• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Homemade wet tumbler for stainless steel media

jmorris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2006
TX
The results using stainless steel media always impressed me; however, being accustom to the large batches my big Dillon tumbler can turn out the idea of only being able to 2 lbs of brass (only 230 rounds of 9mm) at a time just wouldn’t be worth it.

The Thumler’s tumbler despite costing almost $200 is only good for 15 lbs . Once you add 8 lbs (a gallon) of water and 5 lbs of SS media that only leaves 2 lbs of brass. You can also get a 40 lb tumbler as well but at almost $700...well if I wanted to burn money I would just buy new brass.

I started out ebaying parts, a 1/3hp 40 rpm gear motor ran $30, 1” pillow block bearings (1500lb load rating) for $8 and a Lovejoy coupling for another $10. I then made a frame out of ¾” to mount the motor and bearing box. Cut a disk out of 3/8” steel and mounted a 100 lb (12.2 gallon) bucket used to hold chlorine onto the disk using 10-32 bolts. I slid another bucket into the first one and cut slots into the outer bucket so the inner bucket would inner lock with it. I then cut 4 ribs 1 5/8” tall out of ½” thick plastic and bolted them in to the inner bucket, using 10-32 counter sink bolts, every 90 degrees to agitate the brass and media.

The media is pretty expensive at $25 for five pounds so I only bought 10 pounds for initial testing, so if it didn’t work I wouldn’t be out of too much money. So I started out with only a gallon Ziploc bag of .223 and a few hand full’s of 458socom for the trial run.

The mix was 2 gallons of water, 2 table spoons of Dawn dish washing soap, ½ teaspoon of Lemishine detergent. Even at over twice the capacity of the Thumler’s B model there is still a lot of room for more.

I ran the mix for 1 hour and separated the media/brass using my Dillon separator, rinsed the brass with clean water and dumped it onto a screen I built for drying dip lubed bullets. It was kind of cool today so I set a heated fan up to help dry them out. In about 15 min they were all dry.

It’s not much to look at but once I get a few more bags of media I figure it will tumble around 4500-5000 9mm cases at a time and I will have under $180 invested including the 20 lbs of media.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Re: Homemade wet tumbler for stainless steel media

More pictures please.

So the outer bucket is used only do drive the inner one? How is the inner bucket sealed? Is the entire bucket arrangement cantilevered off the drivesaft, or is it supported on both ends?

I'd like a few more of the engineering details!

Nice job. I have a thumlers model b and totally agree - capacity is too low in two ways. First, no enough brass. Second, not enough water...if you run a full load of lubed/sized rifle brass, the water becomes saturated with googe/gunk before the brass is clean, requiring a water change to complete the cycle.

Ahhh.... picture 4 details how torque is transferred from outer bucket to inner bucket..

tag, I like the idea.

The two 1" bearings between the motor and 3/8" disk are all that support the drum. The lid on the 2nd bucket has an O-ring that seals once you twist the lid on.

a.jpg

When the world starts coming to an end, I want to be around ingenious people like you. I can't believe the amount of "practical" things you build.

Nice. I just bought a harbor freight cement mixer with the 2 year no questions asked guarantee (glad I did there is alot of weight getting tossed around).

So far so good. I haven't finalized the ratios yet so it seems like it is taking longer to get the cases totally clean in the primer pockets.

Ern

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PJAIRFIRE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lets see it in action </div></div>

That's funny. Really, if it were an open top, it would be mmuch like opening your washing machine and watching the bubbles run out. It just turns in circles, then you open up the top to foam, like in the last photo I posted. I just put a hose in the top to float the soap out. If you reach in to check the brass it looks like you put on a white sholder length glove that's a 1/2" thick.

Jmorris!!!!
This is just what I was planning on making.
I would suggest that the baffles "spiral up" the sides on the bucket pulling the brass and media up the pail this would prevent the media and brass from piling up at the bottom. I think it would act more like a tumbler then.

very nice.i've been looking at the Thumblers and noticed that they don't hold a lot of brass, and saw another guy on Arfcom that was selling a homemade tumblers that held more but were still in the $200 range...

now if I just had welding skills.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: royboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jmorris!!!!
This is just what I was planning on making.
I would suggest that the baffles "spiral up" the sides on the bucket pulling the brass and media up the pail this would prevent the media and brass from piling up at the bottom. I think it would act more like a tumbler then.
</div></div>

It would make it more difficult to build but if you ran it at an angle, like a cement mixer you would be correct.

On this one the bottom of the bucket is almost level the upward taper is due to the fact the top of the bucket is larger than the bottom.

5.jpg

Here is the one I am working on. 1" round aluminum stock mounted in Pillow Block bearings. Motor is 1/2HP at 1725 RPM. OD of the pulley on the drive-shaft is 2.5 and the one on order for the driven-shaft is 5.75 which will spin the rollers at about 750 RPM; the barrel should spin at around 40 RPM.

2011-12-02_14-41-32_265.jpg

where are you getting media for 5lb/$25?

The media is from here.

IMAG0462.jpg

They can ship two bags in one flat rate box

It took 4 months to "win" the motor I used. In between that time I almost went with a pully reduction (off an old washing machine) but decided a direct drive would be more compact if I were to stand it up out of the way when not in use.

IMAG0398.jpg

jmorris,

I should hire you so I could apprentice under you for a year.

I may learn something.

Very nice work

nice
what supports the front of the bucket ?

there is magnetic stainless,I think it 430, the pins i use are magnetic which is good, when I drop a few just pick them up with a magnet.

That is exactly what I am trying to make right now. That thing looks awesome. I was wondering how exactly you have it setup and where you got the parts? Is there just the one pillow block bearrings that's in the bearrings box, are those flanges on either side of the box or just the pillow block bearrings? I can't seem to find the bearrings except online.