruity smells bring in the hogs.

I understand that hogs absolutely love watermelon, but every time I tried watermelon, the deer and raccoons ate all of it long before hogs would have gotten a chance.

From what I have seen, either you have hogs or you don't. If you don't have hogs, it doesn't matter what you put on the ground, they aren't going to show up. Based on my experience, hogs I have had hogs show up numerous times to locations I was simply watching, but I would be hard pressed to say that my presence really brings them in, although I have been rather successful in that regard.

In the grand scheme, I don't think a lot of hunters actually understand or know whether their bait is actually bringing in hogs or if hogs were just passing through the area anyway. Nobody I know will go out an intentionally bait a location where that have no hog sign in the area and expect hogs to show up. Everybody wants to bait where there is hog sign which means hogs are moving through the area anyway as part of the normal activities, or they set up a feeder and wait for hogs to eventually find it and make the feeder one of their stops.

Will XXX concoction bring in hogs from across the fence? Maybe. You have to convince the hogs that what you have is better than what they have on their side of the fence such that they will leave it and come your way. Convincing hogs to leave other resources isn't that easy. They may eventually make it over, but then again, if they are that close, they are probably coming over eventually anyway. Magic bait won't necessarily make them come faster. If it did, we would all be using it and there wouldn't be a hog problem.

However, if it makes you feel good making stinky, sticky, nasty stuff and transporting it in and going through the process of deploying it, go right ahead. It probably isn't hurting your hunt, not too much. However, keep in mind that a sudden change in the environment can result in hogs not showing up for a while, even if it is tasty food. Some animals perceive change as being potentially dangerous or threatening until they get used to it. It is a lot of fun to experiment, however.

My next step will be to put a feeder out and train them to show up at the same time every day.

This is a bit of a fool's errand unless you are in an area that is lacking of forage for hogs. I have read countless tails of people (and been the victim of) patterning hogs and showing up to hunt them when the patterning indicated only to have the hogs not show up. The stories often include a statement about not understanding what went wrong because the teller "had them patterned." The only thing predictable about hogs is that they are unpredictable.

So you set your feeder to go off at 8 PM each night. Are the hogs going to come at 8 PM each night? Probably not. If they have any hunting pressure on them, they will come after dark and they may not come immediately after dark. For example on my property, I have a feeder that only goes off in the evening time which is when I am most likely to be able to hunt it. Last month, I had a hog that came in every night, but it was anytime between 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM and he would snarf up whatever was left under the feeder.

Hogs tend not to "train" very well for a lot of reasons. Most notably is that hogs tend to make a circuit each night and that circuit changes based on availability of resources and hunting pressures that are completely outside of your area of control (although you may control the hunting pressure if you own a huge amount of land that is inclusive of the total range of the hogs). On any given night, when they stop off at your feeder may change.

In 12 years of running feeders, only a few times could I say that I had hogs that were coming in right before the feeders went off or immediately thereafter (like they were waiting for the sound). More often than not, if they are going to show up, it is within the first few hours of the feeder going off. Sometimes, the hogs will show up regular for a while. I may have a feeder going off at 8:00 PM and having hogs coming in regularly between 11:00 PM and 1:00 AM...and then something happens and they change their pattern.

Don't expect the hogs to conform to your schedule. Your hunts will be dominated by disappointment if you do. It is up to you to be there when they arrive. Remember, they don't wear watches or use a day planner. ;) They will come when they come, if they come.

This is a bit of a fool's errand unless you are in an area that is lacking of forage for hogs. I have read countless tails of people (and been the victim of) patterning hogs and showing up to hunt them when the patterning indicated only to have the hogs not show up. The stories often include a statement about not understanding what went wrong because the teller "had them patterned." The only thing predictable about hogs is that they are unpredictable.

This is very true. I have spent numerous and countless hours hunting and searching for wild hogs. I'm in South Texas and I've done this "hunting" on my deer lease where I know hogs are in the area because they are on trail cams.

Season 2017/2018 was one where I would go sit in the stand for the afternoon hunt, deer that is, and instead of leaving when it gets dark like most deer hunters do, I would stay in there all night. Sometimes I would even stay until sunrise the next day. What did I learn from this? I learned that hogs are extremely cautious, senseful, and easily spooked. The hogs were always on cam every night. However, the nights that I would spend in the stand, they would not show up. How they knew I was there is beyond my knowledge as I never ever make any noises or movements while I'm in there. I'm as still as a rock. Christmas day of 2017, none of us were at the deer lease cuz it was Christmas obviously and we were spending it home. Hogs showed up on cam all day from 7AM til dark. It's like the knew no one was around. Only that day did they show up during daytime.

And then i know people who have hog problems where they always see them everywhere. They even run them over at times because they happen to run in front of them as they're driving around the brush. That has never been my experience though

Reactions: Double Naught Spy
Not sure on the patterning statement...... hangout outside the local bakery shop on thrift day.

There are dozens of recipes for making sweet smelling stuff that hogs like. Most of them work too.

Your biggest hurdle is going to be to get them to come into the bait pile right after you put it down. If you walked out in your boots straight from the house/truck, you just left a scent trail all over the place...and that works against you more than the soured corn works for you. Covered in bug spray and sweating all over the place? It will take a few days before hogs show up usually...NOT ALWAYS, but usually. You are hunting something that has a nose that's better than a hound dog, and unless they are used to the smell of humans in an area they are going to turn every time they scent you. Don't believe me? Watch the thermal hog hunting videos when the hunter finds himself upwind of the hogs and see what happens.

If you can slip in and drop off bait that is upwind of a known hog location without stinking up the place, your chances of having them come out to it on the first night increase dramatically.

Also, if a hog is educated on the use of traps, good luck getting them to come to any kind of bait pile.

I always give it three nights after I drop bait in a spot for the first time before I go and check the camera. I'd say that 75 percent of the time or better, the hogs down't show up until the second night at least.

So I have been out the last few weekends, seeing hogs but not shooting them. Some seem to be on a mission and are moving like they are late to work. Last night I saw what I thought was a big sow in a clearing by a fence line. I cant hunt the other side of the fence, and she moved into the brush . Where there looks to be very heavy hog traffic under the fence line I threw some cracked corn with Walmart cherry flavored drink mix and hot water out. Did that on 3 spots. Sat just a little way up the fence line and could hear the hogs on the other side of the fence, maybe 30-50 yards away. sat for over an hour and nothing came out. And this stuff has a very strong sweet smell to it. Anybody have a bait that will draw them in? The area is not hunted at all except for me. My next step will be to put a feeder out and train them to show up at the same time every day.
Try some fruit flavored jello powder in women’s panty hose hanging from a tree. When it the wind blows it will put out scent everywhere. When it rains, it will create a puddle they dig a hole to get to. Not exactly enviro friendly but a piece of shag carpet coated with used motor oil wired to a tree is irresistible. Probably shouldn’t explain how I know this.

• Love
Hard to yank them off a good mast crop early in deer season with plain corn.

In times the mast was poor they have in same location been seen running full speed feeder to feeder and do not stand in the way lest they actually run you over.

Hogs been hard to get for two years now on our stands but back in the area.

I'm thinking a batch of corn / strawberry jello and cheap strawberry wine to strengthen fermentation.

Maybe blackberry since there are some in the area.?

Hard to yank them off a good mast crop early in deer season with plain corn.

In times the mast was poor they have in same location been seen running full speed feeder to feeder and do not stand in the way lest they actually run you over.

Hogs been hard to get for two years now on our stands but back in the area.

I'm thinking a batch of corn / strawberry jello and cheap strawberry wine to strengthen fermentation.

Maybe blackberry since there are some in the area.?
Galvanized bucket with strapped lid. Drill small weeping holes fill with corn and water. If you can stand the stink, you will pigs o plenty in a couple weeks. Also helps with scent control.

I have never had a successful hog hunt when using bug spray. I do all kinds of stupid shit so that myself and my clothes go into the field as scent free as possible, and they still bust me if I get up wind. Bug spray makes it that much easier to be detected. Diatomaceous earth works for me for chiggers and ticks, I don’t know any tricks for mosquitoes.
I use 2 feeders that go off every morning and evening, then pig pipes, and corn thrown on the ground in some areas. I have had a lot of success and failure watching their patterns and hunting when and where I expect them to be, and I have had a lot success and failure ignoring their pattern and hunting when I had time. They’ll stick to a pattern some, but not always, and the pattern doesn’t usually follow the feeding schedule set on your timer. The feeder will get them showing regularly if there are not a lot of acorns falling, and all your neighbors are not feeding.
I’ve used all kinds of sweet and fermented mixes to bring hogs to me, and I honestly can’t tell if anything works better than plain corn. Maybe I’m mistaken on that.
One of my favorite ways to bring hogs in when I know they’re close is calling. I’ve brought a good number in from ponds on neighboring properties to within 20 yards of me with a call.

I have never had a successful hog hunt when using bug spray. I do all kinds of stupid shit so that myself and my clothes go into the field as scent free as possible, and they still bust me if I get up wind. Bug spray makes it that much easier to be detected. Diatomaceous earth works for me for chiggers and ticks, I don’t know any tricks for mosquitoes.
I use 2 feeders that go off every morning and evening, then pig pipes, and corn thrown on the ground in some areas. I have had a lot of success and failure watching their patterns and hunting when and where I expect them to be, and I have had a lot success and failure ignoring their pattern and hunting when I had time. They’ll stick to a pattern some, but not always, and the pattern doesn’t usually follow the feeding schedule set on your timer. The feeder will get them showing regularly if there are not a lot of acorns falling, and all your neighbors are not feeding.
I’ve used all kinds of sweet and fermented mixes to bring hogs to me, and I honestly can’t tell if anything works better than plain corn. Maybe I’m mistaken on that.
One of my favorite ways to bring hogs in when I know they’re close is calling. I’ve brought a good number in from ponds on neighboring properties to within 20 yards of me with a call.
I'm a big fan of the pig pipe. We use a 6' piece of 3" PVC attached to a chain staked in the ground. Drill several 3/8'" holes for the corn to fall as it is moved. Add some rocks for a continuous rattle even if corn is gone. Works very well for us.

Best hog bait I've ever used. Thermal. Trailers full! I feel your pain baiting and waiting can work. Thermal is expensive, but I knew after the first 20 minutes on the first night it was money well spent.....at least in my book. I don't do the night thing any more I've lost my appetite for lack of sleep it was cutting into my morning swim practice and overall health.....hate how I felt groggy all the time. Just brining it up in case you have a hog problem to get on vs fun hunting. Hogs make great coyote bait for the next few days too. Stack em pack em and rack em.

• Love
I'm a big fan of the pig pipe. We use a 6' piece of 3" PVC attached to a chain staked in the ground. Drill several 3/8'" holes for the corn to fall as it is moved. Add some rocks for a continuous rattle even if corn is gone. Works very well for us.
Mine are similar, but I made the mistake of drilling 1/2” holes, and they empty it too fast. I need to make 2 more to replace my current ones.

What are you using to call them?
Any good (loud & clear) electronic Bluetooth caller will work. I like the Hog Pro app with the upgrade. I think the app itself set me back $4, then it was an extra $4 to get access to the rest of the calls. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with Glenn Guess, but these are his calls. He really pushes to sell this stuff in his YT videos, but they do really work.

Reactions: Chief_Rick
9FA26693-8BEF-412F-B274-3371971FB88D.png

Any good (loud & clear) electronic Bluetooth caller will work. I like the Hog Pro app with the upgrade. I think the app itself set me back $4, then it was an extra $4 to get access to the rest of the calls. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with Glenn Guess, but these are his calls. He really pushes to sell this stuff in his YT videos, but they do really work.
My wife wants to set up once the weather cools off. We have to stop these frigging hurricanes first.

If you are able to control wind and human traffic (private or leased land) a feeder is a no brainer (check out Capsule feeders) not affiliated other than a very satisfied customer. An Artesian well filled with beer and corn covered with about 8-10" of ground for 10 days or so will get a good stink going. I can say without hesitation feeders will eventually turn into a dinner bell. This does require splitting hairs on the morality of hunting vs killing.

Corn, peanut butter, molasses, coolaide mix and beer. Let it sit in the sun for a bit, post hole a few layers then spread around on the ground. Give them a day or 2 to find it. We use this mix for hog hunts I guide in the Augusta area.

All recipes listed work very well. I have found if a pig has choice between eating at dusk or at 10pm, they'll eat after dark. A feeder adds competition among them and predictability which increases opportunity for the hunter.

I'm not doubting you, but what do you think the diesel does? I would think that would taste and act like poison to most living things...
You are correct sir, the diesel keeps just about anything other than a pig off the bait.

Corn and generic Kool aide powder or Gatorade powder. Just mix it up dry and scatter it as you see fit. Make sure its not just in some easy to eat, giant pile. Also, I like leaving it dry so the particles get picked up by the air and drift around. You never know though. Hogs seem to do things without rhyme or reason. I wouldn't spend too much money though. I've corned roads and dumped hundreds of lbs. of corn in hog infested areas and have seen it just sit for days...Sometimes they just aren't interested or have moved through already. Good luck.

A blend of Strawberry/Orange jello in a mesh bag(cheapest thing I've found is womens panty hose) hung from a tree with some sour mash buried in a hole will produce desired effect.

I put 100 pounds of corn in a big plastic bin, toss in the rind from cutting up a watermelon, 6 pack of cheap beer and two cheap containers of syrup. Let it marinade in the sun for about 3-4 days and spread it around. The watermelon seems to be this trick where we hunt.

In the past, I did the corn, warm water, brown sugar and yeast.
Let it ferment for a few days, poke holes in th elid or they will blow off.
I know some folks will put strawberry soda in it as well.
I figure molasses, corn and sugar should work well.
The trick is to bury most of it, with some on the surface so they will hang out and root.

I'm in South louisiana. Our feed stores sell persimmon flavored corn. If you have a timed feeder it works here but the raccoons love it too. Ive seen them ran head first down trees to get their share

I think in some areas the fruit is what gets them to come in. You can smell rotten fruit from a really long way away.