• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Homemade Pop Up targets

JCONE

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2011
Central IL
I'm looking for any advice on a cost efficient way to build some pop up targets for some LE training. Figure I can build a frame and set up a pulley system with some paracord, but I would like to figure out a way to build some simple remote mechanical circle steel pop ups. Got access to some shop equipment and steel, but I could use some advice.
JC

Re: Homemade Pop Up targets

Spring loaded with a pulley release system?

Thats the path I'm headed down. If I can figure out the right spring tension, I think I could go as simple as a fence gate latch as an acutuator and use the bullet strike to reset the target. Id like to figure out a remote system (like scavenged rc car remote)to actuate the pop up. That is where i am out of my league.

I've been playing with having the target fall onto a momentary switch which closes the circuit to a solenoid (using a Nitrous solenoid from automotive industry) which uses a small (paintball) nitrogen tank to power a air cylinder (see Parker air cylinders or other mfg's) to return the unit to the ready position.

I got this idea from the auto shifter on my drag racing bike (see MPS auto shifter)

You may want to consider a 3 second timer relay or something in between since it will return to ready fast using pneumatic power.

I like this idea since it returns FAST and the potential for hitting the target with a follow up round while it is resetting and risking damage to traditional motor driver units without a clutch is removed.

I always wondered why do people need a steel target that falls and resets? Seems like wasted time. A hit is a hit and on steel it's obvious most times . Having it fall also causes the bullet to deflect slightly up and away sometimes whereas a fixed and angled slightly forward ipsc style steel target deflects the bullet into the ground in front of target. Seems safer and if you've ever seen tracers at night flying into oblivion you know what I mean. And Those reset targets are just darn expensive . Just some thoughts . Sorry I can't help you construction wise I Never made a reset target. But good luck .

Im not as concerned about the reset as i am the innital pop up. Reset would be nice, but not even really necessary. Having multiple targets to engage is great for follow up shots, but not knowing where these targets are going to come from will make training that much better. Double, I never even knew stuff like that existed. Im going to look into it. Spider, good point about the delection. Perhaps if the target was hinged on the top and dropped or swung down. Rounds would deflect into the ground and gravity would do a lot of work for me. Would just need a way to get it started...

a falling target will not increase any type of deflection or ricochet. By the time the target starts to fall, all of the bullets energy has been expended. cratered or deformed steel may, so use proper steel but the fact it is reactive will not cause ricochet.

If you use a delay timer you can set up a random delay (5-25 seconds) or something like that across a handful or targets so the value in them falling is a random assortment of wack-a-mole type targets.

Look into door popper solenoids, for shaved handles on cars, availible up to 120lbs of force, remote control setups sold by the same people. Requires a 12V power source. Not allot of stroke to them but the lower force ones are not terribly expensive and could overcome a detent or release a latch for a torsion spring, counterweight/pulley or similar type deployment, could even be used as a falling target if you balanced everything right so you wouldn't have to go down range to set the course of fire up after every pass. Could also use something similar to the cable drive in some electric windows, anything that relies on electric motors should be pretty simple to put on a remote.

That's exactly what i was after Beef. I will post some photos once I get this project underway. Thanks for the ideas guys.

That's pretty slick. I wonder if you could set more than one radio out on different channels for multiple targets. Just change the channel of the activating radio to fire your intended actuator. Thanks for the link Jackpine.

All great ideas - the issue I see with the GMRS and the door poppers are, as Beef said, the length of stroke but I really like the GMRS radio solution and I am going to try that with some of the solenoids I have vs. a momentary switch to allow firing line control...

Here on the ship we have magnets that hold open heave A60 steel doors that are on closer arms. Again you would need voltage available. You could run a single pair of wire to each target, back to a switch bank that you can make out of a cigar box and some toggle switches from radio shack. have constant voltage at the magnets flowing through your closed switch. when you flip the switch, the circuit opens and the magnet is de energized releasing the target. As soon as the target is released you can flip the switch again to activate the magnet so when your target is dropped on it , it will stay down until you flip that switch again.
This way you can flip the switches in any order you want to pop different targets up.
door holder

Good luck and post pic's!!!!!!

If you want hidden targets that pop up, maybe you could use a swinging target that is held up with a remote switching latch. Flip the switch and your target would swing down into place. You would have to manually reset them, but it would be fun not knowing where your targets are until you flip a switch. Just another idea.

Thanks for the great ideas. I think I can pull something together or at least have a good place to start.