• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
What coating would you put on the bolt lugs and the action lugs?

they take the hardest beating

if you use the sacrificial coating either the bolt lugs or the action lugs “will shrink” after every cycle (although it may take time) changing chamber dimensions.

or possibly wearing uneven and causing one lug or a part of one lug taking all the force.

thanks
On second thought possibly the bolt lug mating surfaces might need to be skimmed off? Not sure since the coating will take up to 400,000 psi.
DLC on bolt lugs & for the receiver lugs I don't know? The coating can take a lot of pressure (400,000 psi) so maybe just limit coating build up to about .001. That way even if you managed to completely wear it off (not really possible) your only +.001 on head space.

The Fluoropolymer coating is kind of an oddity in it's properties & we're not used to thinking about coatings like this.
My choice of words "sacrificial" kind of implies soft, but it's not.
It does not wear or de-bond easily. It actually penetrates the base metal i.e. bond goes below surface. What makes it pretty unique is it's ability to allow small hard particles to embed instead of lock things up.
Think of it this way: Even with a hand full of sand (silica particles) embedded in the Fluoropolymer you'd still have maybe 10% hard on hard wear surface vs 100% when you've got both bolt and receiver DLC'd or Nitrided.

Alternatively you could mask the receiver lugs leaving the base nitride, but that would kind of defeat the potential to re-coat & return the entire receiver to original spec.
It would still protect the DLC bolt from wear as well as the receiver raceways + run slick and reliable in adverse conditions.

Hoplite is pushing the envelope (Bravo!), so I'm just positing thoughts to that aim.

I've got some other ideas surounding the use of ceramic's for the high pressure rounds, but that's down the road.

Reactions: brianf
Outcome was that pins and pistons were destroyed in 1 x 1/4 mile pass....
Not sure you can compare the duty cycle of a IHRA engine to that of a precision rifle. IHRA engine going 10.5k rpm. 8 second full RPM run (never mind start, idle and burnout). 1400 engine revolutions during that 8 seconds with almost instant repeated pressure spikes and release.

Not an engineer, but I am a thinkin' that the coatings on the rifle will handle it for the 6-10 shots in a 90 second stage for much better than the 1400 rounds down the pipe based on those numbers.

Reactions: brianf
Lots and lots equipment failures from more than half of everyone shooting. Two people in my squad with mag feeding issues with magpul mags and everyone with gritty/sticky bolts
Not sure you can compare the duty cycle of a IHRA engine to that of a precision rifle.
@Sticks - Agreed & wasn’t trying to compare load/duty cycles. Just an example to show Hard on Hard doesn’t play well together. From a load/galling standpoint your 100% correct. Completely unnecessary on a bolt gun…unless you wedge something hard between the 2 surfaces.

Is it needed in a bolt rifle? Not really for any sporting scinareo. Then again if your on a 2 way range and mother nature decides to fill you action with dirt it might be a life saver.

AR’s already incorporate this practice.
That’s why they‘re able to deal with dirt mud etc.
Nitride/DLC BCG riding on Teflon or some variant dryfilm coating over aluminum. Hence it will eat mud & keep running.

Engine bearings are another good illustration. This particular Fluoropolymer coating has been extensively tested (Iroc series, IHRA, NHRA etc). Bearings are Trimetal or Bimetal with steel backing covered with Tin/lead then Fluoropolymer or (PTFE not as good) coating.
Crank journals are Nitrited. Any grit introduced between crank and bearing just gets embedded rather then gouging everything. During oil pump cavitation/oil loss the Coating makes up for lack of lube.
This coating has been put on top fuel Bi metal bearings & it did not come off. It was just for testing as it’s a complete waste of effort in top fuel.
To put that load in perspective. A Top fuel motor only makes about 630 revolutions light to light and when done the steel backing has been extruded out the sides.

Above is a quote from @Juggerxxx from the ARC mag thread. Context was a Windy match that caused a lot of equipment to go down.

This is what I’m talking about. Wedge some diamond hard grit between 2 diamond hard surfaces and your done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juggerxxx
Hi,

@357Max
Thanks for the Polydyn information; as if I did not have enough to do this weekend, lolol.....

So it appears IF their advertisements are correct...they can treat/coat with .0003 buildup; which actually would line up damn near identical with our currently spec'd manufacturers drawings for Birdsong as the coating.

We have no raceways in our receiver bodies so that is one less issue for us to worry about in regards of shit getting in/on them.

So would be our bolt, breech cylinder, bolt guide/bolt stop, and bayonet piece of the firing pin......

Will give them a call Tuesday to chat with them about a few things.

Diamond Chromium coatings are also something of interest to me :)...its' 98Rc finish with .09 friction coefficient (sliding, not static) of coating to coating.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: lash
So you are in a shooting requirement situation and a sand/dust storm picks up and this grit gets imbedded into your coating....now what? You can keep shooting and your equipment does not go down, but after is the question. How or can you get said shit un-imbedded? Do you now have a silica treated component that feels like 180 grit sandpaper?

Thesis - have you done a dust/grit test yet with your system? Your tolerances are not as tight as an engine (except bolt lugs at lockup). Might be a situation that the silica threat will just get grounded into a finer gradation w/o lockup of the system, and not be an issue other than a feel when cycleing and hell on the brass and chamber. Annoying but a quick duche will get it clean and normal.

Thesis - have you done a dust/grit test yet with your system? Your tolerances are not as tight as an engine (except bolt lugs at lockup). Might be a situation that the silica threat will just get grounded into a finer gradation w/o lockup of the system, and not be an issue other than a feel when cycleing and hell on the brass and chamber. Annoying but a quick duche will get it clean and normal.

Hi,

Have filled them loosely with dirt and sand along with filled them then packed dirt and sand by stepping on the receiver, lol....

Sincerely,
Theis

Goal is to become a better shooter before release so I can buy one without being a douchebag :LOL:

So you are in a shooting requirement situation and a sand/dust storm picks up and this grit gets imbedded into your coating....now what? You can keep shooting and your equipment does not go down, but after is the question. How or can you get said shit un-imbedded? Do you now have a silica treated component that feels like 180 grit sandpaper?

It’s got nothing to do with tolerances.

Reactions: 308pirate

You should start your own company and produce a rifle to show us how to do it.

Goal is to become a better shooter before release so I can buy one without being a douchebag :LOL:

Hi,

We have training division to take care of that with you.

We can do all sorts of specialized training with you; from diagnostics of bad fundamentals to behavioral modifications...

Sincerely,
Theis

Tolerances are not the same thing as fits

Hi,

Tolerances and CLEARANCES might just be one of, if not the most commonly used errors on the internet....well....right behind nitride coatings, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

So going through the 3D models once again...NOW with the sole purpose of checking viability to bond the receiver to the chassis just in case it is requested by any legal departments for agency utilization or any international gov solicitation/tender.

So X marks the spot, lolol.....hole has to be machined through here in order to access the magazine adjustment catch. We will be able to not only remove/replace the adjustment catch but also adjust it without removing the receiver from the chassis.
Just drop the bottom center section off (Action screws are not touched in doing that) and have easy access to the screw hole.

Same concept for the bolt stop/bolt guide screw....

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi Theis, pet pieve spelling nitpick on website... on the “ABOUT” page the sentence starting with “Those core principals...” should read as “Those core principles...”

Corrected. TY. I am not always checking this thread so it's the first I saw this.... If you/any think of it please @ me any site corrections as this way it's one less thing Theis has to remember. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: AMGtuned
I am not always checking this thread so it's the first I saw this.... If you/any think of it please PM or @ me any corrections as this way it's one less thing Theis has to remember.

Hi,

LOLOLOL did I forget to remember something to pass along to you, lol?? I cannot remember, haha.

The new "About Us" information corrects the peeve, :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

My version of spelling bee...lol
View attachment 7558125

Sincerely,
Theis

Ok class .... and THIS is why RAW format + Photoshop is your Camera's bestest friend. And a good Photographer always helps.. lol And an obedient lighting sherpa (name omitted to protect the guilty) was essential too...

gallery31.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

OK so progress of improvements is coming to an end, lol....

Production and scheduling meetings ongoing this week.

Barring any last minute revisions; will be announcing the opening of orders SHORTLY!!!!

I will attempt to have CAD engineers do a 3D model virtual "walk through" video of the entire weapon system as soon as they finish up the 2D manufacturing drawings.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Scrap receiver body machined this morning to check raw function of the new bolt stop/bolt guide design.

Bolt stop/bolt guide piece is a pure aluminum mockup that is missing a few radii and such lol, but still allows us to "feel" the bolt come to a stop against it.

All impact force is transmitted into the receiver body without ever touching the pivot screw pin thanks to the oval shaped hole recommendation from @Terry Cross .

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

It looks like it is super wide but it does not stick out further than the side of the chassis itself.
1613572192717.png

1613572244946.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Scrap receiver body machined this morning to check raw function of the new bolt stop/bolt guide design.

Bolt stop/bolt guide piece is a pure aluminum mockup that is missing a few radii and such lol, but still allows us to "feel" the bolt come to a stop against it.

All impact force is transmitted into the receiver body without ever touching the pivot screw pin thanks to the oval shaped hole recommendation from @Terry Cross .

It looks like it is super wide but it does not stick out further than the side of the chassis itself.

Sincerely,
Theis

Looks awesome.
Check your email when convenient.

./

Can you shop out the packaging creases too?
I’m a little slow on the uptake sometimes...

packaging creases, your referring to actors in brand new clothing for a Hollywood photo shoot?

if that’s what your implication is...get back in the basement and wait for moms meatloaf...you have no clue.

Reactions: lash
Hi,

T&E rifle going out for more detailed mile testing today/tomorrow in preparation for the ELRSO match next Saturday.

Will post a detailed 3D viewing of the production rifle this week so all the updates, changes, revisions, improvements, etc are finally all into 1 solidworks assembly for you all to see the exact features of production model that we will bring to market.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Hi,

So one of the things that has come up over the past few weeks of testing is the folding mechanism in regards to how to make it user adjustable tension on the hinge pivot without the use of any sort of spring.

This shoulder bolt method will allow the user to to decide how much if any tension they would like in the hinge itself once the unlock button is pressed to fold the rear piece. Just turn the allen head shoulder bolt to loosen or tighten the outside hinge to the inside block.

1613945595102.png

1613945698390.png

1613945732021.png

ALSO---- @Dthomas3523 Took it out to the 1 mile today. I will let him fill that information in, lol....as I was eating mexican food while he was handling that.

Sincerely,
Theis

So, like, uh, where are the .223 length actions ??? Asking for a friend. 🤔

Hi,

Well first, lol....even when that design is completed it will not be available in "action" only form.
Secondly....the below picture highlights perfectly where that design is at this very moment, lol
1614036924653.png

The alloy cost difference of the Aermet 100 bolt and breech cylinder would pretty much make that model 1 of the most expensive "223 length" rifles around.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Hi,

Well first, lol....even when that design is completed it will not be available in "action" only form.
Secondly....the below picture highlights perfectly where that design is at this very moment, lol
View attachment 7564079

The alloy cost difference of the Aermet 100 bolt and breech cylinder would pretty much make that model 1 of the most expensive "223 length" rifles around.

Sincerely,
Theis
LOL.......(y)(y)(y).......Thanks.

Hi,

1614106991955.png

The Aspis model rifle will officially be released to the market for ordering on or before this Friday.

We are currently putting together tiered equipment packages consisting of basics of rifle with day optics to full blown NV and thermal packages.

As I type Hoplite Arms is currently setting up vendor accounts with some of the industries Tier 1 suppliers and products in their respective fields for accessories and optics.

We are also having discussions on tiered concierge service packages consisting from basic zeroing of packaged rifle to full nothing off limits concierge services such as..
1. You want us to do load development and dope your rifle out to 1 mile.............................DONE.
2. You want us to provide 1 on 1 training to you with YOUR rifle package so that YOU get your rifle on target at 1 mile......................DONE.
3. You want us to provide you with UAVs for target monitoring/detection............................DONE
4. You want to hunt hogs at night with your NV and thermal.....................................................DONE.
5. You want to experience shooting your system from helicopter.............................................DONE.
6. You want to experience "Tactical Missions"....................................................................................DONE.
7. List goes on and on.

IF you want it, Hoplite Arms WILL provide it. Just think of Hoplite Arms as your "Tactical Concierge" lol.

Concierge services cost but the customer journey and satisfaction will not be beat by anyone in this industry.

Sincerely,
Theis

Edited To Add: Currently setup with and/or setting up with....
FixIt Sticks
ZCO
Tangent Theta
TBAC
Strictly Offensive Kit

Last edited:
holy shit dicks, that is a hell of a service provided. A fucking helo shooting course?? #ballerstatus

Reactions: RS14 and Tokay444
holy shit dicks, that is a hell of a service provided. A fucking helo shooting course?? #ballerstatus

Hi,

LOLOL nothing is off limits, haha

Want to take a training course in Ukraine, Russia, Chechnya, Jordan, Italy, Poland, etc etc........

Want to know what it feels like to be tracked by Border Patrol, haha.......................

Want to fast rope out of Mi-35 then blast away on the DShK in Russia.....................

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.