• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hogs in South Central New Mexico

kilo7788

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Monroe, Michigan
Me and some friends drove around yesterday in the mountains between Alamogordo and Mayhill. We did not see any hogs. Plenty of deer and one elk. At one watering hold we did find tracks and areas they have destroyed. We went in and talked to a ranger and he gave us a map with the areas where they are the worst. We went there and also saw signs of them there. I have never been hog hunting and I am from Michigan. So I am not familiar with Hunting in New Mexico period. Can anyone give me any pointers such as active times and more stuff to look for. Is it better to puch for them or sit
? Thanks!

Re: Hogs in South Central New Mexico

By all means... SIT.

If you are allowed to bait for them, here is what you do:

Find where they have freshly destroyed an area. Use one of the holes they have dug out, and add some corn and diesel. The diesel will keep all the animals out but the hogs. They go crazy over the stuff.

They will be there... BOOM... bacon, sausage, ham, steaks, jerky... good stuff.

DK

Early mornings and late afternoons. Just like most of other animals you hunt. Good hunting to ya!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TriggerNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool. Thanks for the tips. Diesel? How would I apply it?</div></div>

pour it on the corn....the hogs love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TriggerNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool. Thanks for the tips. Diesel? How would I apply it?</div></div>

pour it on the corn....the hogs love it.</div></div>

Your screwing with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TriggerNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TriggerNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool. Thanks for the tips. Diesel? How would I apply it?</div></div>

pour it on the corn....the hogs love it.</div></div>

Your screwing with me.</div></div>

no sir

Nope hogs will eat the diesel covered corn and the deer will steer clear of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope hogs will eat the diesel covered corn and the deer will steer clear of it.</div></div>

yep....every bit of it.

I know that putting diesel on the corn sounds crazy. If you don't believe me, give it a try... the hogs will make a believer out of you very shortly.

And I wouldn't screw with you... you are NOT my type.

DK

Actually, I was hoping that you would invite me down for the slaughter once you found out how many hogs you were going to get.

You know... a little payback for some very sound advice!!

DK

You can also dig a post hole and bury a post a few feet in the ground leaving three feet or so above the ground. Soak it in diesel. Pigs love to rub on it to get all the ticks, etc. off of them.

Save the diesel and just pour out plain corn or build a hog tube to keep them around long enough for a good kill. Your gonna here all kinds of methods but at the end just plain corn will do the trick. I usually pour some out and hunt that spot 24hrs later if they clean it up that night or the next morning they will come back looking for more I killed over 50 hogs this winter this way.

Heres a hog tube to give you an idea what it looks like PVC filled with corn with a few holes to let the corn fall out "slowly".

PigPipe019.jpg

Wow thanks for the ideas. That diesel thing sounds crazy. Raised Hogs for most of my childhood and would never have though of that. z71rat if I hit a huge pack I let you know.

Hogs are crazy anyways... the diesel just drives them nuts!!

DK

PigPipe019.jpg

I like this idea! I usually dig a post hole and fill it with corn and they will root down to the bottom in a couple of days. The downside is having to fill all of the holes back up later. Most of the time though the turkeys will come along after and scratch around the remnants of corn and end up filling the hole back up for the most part. I will have to try this as pictured above.

Digging holes and filling it with corn lead to a bigger problem for me!

bc6198abf073__1161360766000.jpg

844948207e93__1161360740000.jpg

Looks like you need some help clearing those pesky hogs... I am absolutely sure you can easily get help with that here. All you have to do is give the word... and the help will come in truck loads.

DK

I'd be glad to come down from OK to TX and help you clear out some of those Hogs!

I'm sure it won't be of far of a drive from kommiefornia to help a man in need.

Im all over a hog hunting trip.

Diesel does work, but the old diesel worked better, the new diesel still lets the raccoons and other varmints eat it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TriggerNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">z71rat if I hit a huge pack I let you know. </div></div>

I will be waiting for the PM!! I know it will be on it's way soon...

DK

Awesome keep us posted on how that works out.