• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
See.... That is how they get ya. They don't just make a quality product with high visibility and open specs. They go and develop swag and flaunt it all over the place. You too can own a limited edition Hoplite sticker/coffee mug/sideways t shirt. I hear the collectors t-shirts are going to be a little spendy, but they throw in a free rifle once the phone banks open up to take orders.
But wait.....there’s more. Will update as soon as the embroidery machine is finished.
Sincerely,
Jamie

Last edited:
Is there a special limited time offer going on that says I can get additional swag for free, just pay additional shipping and handling.

Hoplite the Lunchbox, Hoplite the coloring book, etc. Hell, even a action figure (doll) based on Theis would sell well. Wait, on second thought scratch that idea. Too many deviants here on the hide.

Last edited:
9A245AB2-2CAE-467F-A2C3-1DF2FE0A4D36.jpeg
Hoplite Arms hats are a PASS. Up next, more clothing.....and maybe a temporary tattoo to wear at my next ELR shoot next week.
Sincerely,
Jamie

Hi,

OK so time for an official update for all your technical information followers, lol...

Short and Sweet because the information speaks for itself, haha....

ALLOY CHANGE:
Bolt and Breech cylinder have both been changed to the "Super Alloy" Aermet 100!!
The properties of this super alloy will let us push the safe pressure envelope to x2.5 what current case alloys themselves will take and that is by design for a reason, lol.
The properties of this super alloy will let us back up our claim of having one of the most rugged weapon systems being made.

Sincerely,
Theis

i though Hoplite was a firearms company, now its using USN landing gear material...lol

thats expensive enough that they are looking for a lower cost alternative.

i get seas sick but if it can take the pounding of naval landing gear, i guess it will handle my range day.

Aermet 100:

Aircraft landing gear components are subjected to some of the highest stresses on an air vehicle. Common materials used today by the United States 300M, and AerMet 100. AerMet 100 has superior material properties to 4340 and 300M. These landing gear materials are chosen because of their material properties and the austere environment in which USN aircraft operate. The USN air vehicle environment facilitates this need for a high-strength, high fracture toughness, corrosion-resistant metal alloys.

Landing gear components made from AerMet 100 has had success within the USN. However this is an expensive, limited supply material. The USN is interested in pursuing an alternative to AerMet 100 with the development of a high-strength, fracture-tough, corrosion resistant, lower cost metal alloy. The nominal material property values for AerMet 100 are 250-ksi 0.2 percent yield strength, 285-ksi ultimate strength, and 100 ksivin. Modeling and simulation (M & S) technology could be used to develop this material for the USN.

Reactions: Tokay444
Hi,

LOLOLOL...what a coincidence....I did get my USA citizenship through the USN, lolol

So lets see....
Cycling a receiver bolt vs friction/stress imparted onto aircraft landing gear pins......which should wear out first, hahaha
Receiver bolt/breech cylinder holding up to higher cartridge pressures vs what is essentially a controlled crash landing on aircraft carrier, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

Only mfg i can find is KAC (possibly LMt but have not onfirmed) use Aermet 100 for their bolts.

Considered a upgrade from the original M-16's bolt

9310 steel (original)
to
Carpenter 158
to
Aermet 100 (strongest of the 3)

i could be wrong though, waiting for someone else to chime in as well

Hi,

LMT "states" they use a proprietary alloy in their BCG.

Sincerely,
Theis

I must have bumped into a forum and "learned" about LMT...stand corrected,

What i do know is that no one uses it in a bolt action.

My guess is because the Hoplite design uses a breech cylinder its not cost prohibitive to use a superior material.

If the design was the run of the mill/R700 of sorts receiver design the cost of a Aermet 100 receiver would price it out of the market.

@THEIS - This entire thread has been a very interesting read...VERY interesting and I also would like to applaud your openess, transparency, and customer focus. All virtues to my mind.

Question, I looked on LARS site and I believe that they are listing those chassis at 7.3 lbs which seems quite heavy considering that I believe that even J Allen got the JAE-700 down to 5.5 lbs from 6.5 in the Gen II ( I think...).

What do you think these guns will come in at in finished weight (making assumptions about barrel length) when mounted in these chassis?

Thank you and I look forward to continuing to read this very interesting saga in weapon systems development.

Cheers

@THEIS - This entire thread has been a very interesting read...VERY interesting and I also would like to applaud your openess, transparency, and customer focus. All virtues to my mind.

Question, I looked on LARS site and I believe that they are listing those chassis at 7.3 lbs which seems quite heavy considering that I believe that even J Allen got the JAE-700 down to 5.5 lbs from 6.5 in the Gen II ( I think...).

What do you think these guns will come in at in finished weight (making assumptions about barrel length) when mounted in these chassis?

Thank you and I look forward to continuing to read this very interesting saga in weapon systems development.

Cheers

Hi,

I will get some weights this evening for you with a couple different barrel lengths.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Baron23
An ar10 that could handle the high pressures would be money. But the one flaw i see that no one address is barrel life. Surely their is some new material, coating, or manufacturing process that can be implemented on a barrel to greatly increase barrel life without costing a ridiculous amount.

• Haha
Reactions: THEIS
An ar10 that could handle the high pressures would be money. But the one flaw i see that no one address is barrel life. Surely their is some new material, coating, or manufacturing process that can be implemented on a barrel to greatly increase barrel life without costing a ridiculous amount.
Well what you to is start with a ridiculously long barrel and just keep cutting and rechambering it. It’s not the barrel that wears out it’s the chamber.

Just shoot 308
Lasts for ages, problems solved.
Well what you to is start with a ridiculously long barrel and just keep cutting and rechambering it. It’s not the barrel that wears out it’s the chamber.
lol
Chamber doesn’t wear, the throat and a few inches in front of it certainly does though.

Hi,

Let me know when you have everything ready for production and I will provide you an alloy requirement part by part so you can do that.

Sincerely,
Theis

How hard is machining the new breech ring and bolt material Thies?

Hi,

Not bad..in its' annealed state it is only something like a 38-42 HRC. The magic comes in once it is age hardened.

Sincerely,
Theis

@Baron23
Weights with MTU contours will go from 16.5 to 22.5 give or take depending on length.

Sincerely,
Theis

@THEIS PM inbound I have a Idea/project you might be interested in.

Reactions: THEIS
*sigh. Damnit Theis. You keep adding more and more awesomeness to this wunderwaffe, and all I can feel in my heart is a terrible sinking feeling. That sinking feeling is that the MSRP is continuing to pass the point that us poors will only be able to dream of a Hoplite and perhaps fingerfuck one at a local match or at shot show. I am going to go activate my emergency financial plan of using my lunch money to buy Scratch-it lottery tickets. I can stand to lose a few pounds anyway.

Reactions: Slowroll
*sigh. Damnit Theis. You keep adding more and more awesomeness to this wunderwaffe, and all I can feel in my heart is a terrible sinking feeling. That sinking feeling is that the MSRP is continuing to pass the point that us poors will only be able to dream of a Hoplite and perhaps fingerfuck one at a local match or at shot show.

There looks to be plans in the works for all kinds of cool merchandise, so if you can't yet get the rifle, you can get all the branded merchandise in the mean time.

Maybe somebody will make a big coffee table book with pictures and details and specs and technical details and such. Cartridges and so on that you could purchase and then enjoy looking through while saving up for said rifle and selling other "unneeded" stuff?

Perhaps I will go find out what this Mil-Sim shit is and why it is so popular and find a die cast model/airsoft version of a Hoplite. LOL. I'll be a the coolest tier 1.5 operator in the milsim group. A dwarf among midgets. (wait, is that offensive to Frank?)

Hi,

LOLOLOLOL @bigdaddydmd
FWIW a person can survive on Skinless/Boneless sardines for a long long time, lol...They are a little healthier than ramen.....

We are coming in with the top line price market in our sights on purpose!

The market is full of great rifles both factory and custom built that everyone from the penny pincher to the investment banker has options to suit their budget but the trend in products over the past few years has been more and more catered to the mid level budget down to penny pincher market. That has left the mid budget to top line budget market wide open in our opinions.

We are not attempting to compete with the mid level down sector of the industry. There are just way too many great rifles and builders in that sector already.

We are pushing the envelope in performance and alloy specifications in a manner to facilitate and justify our entry into the top line price market.
In doing so we knew in the beginning we were going to have to put function as the driver and not a price.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
I understand completely and do not fault you one damn bit on your business plan. I can't wait to see these out in the wild and at matches. Who knows, maybe I'll renew my CDL and get an job driving the Hoplite truck around. Employee discount has to be worth at least 3-5% off right?????

Status
Not open for further replies.