• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 106gr A-tip factory seconds

No I am just not going to do the work for you. If you aren't smart enough or willing to learn to figure it out, you don't deserve it.

No I am just not going to do the work for you. If you aren't smart enough or willing to learn to figure it out, you don't deserve it.

Honestly, I am just enjoying the banter before heading back to work this morning... Been on vacation and its my first day back so I am not overly enthusiastic to work 12 hours today. I would prefer to be at my bench or at the range. So I figured I would start the day with some humor. Thank you for contributing.

Waiting with baited breath for someone's 106 A-Tip order to come in.
2 pages and not one actually in hand :(
The 90gr seconds (.224) measure pretty good, OAL, BTO, weight. Go later this week to actually shoot some.
Will save the prime run for later.
Heavy-224-bullets.jpg

90-A-Tip-packaging.jpg

I'll ask my buddy tonight if I can grab some and take some measurements for you guys. I'll take some pics too. He said he found one that had some copper jacket funk going on where the tip was pressed in on one that he found. Like a copper jacket hang nail. I'll get some pics next to the 108 ELDM for comparison since that's all I have on hand right now.

To clarify these 106's are not 110's listed as a different weight due to them being "seconds". They are their own design developed for a specific gov contract.

I ordered some more of the 90grain A-tips in the big boxes after a range trip this AM :)
The 90 a-Tip seconds were out of stock.
Tossed in 200 of the 106's and got free shipping.
Fed Ex says will be here Saturday.
Ordered Thursday after 1PM, FedEx picked about 3pm, left KS 8PM.
I will post pictures and any measurements of a few when they get here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PRSDietitian
I ordered some more of the 90grain A-tips in the big boxes after a range trip this AM :)
The 90 a-Tip seconds were out of stock.
Tossed in 200 of the 106's and got free shipping.
Fed Ex says will be here Saturday.
I’ll be awaiting yours and @Bantam1 reports in this

Sorry guys I haven't had a chance to grab some from my buddy to get the measurements. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

I have had seconds that shot bad to great from most major manufacturers. I usually give them a try if they are something I use.

I just downloaded the 4DOF app, could someone more familiar with the app compare maybe the 106 TAP plastic tip, 110 A-Tip, and the 106 DOD?

Google Play for Android
Used default parameters and 2600fps.

FedEx just delivered :)
2600fps.JPG

OOPS bumped the wind direction arrow.

Last edited:
I just went to the 4DOF online calculator and don't see it in the library....🤷‍♂️
It's listed in 4dof as a bullet selection option. 106DOD, however it does not give the BC & something is fucky. Giving me same drops @700 as the 103eldx??? They list the 106 Tap separately so it's not that.

Going to have to true this. Mine should be here any minute.

All at 1000 yds 5 mph L2R 5mph 2790 fps
106 DOD 8.9 up 1.3L
106 TAP 8.54 up 1.2L
110 Atip 8.45 up 1.17L
That's just punching numbers in. I don't that will hold up real world. Definitely need to verify at distance. I don't much care about vertical correction being close. Seems the wind deflection on all 3 are close enough it wouldn't matter to me.
And just for comparison sake, my verified data with 105 Berger Hybrid at 2790 (6BR) is:
9.2 up 1.3L

Unlikely, as they don't catalog any 106 grain 6mm bullets.
The a tips are 110.
They would also be considered expanding bullets, a no-no according to the Hague convention.
I shoot atip in 6 & 6.5 and theyvare 110 for 6mm.

I started going through one box.
Weight and OAL, but didn't mess with BTO.
Light ones ,-0.2-0.24gr were shorter 1.323" to 1.327"
All the others were close to 1.332" OAL.
Corrected lengths in pic, 1.3xx".
106A-TipOAL.jpg

106--OAL.jpg

Last edited:
That's interesting. The 109 ELDM which is supposed to be the polymer tip version of the 110 atip, is 1.317. so this 106 is even longer

• Wow
Reactions: DubfromGA
I don't think you read any of this thread did you????
I did actually. Saying they are making some special batches of a mew atip 106 basically. I was just reiterating that 110s were what they always had. I dont see this 106 being any better IMO

• Haha
Reactions: Tokay444
This is probably excess/overrun from a mil contract.
"Hornady’s 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge (ARC) is the first time in history that the commercial announcement of a cartridge was preceded by adoption within the military. While Hornady has been extremely secretive about who adopted the cartridge, they can say that it is a “notable Department of Defense (DOD) entity.”
June 03, 2020 By Tom Beckstrand

Almost as good, but cheaper :)

Last edited:
They still don't look bad. Most seconds i've seen were about as erratic as 112 matchburners

I'm following this very closely. Interested in some upcoming reports!

So I just measured 1 100ct box... for comparison, I measured 50 105 Hybrids out of a 500ct box they measured 0.466 - 0.483 all measured on the Accuracy One OAL gauge...

I'll continue to sort the other 400 and see if this consistency holds...

These 106 A-Tips measured 0.553 - 0.565. The majority were within 0.001

Not sure why mine are so much longer. Measured again using good calipers to confirm and still getting 1.34+

IMG_4850.jpeg

Sorry to confuse....I'm not measuring actual length, I'm measuring variance using the Accuracy One OAL gauge....

My bullets didn't come to late today and I was heading out to take the family to the beach...

I didn't set it up for actual length

Sorry to confuse....I'm not measuring actual length, I'm measuring variance using the Accuracy One OAL gauge....

My bullets didn't come to late today and I was heading out to take the family to the beach...

I didn't set it up for actual length
Understood. I was looking at Rocketvapor OAL measurements which are significantly shorter

Will check ojive to base later and compare to my 105 Hybrids. Hopefully will get a chance to shoot them later this week

Reactions: padom
Double checked a couple from box one
106-from-box1.jpg

106--from-box-1.jpg

@stevenc23
OK, you got me to open box 2, and guess what?
Just pulled a few. Weights were 106 to 106.2 for the few I pulled.
106-FROM-BOX-2.jpg

I'll stop here as I don't currently have a 6mm.
Save for future or pass on to friend. Pretty much just a science experiment.
If I did use them sorting would be in order.
Total OAL of the ones I checked ranged from 1.321" to 1.343", maybe even a bigger range if I checked all 200.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevenc23
Someone over on Accurate Shooter also made a post regarding these and several of the comments mentioned that this is why they are likely "seconds".....They probably aren't going to have the same tighter specs as you'd expect from the ones that actually pass through the QC process and meet all the criteria to be top shelf quality....

Someone over on Accurate Shooter also made a post regarding these and several of the comments mentioned that this is why they are likely "seconds".....They probably aren't going to have the same tighter specs as you'd expect from the ones that actually pass through the QC process and meet all the criteria to be top shelf quality....
From what i've seen from the posts above, they have similar consistency with OAL and such as the 107 SMK's I see everyone use as a 105 berger replacement when they cant find any

Machine dialed in, bullets drop in order straight from the CNC, look ma, no hands, after process has been adjusted.
Maybe a sample taken for QC, but the process must b dialed in first.
They even give you a polishing cloth to remove lube, etc.

Bulk brown box bullets probably scooped from a bin. Might be culls to get process dialed in, or DOD didn't want to pay for the big box.

I’m not sure how Hornady seconds work. But I know Sierra Bullets are for seconds. Sierra said on the tour that the only thing is color differences from what the standard is. They are taken from lots that are known to shoot well. I bought several pounds from them at the outlet store. They shot just as good as non seconds.

Once again just an idea. I do not know Hornadys story