• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 106gr A-tip factory seconds

@padom Yeah I didn't find any in my first batch of 600. I still haven't looked at these present 300. I'll probably get at them tomorrow. I am gonna to look if the lot numbers match. Do your lot numbers match by chance? Just curious. Probably won't matter. They are seconds. Would be nice to be same lot though.

@Devildog6.5G
I didn't see lot #s on the box, there is just part# on mine, same marking on all 15 boxes. Maybe I'm being ignorant and don't see the lot# and it's there somewhere.

Reactions: Devildog6.5G
@Devildog6.5G
I didn't see lot #s on the box, there is just part# on mine, same marking on all 15 boxes. Maybe I'm being ignorant and don't see the lot# and it's there somewhere.
No, you are correct. That is the part number and not lot number. That was definitely my mess up. I was the ignorant one. I wasn't thinking that at the time I asked. Thanks for the correction.

No, you are correct. That is the part number and not lot number. That was definitely my mess up. I was the ignorant one. I wasn't thinking that at the time I asked. Thanks for the correction.
Wasn't attempting to correct, but hopefully confirm my assumption of part# VS lot#! I had one box of 100 that had bto difference of nearly 0.030. I wish these were more consistent but is what it is. Considering the BC is only 003-005 better than 107smk, I'll likely stick to them once these are gone.

Looks like they are down to 4 100ct boxes left in stock. Be interesting to see if they are gone for good after those last 4 boxes are gone or they get more of these seconds or become a retail product from Hornady

Looks like they are down to 4 100ct boxes left in stock. Be interesting to see if they are gone for good after those last 4 boxes are gone or they get more of these seconds or become a retail product from Hornady

There will be 900 more available soon, I slept on it and decided to cancel my order.

I had tried a couple hundred A-Tips a while back, and to be honest, I didn't think they were worth what they cost. These are more tempting at what they cost, but if they're an overrun, we may never see/catch them again and I feel a little weird about putting the time into getting used to shooting/loading a bullet that might not be available.

I do like that cool spark/flash you get on steel with the A-tips, but after checking my notes, I got better BC numbers and the same performance downrange from much cheaper DTACs and 112MBs. YMMV.

I just ended up ordering 1500 more 112MBs to throw on the shelf and added a box of the A-Tip Seconds to get free shipping on the order (instead of paying 25 bucks in shipping I paid an extra 25 bucks and got the box of A-Tips and free shipping).

I'll load/shoot a 100 though, and you might catch me back here whining about not buying all of them.

Last edited:
FWIW, the bullets I ordered the other day from PV showed up this morning, and aside from being a little discolored and a little ugly, the 106gn A-Tip "Seconds" look great.

For shits and giggles, I weighed 20 of the 100 A-Tips quick (A&D 120FX) and they ranged from 106.08gn - 106.54gn, a range of 0.46gn... most of them between 106.38-106.44gn. So pretty dang consistent for "seconds".

Out of curiosity, I decided to weigh 20 of the El Chepo 112gn Match Burners I like so much out of one of the boxes of 500, and they were all between 111.64gn - 111.96gn, a range of 0.58 of a grain, most between 111.80gn - 111.88gn... so not as good as the A-Tips, but not bad for 31 cents per bullet.

Not sure when I'll get to shoot them, and it's only a single box, but so far the biggest issue I see with these A-Tip Seconds is that they might be awesome, and who knows when they'll be available again...

Well, I had some unexpected downtime so I decided to load the A-Tips. They're about the same length as a 112gn Match Burner except their ogive is ~15 thou further forward towards the tip (maybe a little more hybrid/tangent than secant/VLD).

I decided to load them up the same as I've been loading the 112MBs, same charge (33gn SW Precision Rifle), without touching my seating die, which should have them jumping around 35 thou to the lands.

They look great, I may be sorry I canceled the rest I'd ordered originally...

tempImagebTCKe8.pngtempImagejlyge7.png

Well, wish I'd bought all of them (and now they're sold out, just checked).

Dear Hornady, I think I speak for most of us when I say $.75pp is a little nuts... drop the fancy packaging and Crown Royal bag, and sell these to us for $.45-.50pp in the plain old brown box.

Thanks.

In no time, lots of peeps will be like "Berger who?" lol.

Zero load development, 6 shots at 750 yards off cattle gate/Shmedium, and 2 groups at 1250 off bench/rear bag/bipod, a 3-shot and a 5-shot, I didn't even chrono the rounds, just guessed the 106s were probably ~25fps faster than my usual 112MBs and the dope lined up almost all the way out. (I did however use Hornady's 4DOF instead of my usual Strelok Pro since 4DOF had the 106 DOD bullet in their library).

tempImage5okNgG.pngtempImagevIqf1N.pngtempImagepVmABV.pngtempImageO5wgim.png

Last edited:
Saw this thread last week and ordered 200 of the 106 A Tip.
40.6 grains of RE-16 loaded to 2.795"
RPR Custom Shop 6mm Creedmoor, 26" 5R barrel
Hornady 1x brass, Fed GMM Large Rifle Primers
With just guessing that the 106s would be ok with the same charge weight of 110 A Tips and 107 SMKs, this is pretty decent.
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-03 11_00_28.874922.jpg

@CK1.think the Atips hit harder too. Sent a few at 354 with a few different rigs / bullets, the 110s sounded different and impacts on steel looked different.

Came across this thread the other day. Didn’t need any 106, but thought I’d go have a look. Saw some 153/6.5 A-Tips. Figured what the hell? Bought 500. Arrived yesterday. Measured them from BTO, and they are pretty consistent. Off by about .001 per bullet, now weight on the other hand, that’s a diff story and hence what I suspect was main reason for classing as seconds. Anywhere from .3 to .7 diff. So like some at 152.8 - 153.5. Will have to stuff some in some brass and see what happens. Might go ok, not looking for benchrest accuracy, just .2 mil of plate…might happen…

Does anyone know what is considered the normal weight consistency range for top-shelf projectiles..?

What is the variance (in grains) one should expect with something like Berger 105 Hybrids or 110 A-Tips..?

Reactions: John Glidewell
I weighed 20 Berger 140 gr hybrids for comparison, and only one was .1 gr more. All the rest were 140.0

Does anyone know what is considered the normal weight consistency range for top-shelf projectiles..?

What is the variance (in grains) one should expect with something like Berger 105 Hybrids or 110 A-Tips..?
I don't know what's considered normal... but I did weigh 105 Berger hybrids and these 106 seconds were more consistent weight and length so there's that

1694639528172.jpeg

58 Gr of Ramshot Mag out of my 6.5 SAUM with the 153 Gr A-Tip seconds. 6 shots- top left was me. 100 yds. No SD obtained or velocity yet, but so far likin what I’m seein. Group to the left was 57 Gr. Might order a cpl hundred more. Not a big fan of the A- Tips at full price….but for .47$…..

Well Fed Ex delivered mine...............Somewhere? I hate them!!!
Fed Ex denied PV's claim stating they were delivered to me. PV disputed again. I was patient & didn't file a dispute with CC. Then mysteriously Fed Ex delivered my order back to Powder valley..........a month later & damaged.
Thankfully PV had set aside enough to replace my order. Received them Friday from UPS.

PV agreed to never ship anything to me via Fed Ex again (y)

Just re-barreled 6 ARC with replacement Rainier UM today. Going to load some of these for ARC & see how they do.

As a follow up….I feel confident on purchasing these “seconds”. I was able to get the 153’s moving at 2957 with and SD of 10.4 and a 100yd group of .3. Taking them out tomorrow at distance to see what they will do.

Point being….listed as seconds (for some legitimate reason by Hornady) , but seem to be performing as if someone didn’t let them know they were “sub-standard”

will we have a chance to see them (106 ATip DoD) showing up again in the future?

Shot these today out of a new rifle. I loaded the same load I did earlier in this thread, still haven't done any load development with them.. 30.2gr Varget, 0.01" off.. lapura brass 2x and CCI 450

100YD

Mine are all sorted. I loaded 50rd put of my all over the place bin.. I can see matching length doesn't matter the way these are shooting

I didn’t own a 6 when this came up originally, now I’m really hoping more come out at some point.

Reactions: padom
Shot these today out of a new rifle. I loaded the same load I did earlier in this thread, still haven't done any load development with them.. 30.2gr Varget, 0.01" off.. lapura brass 2x and CCI 450

100YD

Mine are all sorted. I loaded 50rd put of my all over the place bin.. I can see matching length doesn't matter the way these are shooting

What twist are you running? Would be interested if to see of these have the same issues blowing up as the 110s and 108s when pushed hard.

Are these true blems? The description is worrying. I didnt find any of these issues they list on the ones I got from PV.. Be interesting if someone buys them, do they come bulk packed like blems or do they come in the cardboard DOD boxes like PV's did.

Id probably buy another 5000 of the PV ones. They have been shooting consistent 0.1's for me in my BR's.. But I dont know about these...

Are these true blems? The description is worrying. I didnt find any of these issues they list on the ones I got from PV.. Be interesting if someone buys them, do they come bulk packed like blems or do they come in the cardboard DOD boxes like PV's did.

Id probably buy another 5000 of the PV ones. They have been shooting consistent 0.1's for me in my BR's.. But I dont know about these...
Just a guess, but it looks like a copy/ paste description they use for blem bullets. I ordered 1000. Will advise when they come in. I've got some
from PV earlier, so I can compare the two batches.

Reactions: padom
I also took the leap, couldn't turn down 29 cents a piece delivered.

The 110s I got from PV were blems, or at least not sequential off the line, based on what I measured. I can't remember what colour cardboard box but it said 'seconds' on it. The 153s I have but haven't opened are a red 'seconds' box. Based on what ledzep posted, they were all probably some form of blem or QC pull.

I also took the leap, couldn't turn down 29 cents a piece delivered.

The 110s I got from PV were blems, or at least not sequential off the line, based on what I measured. I can't remember what colour cardboard box but it said 'seconds' on it. The 153s I have but haven't opened are a red 'seconds' box. Based on what ledzep posted, they were all probably some form of blem or QC pull.
Much cheaper than the last ones I bought. Many more uses at this price!

Hopefully the same thing we got before.. looking forward to the reports. I length sorted all the ones I bought from PV they were stupid consistent length and weight

Reactions: CK1.0
I'm in for 2500.

I hope they're the ones I think they are (same as the ones from PV)... or else I just bought my break-in bullets for my next ~12 6mm barrels! :ROFLMAO:
Right there with you on that one.

1710114580442.gif

Reactions: CK1.0