• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Home shop pics, lets see them.

Re: Home shop pics, lets see them.

STR-Was kinda just jerking your chain. First I thought, shit, this gent has the nice Clausing/Colchester, a Hvy 10 in his shop and somewhere a big building with nice prestine lathes all in rows like Jay Leno's car garage!!
wink.gif

My reading and comprehension skills are only 12th grade level and I regrettfully didn't apply myself full heartedly the first couple yrs of HS. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These shops are WAYYYYYY too clean so I refuse to post
smile.gif
</div></div>

Oh come on now, yours is one I really woul dlike to see. Don't make my old ass beg. </div></div>
LOL or better yet next time you go to Manatee, come by and see it in person
smile.gif
and bring Tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Berryhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Bolt knob jig in action....

IMAG0322.jpg

</div></div>

Nice shop! Where did you get the hollow end mill? </div></div>
Thanks. Hougan.</div></div>

What size is it? if you don't mind me asking. Id like to get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[Not trying to be a Nancy, just a good neighbor.

Might consider moving that surface grinder as far away as you can from your mill/lathe.

Wheel dust will coat the ways and tear them to bits in short order.

Nice setup.

C. </div></div>

Already in process, thanks, had to add a 240/480V transformer to the stack of electrical gear in between the mill and grinder. Looked at that and thought, wow, the chips in the rotary convertor..... not so good. So am moving it all around, two lathes back to back, then the mill. Moving the welder and the grinder on the far back wall.

Adding a Bader also, very handy tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sudnrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Berryhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Bolt knob jig in action....

IMAG0322.jpg

</div></div>

Nice shop! Where did you get the hollow end mill? </div></div>
Thanks. Hougan.</div></div>

What size is it? if you don't mind me asking. Id like to get one. </div></div>

I am not around the shop for a bit, but I think 9/16".....but I could be wrong. I can tell you soon. Turn them in the back gears and lots of oil and they last a long time. If your setup flexes a wee bit....you can watch a nice expensive bit go in a millon pieces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These shops are WAYYYYYY too clean so I refuse to post
smile.gif
</div></div>

Oh come on now, yours is one I really woul dlike to see. Don't make my old ass beg. </div></div>
smile.gif
and bring Tony </div></div>

I would love to do that. I will let you know the next time I head over there, as I will be staying the night at one of the near by hotels o I can shoot two days. 3 1/2 hour drive, got to make the most of it. You just make sure that if you ever visit Miami, you let me know, lunch is on me. If you smoke cigars, I will treat you to the very best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These shops are WAYYYYYY too clean so I refuse to post
smile.gif
</div></div>

smile.gif
and bring Tony </div></div>

I would love to do that. I will let you know the next time I head over there, as I will be staying the night at one of the near by hotels o I can shoot two days. 3 1/2 hour drive, got to make the most of it. You just make sure that if you ever visit Miami, you let me know, lunch is on me. If you smoke cigars, I will treat you to the very best. </div></div>
Its a done deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK here's mine, just getting moved in from the old place. From front door to the back:

IMG_1459.jpg

And the other way:
IMG_1460.jpg

Have since added an old English Colchester, a big refrigerator and waiting to move the reloading table and get a large bench for the center area. Need another safe too, already have significant security.

Told the wife, this is the mext to last Man Cave. Next one will be closer to home ( ten minutes here ) and will have steps to a basement, where the 100 yard underground range will be built. </div></div>

Nice shop. Is that a Fountain 31'CC or perhaps an older 27'?

Well guys my shop has been 1 yr. in the making. I bought the lathe & mill and all the tooling that was with it a year ago this week and built the shop for it & all my reloading eq. It's been an ordeal but it was worth it.
IMG_0190.jpg
IMG_0191.jpg
IMG_0193.jpg
IMG_0195.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[Nice shop. Is that a Fountain 31'CC or perhaps an older 27'?</div></div>

31 Fountain - used to fish the SKA circuit, kept the boat in Key West for a few years, just haul it where ever now. Thinking we ought to go back to Key West for a summer sometime. That was the best - good times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lefty Lucas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well guys my shop has been 1 yr. in the making. I bought the lathe & mill and all the tooling that was with it a year ago this week and built the shop for it & all my reloading eq. It's been an ordeal but it was worth it.
IMG_0190.jpg
</div></div>

I like the metal on the walls. That had to cost a fortune, but it really looks nice.

What are all the tags hanging on the lathe?

RAD:
I really like the metal I even put it on the ceiling. Cost was not bad and it is really easy to keep clean and it made it very bright in the shop. The last time I run a lathe was about 35 yrs. ago so I put the name of the leaver on the tag till I get use to where they are.

STR - neat shop you got there. Wish you were my neighbor
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STR - neat shop you got there. Wish you were my neighbor
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thank you!! I also wish I had a neighbor that enjoyed building and shooting as I do. I'll post a few more pics of tools for this kind of work. Thanks to all you guys that have posted, but I know that's just the tip of the iceberge. To me they all have something to offer, so it can be big or small, clean or messy, machines or hand tools. If you do gun work at home then I would like to see them. Thank to all.

I'm jealous of the space that some of you guys have, but I've made do with what I've got. I took the pictures in the middle of a build so forgive the clutter, but it gives you an idea of my one man operation.

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

The project for today about to get a counterbore and chambering.
IMG_2042.jpg

I see some mills w/o dro's on them. I just want to share that I bought one of the uniq 3 axis ones from linear measurements in ca via eBay and it was all there and then some, good instructions, an English speaking guy named Tim answered my questions, the brackets were more than sufficient and the whole rodeo was about $550 shipped and works great......if anyone cares.

These pics are a bit dated but not too much has changed. I had the stove in there for baking some MolyResin but it's stuck in the shed now. Need to get busy and build a baking cabinet.

I need a larger mill (a 10x54) as I am finding the mill/drill often to be lacking in rigidity. I'd also like to add a smaller lathe for little projects but I'm not sure where I'm going to put them.

No reloading equipment in here. It all resides in the basement of the house along with the guns and ammo.

shop1.jpg

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

lathe.jpg

mill.jpg

As you can see, my shop is another multipurpose one. I do a lot of fab work in here so the saws and welders get a workout.

I really need to build a larger shop but I'm too cheap to spend the $$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see some mills w/o dro's on them. I just want to share that I bought one of the uniq 3 axis ones from linear measurements in ca via eBay and it was all there and then some, good instructions, an English speaking guy named Tim answered my questions, the brackets were more than sufficient and the whole rodeo was about $550 shipped and works great......if anyone cares. </div></div>

I have one that came with mine, and I do use it. As for does anyone care, yes, I know someone does care. This is one of the reasons I started this thread. Through you tube and PMs here, I have been asked a lot of these type questions, and what you guys are posting is answering a lot of those questions. By posting pics of your shops you help others, and viceversa.

If anyone has a truly good clean up magnet...share that!

I also see a fire extinguisher in a pic. Having had a jeep catch fire in my garage and my dads house burn down.....I strongly suggest having several extinguishers handy.

Now there's a "falling out of the tree idea", a magnet for clean up. Why didn't think of that. Thanks, I'll be getting one. This is what I mean by sharing ideas

I have one of the smaller teloscoping magnets I just stretch out and slide it across the floor and my rubber mats in front of the lathe to pic up chips. Alot easier cleaning it off then trying to dig them lil bastards out of broom bristles!
smile.gif
Also works good around the lathe and toolpost to suck um up outta the crannies and crooks.

Woodsy, one of these days when I have all the rifles and scopes I want, I'm going to buy a real welder like yours.

now there is what every shop needs. a Kegerator. i miss mine. it used to be a two tap home brew and 1 full size keg.
rest of the shop look good too.

When using the magnet for clean up put a kroger back over it, that way once its full you can just pull the bag off the magnet and all the chips just fall into the trash can and your magnet stays clean.

I came upon a solution to a common headache....how to hold small parts for blasting and cerakote. I did a cera job that included a ramp type rear sight. How do you hold the ramp ?.....with a magnet! I stuck the front sight and a micro screw to the magnet and dusted them, then stick the magnet to the steel bar in my oven. For screws, I use plumbers tape....with all the holes. One set is snug on a 1/4" bolt and it can be bent around the rack easy...and you can use it to hang more wires from in a pinch.

Hope that helps someone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone has a truly good clean up magnet...share that! ...</div></div>

I bought a "pick up" magnet at Home Depot that has an extendable handle. The head is about 12" wide and is shaped like a small push broom. It's useful for trying to find small parts that have been dropped on the floor. I see them there all the time in the tool isle.

It will pick up every metal chip and filing from the floor and is a PITA to remove them from the magnet so I put a plastic grocery bag over the head and secure it with tape or a rubber band before I start sweeping. All you need to do is hold it over the trash can and remove the bag and all the chips come off with the bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Berryhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone has a truly good clean up magnet...share that! ...</div></div>

I bought a "pick up" magnet at Home Depot that has an extendable handle. The head is about 12" wide and is shaped like a small push broom. It's useful for trying to find small parts that have been dropped on the floor. I see them there all the time in the tool isle.

It will pick up every metal chip and filing from the floor and is a PITA to remove them from the magnet so I put a plastic grocery bag over the head and secure it with tape or a rubber band before I start sweeping. All you need to do is hold it over the trash can and remove the bag and all the chips come off with the bag. </div></div>

I have that one too. I skip the bag and use a stainless scraper to push the metal off the end. It works great. What I am after is the worlds most radical 1/2" diameter magnet inside a piece of thin wall aluminum tube that I can clean all the nooks and crannies up with. Add a pull rod to the magnet and it should dump the chips.

I love shop pics, they always cause me to want to get more equipment!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich219</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love shop pics, they always cause me to want to get more equipment! </div></div>

Me too!! Thank god I have no more room for it. LOL!!

Well my shop is like a "Switch Barrel" it serves as my Reloading area, Woodworking, and now some machining, I think a small Milling Machine may be next. I enjoyed seeing everyones stuff thats for sure
smile.gif

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice heavy 10!!!! </div></div>

Thanks A guy I hope to smoke a Cigar with someday helped me out choosing what to get!!....LOL

First time posting pics... Let's give this a try.
pics3023.jpg

pics3024.jpg

pics3025.jpg

pics3020.jpg

And here's my most recent build. It's an 8 twist 22-243 with a 27in. Shilen rem varmint, Manners T4 with Surgeon DBM. PTG bolt body with a Holland handle. Pushing 80g Amaxes at 3475 with Ramshot Magnum.

pics3027.jpg

pics3033.jpg

pics3018.jpg

my human host, that is a nice shop, and an awesome rifle. Talk about a smoking little bullet!!! Thanks for sharing. A lot of Grizzly lathes in these shops. There are many guys on the fence about buying a Grizzly. Maybe some of you that own them already can let them know how you feel about them on this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my human host, that is a nice shop, and an awesome rifle. Talk about a smoking little bullet!!! Thanks for sharing. A lot of Grizzly lathes in these shops. There are many guys on the fence about buying a Grizzly. Maybe some of you that own them already can let them know how you feel about them on this thread. </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words. They're appreciated. I'm way out of my league around here,LOL.

The 22-243 is a screamer. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to shoot a 284 or a 7 short mag. Thing is that there are no ranges around here that go past 100, so I have to shoot on private land. This country is broken up into 1 mile sections and there are usually 3 to 5 farmsites on every section. A rifle that just keeps going and going would be a dangerous weapon around here. It's a safety thing.

I've have no complaints about my lathe. It's more than I could have expected for the price. A very straight and reliable machine.

Some nice shops in here. My place consists of nearly nothing but car tools. Sold all my heavy machinery when I sold my auto shop. I don't even have a drill press anymore, it's sad.
I am going to work on getting more machinery some day soon but for now, hand tools are what I have. =(
I even sold my welder, might buy another soon so I don't lose my touch altogether.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some nice shops in here. My place consists of nearly nothing but car tools. Sold all my heavy machinery when I sold my auto shop. I don't even have a drill press anymore, it's sad.
I am going to work on getting more machinery some day soon but for now, hand tools are what I have. =(
I even sold my welder, might buy another soon so I don't lose my touch altogether. </div></div>

You may find this hard to believe, but some old school shops have mostly hand tools. Stocks get made and inletted by hand. Sometimes that is more impressive to some than a 3/4 million $$ CNC machine. So anyone with pics of your gun building hand tools, please, let's see some, and work you do with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may find this hard to believe, but some old school shops have mostly hand tools. <span style="font-weight: bold">Stocks get made and inletted by hand.</span> Sometimes that is more impressive to some than a 3/4 million $$ CNC machine. So anyone with pics of your gun building hand tools, please, let's see some, and work you do with them.</div></div>

You mean that an action can be inletted with something other than with hand tools!!? Gee, why didn't Bob tell us that in school?
Dayuummm, that would have been a lot less work.
grin.gif

6250320057_9ee53da7a2_n.jpg

5815949176_f0bf8e437b_n.jpg

4187494886_73866d36fd_n.jpg

4586039535_d5512b7873_n.jpg

Nice Mark!!!! That's what I'm talking about!! Thanks for posting.

Nice clean shop there my human host. I'm sure that 22-243 shoots like all the others that you've knocked out. Looks good.

xdeano

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may find this hard to believe, but some old school shops have mostly hand tools. <span style="font-weight: bold">Stocks get made and inletted by hand.</span> Sometimes that is more impressive to some than a 3/4 million $$ CNC machine. So anyone with pics of your gun building hand tools, please, let's see some, and work you do with them.</div></div>

You mean that an action can be inletted with something other than with hand tools!!? Gee, why didn't Bob tell us that in school?
Dayuummm, that would have been a lot less work.
grin.gif
</div></div>

LOL I have customers asking if I inlet with a CNC, I say no, they pause and then call someone else. Go figure

Here's a home shop I put into 1 stall of a 3 car garage. It had a window next to the granite table with a chronograph standing outside of it and a rubber trap 2 car widths away so I chould test pellet guns every day and an occasional handgun. The workbench doubled as a stealth doghouse that allowed my shepard to squeeze through a doggie door on the left and walk through the bench into the large part of the garage without getting chips in his feet. Behind the lathe was a section of wall that could be pulled back to allow chips to be scooped into a bucket from the other side of the wall.
The mill and lathe are Korean and run on 220V single-phase. The mill uses 30 Taper collets which are are somewhat hard to find in the US.
BigBearShop.jpg

Here's my little welding table (someday, I'll have one like Woodsy's!) On the table is a home-made action jig that I'm welding to a D-4 camlock.
WeldingTable.jpg
[/img]

Can someone tell me how good the South Bend lathes are? I would like to get one. I am a beginning machinist. I want something that could learn on but also want something that is easy to understand and use. I have seen them used on the dvd's by AGI and seem easy to use. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone tell me how good the South Bend lathes are? I would like to get one. I am a beginning machinist. I want something that could learn on but also want something that is easy to understand and use. I have seen them used on the dvd's by AGI and seem easy to use. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John </div></div>

Yes, please let me tell you about them. The SB Heavy ten is ideal for rifle building. The light 10 or 9 will not work because the bore is to small. The 13 will also work great. The only issue you will have is finding one in very good shape. They were built for commercial use in mind, and are very heavy duty. Mine is a 1988 model, but they didn't change much through out the years. They even have guys that treat them as you would a vintage automobile with restoration and making them like new. They can be had for anything from $2500.00 to 5K for one in good to excellent shape. Tooling is another factor that makes a difference in the price. I have nothing against the new lathes made overseas, but I will rebuild my Heavy 10 before I buy new. That's how much I like it. Just look at what McWhorter Rifles uses to build their very expensive rifles on. Check it out on their web page. Best of luck.

ShopviewApril2012.jpg

I helped pack this shop up this month and I drove it 900 miles. It filled a 26' Uhaul truck every cubic inch.
The guy machines and welds guns like jewelry, but has no paths through the hoarding.

He is having a new shop built, and I am urging him to have it built big enough for trails between the trash.

I spy with my little eye something that begins with a L?

Lathe and a think i see a Mill as well