• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Holy Grail obtained, STGW 57

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    You can find these if you look, but they are expensive. Parts kits are even harder to find. Back around 1999 you could buy the parts kits for around $400...that was alot back then. I waffled back and forth and never bought one. I wanted a STGW 57 ever since shooting at matches in Switzerland and saw them on a poster for the Eidgenossiches Feldschiessen. One of the Swiss shooters showed us around and we visited his home. His STGW 57 was sitting in a corner with his sealed box of ammo.
    DSCN3511.JPG

Well, some kits recently came up for sale and I bought one. The guy selling them is in the process of making receivers and has made complete STGW 57's in the past. I was hoping to buy a receiver once he got it into production. He also had a complete STGW 57 for sale. After talking to him, we reached a deal for a .308 STGW 57 he had. Here it is.
    my stgw 57.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg

Since this is basically a parts kit, I don't have too many qualms about Cerakoting it. The question is, what scheme. The STGW 57 continues to be used in the Feldschiessen, most commonly in an updated version called the STGW 57/3. These have match barrels, modern diopter sights, modified triggers and all manner of after market accoutrements.
    images (3).jpg
    images (4).jpg
    images (2).jpg
    image.jpg
    1592660486034.png

1592660913620.png
    1592660990705.png

Stainless receiver
    1592661268700.png

So I am trying to decide on a color scheme. I really like the Swiss red and white flag motif. I also like the burnt broze. However, both of these are maybe a little too modern. Currently, I am leaning toward a custom Stainless (dark, dull ,silver) receiver with the barrel, etc. in Graphite Black. Swiss flag decal on the metal portion of the Buttstock, and maybe a Burnt Bronze Swiss shield image on the handguard. Opinions welcome.

You're confusing Switzerland with Sweden.

The Swiss government severely restricts the roles and numbers of military personnel that can participate in UN missions, and never in an armed capacity.
    I know...

It just makes it look that way... Plus the whole "Santa Claus Red" thing is a bit much. ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: buffalowinter
    Congrats on that purchase. I’d love to find an affordable version of that rare rifle (here in the US). I have a case of 7.5 Swiss Ammo I bought a while back, but not a platform for it. Anyhow, my vote is to leave the finish as-is. Finish looks good and not worn, so that’s my vote unless you build a full-tilt target rifle, and then I think Cerakoting is okay. My 2cts.

Reactions: buffalowinter