• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Hoping to get the call from Birdsong tomorrow that my coated products are ready.

They have lots of different colors and variations of colors than listed on their website and since I told Wally to basically "surprise" me with color, color schemes and color combinations......I cannot wait to see what he come up with.

Here is fully assembled Kopis (top) and Aspis (bottom) in the raw metal form that are destined for NST testing facility for destruction testing.

View attachment 7217940

Sincerely,
Theis

Looks great, reminds me of a bigger Tikka T3.

Reactions: THEIS
Hi,

Well..there are a couple cosmetic flaws on these 2 as they were used for proofing out all the machining operations so they cannot ever get into the wild via a customer!!

Sincerely,
Theis

blems?

Maybe you can donate them to the club I’m affiliated with.
The PRPC.
Our mission at the Precision Rifle Poors Club is to support those who partied maybe a bit much and chased poon and kegs instead of doing our homework.

Theis,
Have you/are you finding/working solutions for running your cartridges at 80kpsi as far as barrel life is concerned? Are structured (tacom) or sleeved (Teludyne) style barrels in that orbit to reduce wear through greater heat mitigation? DO you have another method(s) with coatings melonite etc that you would care to share? I've read this whole thread over the last month and I may have missed that.
I understand that barrels are consumables but really good ones are tough to let go of when you get one.
Thanks in advance

Hi,

My new RRS tripod and ballhead arrived today from @Praeger and decided to check fit of our handguard....great!!!

20200106_123230.jpg
20200106_122534.jpg
20200106_122544.jpg

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

@ubettcha
You did not miss that information in the thread as it is still a work in progress..hence why the HP cartridges data has not been released.

We at Hoplite Arms are currently working with a ceramic lining company but are still in the thickness, consistency and methodology to ensure precision stages of our talks. Hoping to have more on that towards summer months.

Right now, since we are able to essentially use a faster burning powder than what would normally be used because we are not limited to a pressure threshold per say....we are able to shorten the burn rate aka time under heat of the ignition by having the fast burn of the powder which helps reduce the throat burnout.

We also are pretty much running strictly monolithics of a very small engraving area to help reduce the overall wear and tear of the barrel but as we all know....the throat heat is the enemy way more than engraving area of projectile.

I personally see no advantage of those barrel types since the heat generated from the powder ignition remains the same no matter how fast the heat dissipates from the barrel itself...IMO that is.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: ubettcha
Hi,

@ubettcha
You did not miss that information in the thread as it is still a work in progress..hence why the HP cartridges data has not been released.

We at Hoplite Arms are currently working with a ceramic lining company but are still in the thickness, consistency and methodology to ensure precision stages of our talks. Hoping to have more on that towards summer months.

Right now, since we are able to essentially use a faster burning powder than what would normally be used because we are not limited to a pressure threshold per say....we are able to shorten the burn rate aka time under heat of the ignition by having the fast burn of the powder which helps reduce the throat burnout.

We also are pretty much running strictly monolithics of a very small engraving area to help reduce the overall wear and tear of the barrel but as we all know....the throat heat is the enemy way more than engraving area of projectile.

I personally see no advantage of those barrel types since the heat generated from the powder ignition remains the same no matter how fast the heat dissipates from the barrel itself...IMO that is.

Sincerely,
Theis
Similar to the Otis ceramic life liner or hopefully much improved? Just watching how this is coming together I'm sure your approach is well thought out with conclusive testing. Isn't the faster powders more prone to throat wear with the highest heat at their peak pressure earlier in the pulse over the longer pulse of a slow single based powder like H1000? I'm basing that on the reason the 6mm competition match over the 243 was due to the use of H1000 over 4350 without crunching powder. THis lengthened barrel life due to the cooler throat temps of H1000 in that instance.
Looking for the education not questioning your answer as IDK
Thanks in advance

Reactions: TACC and THEIS
Hi,

@ubettcha

Sounds like a great test for a 3rd party testing entity to conduct :)
We utilize NTS for all of our independent testing requirements.

In regards to the ceramic barrel interior....significantly different than the Otis product.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

@ubettcha

Sounds like a great test for a 3rd party testing entity to conduct :)
We utilize NTS for all of our independent testing requirements.

In regards to the ceramic barrel interior....significantly different than the Otis product.

Sincerely,
Theis
Thanks. and great. I hope you will provide a service for that treatment for barrels once your up n running. I guinea pigged a decent 556 on that Otis method and it wasn't like the advertisement is all I can say.

Hi,

That might be one of the best write-ups and information about Birdsong coating on the www.

We are doing the entire receiver, bolt assembly, breech cylinder, trigger, etc etc all the way down to pins, springs and screws. Inside and Out.

OT: Now if you really want to read about an interesting coating....read about Birdsongs WMDTox: Chemical Nerve Agent Self Decontamination Technology.

Sincerely,
Theis

Random, but any idea how that coating would hold up to acidic atmosphere as per milstd810?

Hi,

Are you referring to Test Method 518.2 Acidic Atmosphere?

Mil Std 810 is a broad "guidance" platform.

Sincerely,
Theis

I misspoke, its a ASTM G85 Appendix 4 SO2 salt fog corrosion test, 500 hour test. (sorry for the derail)

Hi,

I haven't read ASTM G85 Appendix 4 but over 1500 hours of ASTM 117 Salt spray.

Sincerely,
Theis

Interesting, I will def check it out, appreciate the knowledge.

Reactions: TACC
You can roughly approximate 100 hours of ASTM B117 as matching 1 day of ASTM G85. It’s nowhere near that simple, but that should get you in the ballpark for coated non-electrically-connected metallics.

CrN PVD is the most impressive coating I’ve ever seen at 1000h ASTM G85 and barely measurable mass loss on a bolt.

You can roughly approximate 100 hours of ASTM B117 as matching 1 day of ASTM G85. It’s nowhere near that simple, but that should get you in the ballpark for coated non-electrically-connected metallics.

CrN PVD is the most impressive coating I’ve ever seen at 1000h ASTM G85 and barely measurable mass loss on a bolt.

That starts to venture into the realm of nadcap houses though, no?

I’m thinking copperhead or gray if the rest is black.
Won’t make me spray paint my scopes either

Maybe one in NYJets green and just suck all year every year for me.

Theis can sell it as a bolt action shotgun the accuracy will be so bad

• Haha
This thread makes me reconsider build plans for a rifle until this comes to market.

@THEIS

Any idea on the weight of the short action rifles in the chassis and Sentinel?

This thread makes me reconsider build plans for a rifle until this comes to market.

@THEIS

Any idea on the weight of the short action rifles in the chassis and Sentinel?
Same. Was going to build a custom rifle but think I’m going to save for this instead

Are we sub $3k on the Kopis line production level?

Hi,

That would be a no.
You do realize that a Sentinel stock alone is right over $1200?
We are not competing with RPR market......There are lots of decent rifles in that cost bracket for that intended market to pick from; We at Hoplite Arms will not be joining that market circle by DESIGN and PURPOSE.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.