• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Honed Forster FL Sizing Die for 6.5 CM Owners

Dutch260

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Katy, TX
This is probably a question with a fairly narrow scope but I wanted to see what you guys with honed Forster FL sizing dies are having them honed to for your 6.5 CM?

Ideally I would like to be able to order a honed die/dies right off the bat rather than receiving it, measuring loaded cases, then sending it back to have it honed. I understand that for each brand of brass the measurement will be a little different as well as everyone may be loading to different neck tensions which is why I'm hoping to get a decent sample size with this thread.

I will primarily be looking to load Lapua SRP brass shooting for the go to neck tension of .002 but it would be nice to also get the dimensions for anyone using say Alpha Brass or even Peterson Brass just in case I need some options down the road.

I thought about just calling Forster to pick their brain but I figured I'd start here first and see what you guys have to say. This will be first step into the world of sizing for specific neck dimensions aiming for precise neck tensions as I've previously only used the a basic RCBS FL sizer die with expander ball so please forgive any ignorance shown in my thought process on this.

Thanks in advance!

This is probably a question with a fairly narrow scope but I wanted to see what you guys with honed Forster FL sizing dies are having them honed to for your 6.5 CM?

Ideally I would like to be able to order a honed die/dies right off the bat rather than receiving it, measuring loaded cases, then sending it back to have it honed. I understand that for each brand of brass the measurement will be a little different as well as everyone may be loading to different neck tensions which is why I'm hoping to get a decent sample size with this thread.

I will primarily be looking to load Lapua SRP brass shooting for the go to neck tension of .002 but it would be nice to also get the dimensions for anyone using say Alpha Brass or even Peterson Brass just in case I need some options down the road.

I thought about just calling Forster to pick their brain but I figured I'd start here first and see what you guys have to say. This will be first step into the world of sizing for specific neck dimensions aiming for precise neck tensions as I've previously only used the a basic RCBS FL sizer die with expander ball so please forgive any ignorance shown in my thought process on this.

Thanks in advance!
I choose my brass, load some cases with a traditional die, then measure and order my Forster die and get it honed to suit.
It doesn’t matter what die you use to get your measurement first. Borrow a die or ask for a dummy round off the forum/gunshop.

I'd not want to paint myself into a corner with a honed die for the 6.5 CM unless sticking to one brand of brass.

Bushings man, bushings.

Id recommend sending forster fired cases and tell them what you want for shoulder bump. This is what I did for all my precision rifle loads 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 , and 223. Works great. Plus it's only $12 .
Works exceptionally well for me .

Honing a die is for neck tension not for shoulder bump....Shoulder bump is controlled by how far you screw the die down...

I have various honed dies for even same caliber. Some are for Lapua rifle brass, others are for LC brass.

What I do is have my Forster FL Sizing die honed to be .004 under loaded neck diameter. This allows me to bump the shoulder back and squeeze the neck down .004 then I use a 21st Century TiN expander mandrel to open it up .002 which results in .002 neck tension.

If you dont plan to use a mandrel then I would have the die honed to .004 still and use expander ball to open neck back up to remove dings and stuff otherwise just .002 under loaded if you dont plan to use expander ball...

Reactions: bradworley
Id recommend sending forster fired cases and tell them what you want for shoulder bump.

So you had them hone the dies for both a specific neck tension AND a desired shoulder bump? @padom - you beat me to it before I could hit send. And I plan on doing just that. I would FL size with the honed die and then use an expander mandrel to open it back up. I guess my main goal was to try and get it all right from the get go so that whenever my dies and stuff arrive I could take virgin brass and essential start with all my desired specs right off the bat. As opposed to having to get new brass, load rounds, measure, and then send back to Forster for honing, then wait to receive it back once again. The dies aren't terribly expensive either so like you I'd be okay with having a couple honed dies if I expand into other brands of brass.

@Dai Bando - I'm not opposed to say a Redding Type S bushing die by any means, but I don't see myself likely using anything other than Lapua and probably wouldn't have more than a couple hundred pcs of brass. But I def see the benefit/flexibility of a bushing die where you can simply change out a bushing and start loading Prime brass if you wanted without being married to only Lapua.

Last edited:
I sent Forster lapua SRP 6.5 CM and their stock forster FLS non bushing die, and they sent it back saying that based on the brass, it didn't need to be honed. I honestly was too lazy to measure anything or second guess them, but it was a waste of time in my opinion. The main reason we are talking about honing is to avoid oversizing and overworking the brass- I would say much less important a feature if you are annealing nearly every time.

The honing gets it to a dimensional number, and we set final neck tension w/ an expander mandrel.

I'd not want to paint myself into a corner with a honed die for the 6.5 CM unless sticking to one brand of brass.

Bushings man, bushings.

yeah bushing dies seem to have gotten a reputation on SH recently as being 'not as good' as honed non bushing. It all comes down to concentricity and the bushing dies do seem to have a bit more concentricity on average from my dies, but I guess the real question is how much does concentricity matter? I remember being surprised that there is not much forster / honed die discussion on the Benchrest style forums- it's all bushing or custom chamber for them guys. And those guys invented the term anal retentive.

I sent Forster lapua SRP 6.5 CM and their stock forster FLS non bushing die, and they sent it back saying that based on the brass, it didn't need to be honed. I honestly was too lazy to measure anything or second guess them, but it was a waste of time in my opinion. The main reason we are talking about honing is to avoid oversizing and overworking the brass- I would say much less important a feature if you are annealing nearly every time.

The honing gets it to a dimensional number, and we set final neck tension w/ an expander mandrel.

If you didnt take measurements than how do you even know sending a die in for honing was a waste of time??? Quick example, my Forster FL sizing die was sizing Lapua .223 Match brass down 0.014 from my loaded round neck diameter. Thats WAY too much and completely unncessary. But they do this so people that buy them can use them with ALL types of .223 brass. I had them hone it to size down .004 under loaded neck diameter. Much better now.

My Forster 6.5x47L die did not need to be honed. It only sizes the neck down about .004-.005 from loaded neck diameter. This is probably because Lapua is the game in town for 6.5x47L brass....