• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
must be a misunderstanding across the board..

i saw the original picture (same as above)

i though 2aB said there WASNT one

Think I mis understood you. I read it as you were saying you "would" love a bubble level on the mount.

Ma bad ?

Carry on.

Imma get me one of them mounts!

Hi,

So the Aspis and Kopis components are heading to heat treatment today, while the Apsis chassis gets sent to anodizing...

20191125_094050.jpg
20191125_094105.jpg
20191125_094144.jpg
20191125_094159.jpg
20191125_094252.jpg
20191125_094308.jpg

Sincerely,
Theis

@THEIS is the rifle designed off AICS mags ?

AW/AX not compaitable?

Hi,

The Kopis production version runs on AI #6852/6955 Double stack single feed.
The Aspis production version runs on AI #20400 Single stack single feed.
The Phalanx production version runs on AI #4719 Single stack single feed.

Also...We have received a few emails inquiring basically on the same question of "Why is the breech cylinder not designed/used as a "traditional" barrel extension"...

See below image:
2019-11-26 - Copy.png

So figured would be great to address that head on in this thread :)

The technical reason(s):
1. We would have to make the entire receiver and consequently the bolt a larger diameter if we had the barrel thread into the "traditional" barrel extension design. But the way this is engineered we can keep the overall size smaller because the barrel extension does not have threads on the inside of it and such. The breech cylinder fits into the receiver body and then is pinned in place but is also held in place via the barrel since the barrel threads into the receiver body directly.

2. We wanted this design so that in the future if we ever wanted to make an aluminum or any other lightweight alloy receiver body we can use the same high strength components as already manufactured.

The philosophical reason(s):
1. We feel the "standard" in the industry of x bolt body diameter in relation to y bolt lug diameter in relation to z receiver diameter adding up to "action strength" is decades too late in being revised. This design does not count on xyz relationship diameters for its' strength; it relies on carefully chosen alloys, tolerances, machining procedures, specific component heat treatment specifications, etc etc to achieve its' strength, durability and reliability.
2. Pretty much nothing on this design and its' procedures are traditional/normal thought process in the industry :).

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Everyone here at Hoplite Arms hopes all of you are able to sit back and cherish some of the memories you and your families have made this year.

We Thank those that are currently deployed or spinning up for deployment that cannot be with their birth family and wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving with your Military family.

We wish all the LEO and first responders a safe Holiday weekend out on the roads.

Sincerely,
Theis and the entire Hoplite team.

Screenshot_20191128-075711.jpg

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too.

It’s interesting that the turkeys are armed with AK variants. Is that a statement?:unsure:

Exactly...chi-com turkeys (for those of you know The Green Barets by heart)

Spring Black bear hunt for 2021 lined up.

but there will be meat on the table before that.

thinking going back again for wolf hunt in Canada feb-March 2021

Toss this thing in some -30 and snow to see how it works.

Reactions: THEIS
Toss this thing in some -30 and snow to see how it works.

Hi,

Well....it was designed, engineered, prototyped and tested in the Finland Winters so no problems should arise :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Many turkeys were consumed during the manufacturing of Hoplite rifles.

Hi,

I actually prefer skinless and boneless sardines to a damn turkey, hahaha

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Well....it was designed, engineered, prototyped and tested in the Finland Winters so no problems should arise :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

I actually prefer skinless and boneless sardines to a damn turkey, hahaha

Sincerely,
Theis
<<<<<<loves sardines!!!!!

if your new Hoplte rifle shoots awesome but is a bit stinky we’ll know why now!

Hi,

Well, since the Aspis and Kopis parts are all sitting at heat treatment facility, I figured it would be a great time to highlight one of the features of the upcoming Phalanx weapon system receiver......This little improvement allows for better cartridge pickup of the big cases from the AI magazine.

Sincerely,
Theis

2019-11-29_LI - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Do I correctly interpret that as a little nub sticking out the bottom of the bolt? If so, the clearance cut in the bottom lug / feed ramp would help prevent damage to the tip of the bullet...

Reactions: lash
Hi,

As mentioned previously :)

The devil is in the details. Here is "cutaway" of the feed ramps. The enhanced feed design of the bolt lugs and the dual feed ramp design is a perfect combination of minutia coming together for the greater good.

For decades the big guns have had to deal with dinging projectiles due to overall weight of the ammunition, design of the action feeding, the magazine seating specifications, etc etc etc....Now we can move past those nuisances and focus on the environment, wind and target.

Sincerely,
Theis

1575118329189.png

Last edited:
Wow Theis, pretty darn cool. I can’t think of anything this innovative since... maybe the Barrett M82, and I think as far as innovation your project goes deeper than that.
The high pressure cartridges can really have a long term effect on the firearms industry! Time will tell, but I’m excited to see where this ends up!!

I was on your website but I didn’t see any Black Friday sales incentives, small business Saturday coupons, or even a cyber Monday flier. You should probably have a talk with your web master!!

Awesome is as awesome does. ?

• Haha
I was on your website but I didn’t see any Black Friday sales incentives, small business Saturday coupons, or even a cyber Monday flier. You should probably have a talk with your web master!!

I think @THEIS is already counting on there being an unruly mob waving stacks of cash at him and demanding he take all their money now.
He probably won't need none of that discounting stuff to drive people to snap up all his initial production run... HA!

Here is a picture of me and several others about now as we wait for well.....:

Last edited:
Hi,

Do you have any of the following lol:

Corbin Hydro Press
Hensoldt Spotter 60
CK Arms "Open" in 9mm
Jeep Gladiator with Hemi conversion
24' Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat

Sincerely,
Theis
I’m not at liberty to discuss this on an open and public forum.
Sorry, I’m just not that comfortable with it. I mean, just because they no longer post my photo in the post office doesn’t mean the coast is clear... ?

He’s actually the exact opposite...

Instead of preorders he mocked me when I threw money at him

Hi,

Wasn't mocking you per say, but more along the lines of the industry as a whole with the "Pre-Order" business models.

Sincerely,
Theis

So, any word on this coming to fruition or is it still a junior high circle jerk around a picture of Kathy Ireland in a swimsuit?

Hi,

LOLOL don't you have some kids running around that need looking out after or some stairs that need to be used as stress relief from taking care of the kids, :)

All Aspis and Kopis parts are at heat treatment and under gas vacuum as I type, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

From the same issue of SI
Elle McPherson
Nickname “the body” nuff said.

now back to buying rifles

Waiting on photos with Kathy I. holding a Hoplite rifle...surely someone will be able to photoshop young Kathy with a Hoplite rifle. I wonder what the chaps behind the rifle design and r&d are thinking of this. They’re probably placing bets now on which one will get more rubbing off done. Kathy or the rifle ???

I think @THEIS is already counting on there being an unruly mob waving stacks of cash at him and demanding he take all their money now.
He probably won't need none of that discounting stuff to drive people to snap up all his initial production run... HA!

Here is a picture of me and several others about now as we wait for well.....:

I want to be this...

but unfortunately, right now my meme is holding a couple hands full of coins and all the pics I could find were copywrited. It’s okay though. I’ll save up and make the coins add up to dollars and then buy a premium system. I’ve been a burger and fries guy most of my shooting life. May be time for a filet and jumbo shrimp, with two fingers of premium scotch.

Waiting on photos with Kathy I. holding a Hoplite rifle...surely someone will be able to photoshop young Kathy with a Hoplite rifle. I wonder what the chaps behind the rifle design and r&d are thinking of this. They’re probably placing bets now on which one will get more rubbing off done. Kathy or the rifle ???
If someone wants to ship me a rifle (good luck getting it back;)), I can get Kathy to hold it while I photograph her as she goes to the same church as me.

Reactions: AMGtuned
If someone wants to ship me a rifle (good luck getting it back;)), I can get Kathy to hold it while I photograph her as she goes to the same church as me.
Well, tell her we’re all thinking of her now!????
Wait!!! Are you saying she actually likes guns???

Well, tell her we’re all thinking of her now!????
Wait!!! Are you saying she actually likes guns???
I could probably do that but I only know her from seeing her in the halls and small talk. She keeps a low profile. I am 6'2" and she is tiny in person.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
Hi,

Non picture update, :).

The last of the receiver components come out of the gas fnc today. The components (Receiver body and bolt) will be put on the machines tomorrow to have the final tolerance dimensions/specifications cut.

We decided to cut final tolerance dimensions after heat treatment to ensure the final product tolerances equal the design tolerances.

We also opted to utilize gas fnc heat treatment/hardening over some of the other more commonly used methods because for our alloys, design and purposes it provides the least amount of distortion per length ratio possible; even though we are cutting final tolerance dimensions after heat treatment.

Just another method to the madness update :).

Action and Chassis assembly slotted to begin Monday 16th.

Sincerely,
Theis

Looking forward to seeing the final product. (y)

Hi,

We will be setting up our mock Shot Show booth up in the warehouse to give the members here that are not going to Shot Show a chance to preview what those at the show will be seeing :)

We are also going to of course have a boatload of high resolution, zoomable pictures; along with videos going up on website over next couple weeks.

Sincerely,
Theis

Having been through this recently in my work:
  • What case depth are you using for the gas FNC?
  • Remember that the epsilon later you’ll be machining away gives you your corrosion performance. Will you be re-gas-FNCing?

@THEIS

42CrMo4? Are you hailing from Europe?

I built my first bolt action with this steel as an apprentice some 40 years ago. Same idea with recessed lugs and locking ring after I found out what a pain it is to broach grooves through the entire receiver lengths. That's why we had to do an abbreviated apprenticeship as engineering students. To learn that what looks great on paper may not work out so great in manufacturing.

Just saw this thread and I am obviously late to the party. I'll keep my eyes on version 2 and will make some suggestions then. Little things; what you have so far looks sound. I am glad more people stop just cloning the 700 action.

Last edited:
Having been through this recently in my work:
  • What case depth are you using for the gas FNC?
  • Remember that the epsilon later you’ll be machining away gives you your corrosion performance. Will you be re-gas-FNCing?

Hi,

Ok, so after going through emails upon emails I called up Paulo and spoke to the metallurgical engineer assigned to my account!!

I misspoke in regards to FNC....I have updated all my documents :)

Since FNC only provides a certain case depth hardening as you mentioned; it was decided (due to our desires for high pressure capabilities) that we through harden.
Paulo done that by computer controlled vacuum heat treatment on every part of the receiver except the bolt guide and firing pin; those are done by induction hardening.

We have a secondary process for anti-corrosion and low friction coating.

Discount code to @gnochi for the brainwork, :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.