• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Home Made Spray Case Lube

PistonPete

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2009
Somewhere in the desert S.W.
buy 32 ounces of 99% isopropyll alcohol, i bought two 16 oz. and one bottle of 100% PURE Lanolin oil, fill a two quart sauce pan half full of water, bring to a near boil, if your alcohol and oil have a foil seal pin punch a small hole in them to release any pressure build up from heating, swirl the oil and alcohol in the hot water till the temp. is about 120 degrees F., pour one bottle of warm alcohol in a quart jar or bottle, pour in the oil, cap and shake vigorously a few seconds, rinse out the oil bottle with the remaining alcohol, ad more alcohol till the quart bottle is full, cap and shake vigorously a few seconds and BINGO !!! you have the best resizing lube money can buy !! and it will damn near last a life time, pour the lube in a spray bottle capable of a fine mist and have fun reloading !!

Re: Home Made Spray Case Lube

I'm pretty sure that's the same stuff that Dillon sales. We also have a local company that makes the stuff and that's exactly what they do.

Liquid lanolin is available in health food shops. Google it...I bought mine off the web. By the way, Castor Oil, from the castor bean, is a very good high pressure lube. On advice from a friend, a master tool and die maker, I used 10% Liquid lanolin, 10% Castor oil (from the drugstore), and 80% denatured alcohol. Even better than lanolin alone!. The mist bottle and a gallon zip-lok bag makes resizing fast and easy. No petroleum products to harm primers either. JMHO

I have used the same recipe that formal naval person uses for about 5,000 reloads and it works great. I write the recipe on the bottle so when I need to refill I do not have to look for the recipe. Use a clear spray bottle so you see the lanolin and the castor oil on the bottom and you will have an automatic reminder to shake well. Put it in a spray bottle and use the plastic bag method for applying the lube and it will work great.

Rinse cases with hot water and let them dry overnight and you are GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Recipe is not new for sure.
</div></div>

did i say it was ? in fact the guy who wrote that at TFL is a good friend of mine, where do you think i got it from ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where would you look for 100% lanolin oil? </div></div>

i got mine from a beauty supply store.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beats the hell out of the price you pay for "One Shot" lube.Thanks for the info! </div></div>

you are quite welcome, always trying to help and pass along good tips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Recipe is not new for sure.
</div></div>
did i say it was ? in fact the guy who wrote that at TFL is a good friend of mine, where do you think i got it from ? </div></div>
Go look the post before mine, to which my reply was directed to.

Can you do 20% Caster oil and 80% Denatured Alchol? Is it necessary that you have Lanolin Oil?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5280EM!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you do 20% Caster oil and 80% Denatured Alchol? Is it necessary that you have Lanolin Oil? </div></div>

that, i do not know as i never give Castor oil a thought, i might give it a try.

How does castor of lanolin oil effect powder and primers if there is contact?

I use RCBS Water Soluble Lube. A few drops on the fingertips, smeared about/together, then lightly traced on the case wall below the shoulder. I use a spiral/twisting action. It's like a thickened liquid detergent. Dry wipes right off and is more definitely removed with a soft cloth dampened in water or rubbing alky. Pulls some of the carbon crap off necks during the removal process, too.

I tried using Dawn, and although it worked, it wasn't quite as effective. It felt like it wanted to grab, but didn't quite.

These days there's the newer 'high efficiency' laundry products, and the 2X and 3X laundry detergents seem to have a consistency a lot more like the RCBS Lube. Even though I've got like a lifetime supply of the RCBS stuff, I think I'll try some of the high efficency detergent, just for hoots. If it works; hey, we struck gold.

Greg

Greg, that is what I had always used too.
I used it with the RCBS pad, where you put some and roll a few cases over.
Plus, I used the RCBS small nylon brush to slightly lube the interior of the neck when FL sizing.
My attempt to use One Shot was to try to trim some time off the reloading process (RCBS lube is also a little messy/sticky).

Question about the lanolin used. Best I could find was a four ounce bottle, is this what you guys are using?

Don't forget to be damn careful with alcohol and open flame. Thanks for the tip, I hate the RCBS stuff.

I bought 4 bottles of liquid lanolin online as the largest I could find was 4 oz. I could not find any local so I went online and bought enough to last me a long time so I did not have pay the shipping/handling again.

Gonna try one of these recipes.

I love One Shot, but I hate paying the price for it.......

I haven't shopped here but I ran into them today.

http://www.soapgoods.com/Lanolin-Oil-p-747.html

Locally I have found it $10 for 4 oz at a pricey health food organic stuff store. A little high but it was available. I mixed with 91% and did not heat mine. Shake before using 20 oz isopropyl and 4 oz lanolin.

Add 4 oz of Castor oil, and another 10 or so ounces of alcohol and you have enough for 10 years or or more of loading. Maybe more. JMHO

Castor oil and alcohol were the old-time components for model airplane motor fuel. Some nitromethane, 5% and on up, determined the degree of pep and starting characteristics.

Ether was used instead of nitromethane for the diesels.

That was also my intro to Marvel Mystery Oil. I was about 8 at the time. Most kids never get anywhere near such experiments/experiences these days.

This society has converted its children into, as The Gunny says, a bunch of 'Jackwagons'.

Greg

I did this a week or two ago. I am a commercial reloader and go through a LOT of lube. After tinkering with the recipe, the 4oz bottle of lanolin can be mixed with 64oz of alcohol and still works just as well. There is just too high a concentration of lanolin when doing it with 32 ox. It doesn't hurt anything, of course, but why not get more from the same amount of lanolin?

Just tried this homemade recipe recently and have to say I can lube about 500 pieces in about 3 minutes. With only about 5 pumps out of an old Hornady non hazardous spray lube bottle not only does it work better than one shot or the non hazardous version for sizing it seems to me it cleans off much easier with hot soapy water. I put my brass in a 1 gal square ice cream bucket 5 sprays and then I run the brass around in my hands for a few and done! To cheap to buy zip lock bags for it.

So for a high volume loader its IMHO Way better than anything you can buy off the shelf. I've used it all imperial takes too much effort, one shot costs to much and non of it comes off easy enough for me. I'm betting this 1 8 oz bottle will lube 20,000 pieces of 223 brass. Give it try!