• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Home-Made Targets! Show yours here....

shawn57nomad

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2010
Iowa (God's Country)
Here is some Home-made targets I built today. Went to town today and picked up 200rds CCI LRHP, some shoot-n-cees, and a shooting bag I been waiting on at the local hunting shop. On my way out of town got a call from my brother saying he and the family were coming down for the weekend and he built some plinkers for us to have some fun. I thought cool, now I need to make some too! Stopped by the farm and home to pick up some supplies. Picked up some cold rolled .25"x48" round bar($4.16) and four stainless brackets 1"x4.5"($.63 each). Targets for $6.58 total, not to shabby! Challenging at 100yds, but fun! Heated the bar with my propane torch and bent to shape, also heated the brackets and twisted to make target. 45 min of work...After shooting realized that they fly off the end after 3-4 consecutive shots, so gotta break out the tap and die set and put a nut on the end to prevent it. Let me know what you think!
SavageMKII22LR030.jpg

SavageMKII22LR031.jpg

SavageMKII22LR034.jpg

SavageMKII22LR035.jpg

SavageMKII22LR036.jpg

Re: Home-Made Targets! Show yours here....

LOL, gotta ask,, how do you know when you hit the hole?
SAFT (smart ass from Tx)

Heres my standby. Made it out of some scrap construction steel from my dad's structural fabrication shop and cut/welded them myself.

At 100 yards a mosin and my remington 700 punched some nice craters into it, but never punched through. The .22's we shot at it were nice enough to pancake.

At 600 yards, the .308 just left a nice little bump from the round hitting the steel, no penetration.

IMAG0073.jpg

Borg...LOL! lmfao! I guess it makes for great stories considering the half dozen shots that hit the targets took forty or so to get it back to zero on the scope.

That's cool! I gotta call my brother and see if he can make a sihlouette that's similar for this weekend. Definitely not for a backpack! What's that thing weigh?

I made these out of some 3" x 1/4" stainless I had. Cut them out with a jigsaw. 22LR barely chips the paint off @100yds.

targets.png

This is the target stand I made for them out of 3/4" plumbing pipe.

target%20holder.png

Once I hit the string and the target was dangling from only one side. Several times I have flipped the target backwards over the top support and had it hanging where I couldn't hit it. And while trying to hit it, I hit the top support - 22LR doesn't hurt Schedule 40 pipe either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shawn57nomad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's cool! I gotta call my brother and see if he can make a sihlouette that's similar for this weekend. Definitely not for a backpack! What's that thing weigh? </div></div>

Haha, I have a buddy with a truck help me set this thing up. It's carry-able, but it weighs close to 60 lbs. 1" thick base, 1/2" body. Basically just measured myself, and made it up. I think I got about 14" wide 24" tall from waist to head and 10" head. Again, carryable, but not fun to. Easier just to truck it downrange, set it up, shoot, then go back when im done.

Bowling pins work......but they don't last long against 308 even @ 400. 223 just knocks them over unless you shoot for the neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pale horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no photos but we have quite a few stray mutts that dig in the garbage poop in our yards and bite little kids I use a saiga 12 or 20 ga theres also 5.00 bounty so I can buy 5 rounds of buck shot each time I get a comfirmed I dont like to kill dogs but in a village of 300 souls we get up to packs of 20 or so and they do alot of damage well that my home made targets regards all ps no dog pounds here no money for shots and control person.</div></div>

WTF are you talking about. this a topic on home made not target and not a topic OOOO i kill dogs. that topic has been discussed and is basicly a no no. I suggest you delete that post.

My favorite is empty beer cans filled with water. They explode nicely when hit, are cheap, and are fun to make.

I hope this thread goes somewhere. I have a bulldozer fender that I rescued from the scrap bin at work that I'm going to cut some rimfire targets out of. It's 3/8" T1 steel, not as hard as AR500 but harder than mild steel.

I'm not sure what sizes and shapes I want to cut out though. I'm thinking some scaled down IPSCs, coyote, pig and some others. I want to keep it interesting and not just shoot at squares. I guess I'm going to make them all swingers.

Gimmie some ideas and realistic sizes for varying distances out to 200yds or so.

Well the IPSC I posted above has a 3" wide body and a 1" wide head. 50 yard head shots with my 10/22 was fun and challenging. With 3/8" T1 I think I would make as large an IPSC as I could and then just shoot at the range that keeps it challenging.

img0157c.jpg

Here's what I have so far and I've got a little more than half of useable fender left to work with. The IPSCs are 50% scale roughly, I'm not sure if the dimensions of the head and angled corners are right. I couldn't find measurements on those so I eyeballed it. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to get out of the rest. Ideas? Maybe some knock off SH skull targets? Other vermin silhouettes? I did rob the coyote template from osuarchitect.

I think what I'm going to do is make this and entirely scrap project though. I'll dig around in the metal bins at work again this week and see if I can't find some sort of bar and pipe/tubing to make the pigs and coyotes into swingers.