• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Home shop pics, lets see them.

Re: Home shop pics, lets see them.

Woodsy, I sent you a PM, Please Check, thanks

We moved this old beast into my garage this weekend. Still need to run conduit and power her up this week.

It is an old Gorton 1-22 Mastermill with power downfeed and power table feed. It looks like someone has eliminated the vacuum tubes and converted it over to solid state circuitry.

After we got it moved into place my Dad decided he needed a well deserved beer while my buddy took a picture of my ass crack...

Gorton%2520Mastermill%25201.JPG

oohhhhh, that's an "ass crack"??? Why is it so loonnnngggg and deep????
wink.gif

Kinda like a joke I heard a lonnnngggggg time ago,

Lil Johnny: Dad, why is there a slit between sisters legs?

Dad: Well, Johnny, your sister slipped and fell on a Gillette razor blade!!!

Lil Johnny: Geez Daddy, then momma musta fell on a Wilkinson Sword!!!!

You have to be old and remember what was made in the 60's or so and how they advertised them. lol

treebasher, got the same Gorton monstermill that has served me well for many years now.The #9 B&S taper is the only problem. Im converting a Servo brand feed to fit mine instead of the original table feed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oohhhhh, that's an "ass crack"??? Why is it so loonnnngggg and deep????
wink.gif

Kinda like a joke I heard a lonnnngggggg time ago,

Lil Johnny: Dad, why is there a slit between sisters legs?

Dad: Well, Johnny, your sister slipped and fell on a Gillette razor blade!!!

Lil Johnny: Geez Daddy, then momma musta fell on a Wilkinson Sword!!!!

You have to be old and remember what was made in the 60's or so and how they advertised them. lol </div></div>

Ok, thanks!!! I'm still LMAO!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone tell me how good the South Bend lathes are? I would like to get one. I am a beginning machinist. I want something that could learn on but also want something that is easy to understand and use. I have seen them used on the dvd's by AGI and seem easy to use. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John </div></div>

First question...are you talking about an old SB or a new production SB?

The old SBs are great machines (if they're in good shape and weren't abused...like any piece of good equipment, buying one that's been left out in the rain for a couple of years is probably not the best idea).

The new SBs are stunningly nice machines as well. You definitely pay for the quality though. If you get a good vintage one or a brand new one, you're going a good route. With either though, size the machine to the work you want to do (the larger machine you can get is usually better...).

--Wintermute

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We moved this old beast into my garage this weekend. Still need to run conduit and power her up this week.

It is an old Gorton 1-22 Mastermill with power downfeed and power table feed. It looks like someone has eliminated the vacuum tubes and converted it over to solid state circuitry.

After we got it moved into place my Dad decided he needed a well deserved beer while my buddy took a picture of my ass crack...

Gorton%2520Mastermill%25201.JPG
</div></div>

Well the old Gorton has power to it and the spindle is working. We have the table feed off and are in the process of resurrecting some 1950's technology.

Oh and I went out and bought myself a safety razor...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Waiting to see if someone posts pic of a nice Emco Maximat Super 11 or V13??? First lathe I ever used was a 9wk course as a HS freshman in metal work. We didn't get much time on a V10P but it had me hooked!!!!
smile.gif

Always wanted a V13 for the length but would have settled for a Super 11 if I could have afforded one. Now that I have the Hvy 10 I guess I am 'at peace' with myself.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I happen to know a guy that has a V13. I'll snap some pics next time I'm over there. He also has a very nice heavy 10 too. I don't know how he decides which to use.
smile.gif
</div></div>

As promised.
IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

The South Bend Heavy 10
IMAG0365.jpg

here is a small shaper too.
IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

So is the V13 as nice of a machine to run as I think it would be??? At my age I don't get hickory anymore but still can get balsa to materialize everytime I see a pic of a V13 or Super 11!!!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is the V13 as nice of a machine to run as I think it would be??? At my age I don't get hickory anymore but still can get balsa to materialize everytime I see a pic of a V13 or Super 11!!!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

I can't say that I've spent enough time running one to give an educated answer but, what little I have, I would own one in a heartbeat. Definitely "chub" worthy.
laugh.gif
It's every bit the precision machine you expect it to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You went to Waskom
wink.gif
</div></div>

How'd you guess?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is the V13 as nice of a machine to run as I think it would be??? At my age I don't get hickory anymore but still can get balsa to materialize everytime I see a pic of a V13 or Super 11!!!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Here Dennis, one more to help put you over the top.
grin.gif

IMAG0362.jpg

Some people just can't understand using "chubby" and "machineing" in the same sentence can they.
smile.gif

Afraid with all them damn leevers on thar I would have to get some professional schoolin to run the durn thing!!!

Them short bed Hvy 10's just seem kinda smurffy for how the rest of them is built. What does that piece do that is bolted onto bed and your carriage stop is sitting under???? Never seen one of them thingers???? Nice clean looking machine!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What does that piece do that is bolted onto bed and your carriage stop is sitting under???? Never seen one of them thingers???? Nice clean looking machine! </div></div>

That is a false way that allows you to relocate the carriage stop when running collets, to let the carriage run closer to the spindle and still use the stop.

I'll post a better picture of it when I get them uploaded.

I am happy to say that after looking for a decent deal for about a year now I lucked into a Bridgeport mill to add to the lathe I've been learning on.

Just moved it in on Fri, and have several years worth of accumulated grime to clean off of it. The knee and the storage box on the side had a pretty impressive chip collection going on.
smile.gif

7315347300_157762d5d4_b.jpg

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats Onyx, thats a great addition brother!! </div></div>

Thanks much! After some cleaning it's starting to look better. Now I gotta learn how to drive it.
smile.gif

7323541906_cf6bd768be_b.jpg

Onyx

God I had to watch hours of video of lathe and mill work to subside the craving this thread left me with. I envy all of you who aren't restricted to operating janky chinese mills at the inconvenient times my school allows. One of the damn things nearly got me killed because the jaws on the table vise weren't square and the piece I was working on got ripped out of the vise and almost through my stomach. Had the shakes for a few days after that.