• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 143 ELDX vs 140 ELDM in Seekins SP10, 6.5 CM

rmiked

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2023
I am new to ARs, have only 67 rounds thru my new SP10. Shooting only factory ammo, not reloading yet. With the 140 ELDMs I am getting 3 shot groups at 100 yds of 0.65 MOA on average. 1 group as low as 0.45 MOA, a couple at 0.8 MOA. I tested out the 143 ELDX and getting similar groups but 1/2 “ higher at 100 yds. Does this sound reasonable or is it more likely my shooting is not consistent enough to be sure? The weight difference is negligible and the listed velocities are within 15 fps on the box. The OACL is within 10 thousandths. I’m assuming the barrel vibrations can be different since distance to lands in throat are not the same (0.010 difference)?

Last edited:
Yes, it is normal not unexpected for a rifle to shoot different loads (or even different lots of the same load) to differing points of impact.

Reactions: rmiked
You have to have the record for most new threads for your time on the site. Why don’t you research some of this stuff that you’re constantly starting new threads about that’s common knowledge instead of asking people to spoon feed you?

You have to have the record for most new threads for your time on the site. Why don’t you research some of this stuff that you’re constantly starting new threads about that’s common knowledge instead of asking people to spoon feed you?
Harsh take, but accurate.

Reactions: bigjake83
I am new to ARs, have only 67 rounds thru my new SP10. Shooting only factory ammo, not reloading yet. With the 140 ELDMs I am getting 3 shot groups at 100 yds of 0.65 MOA on average. 1 group as low as 0.45 MOA, a couple at 0.8 MOA. I tested out the 143 ELDX and getting similar groups but 1/2 “ higher at 100 yds. Does this sound reasonable or is it more likely my shooting is not consistent enough to be sure? The weight difference is negligible and the listed velocities are within 15 fps on the box. The OACL is within 10 thousandths. I’m assuming the barrel vibrations can be different since distance to lands in throat are not the same (0.010 difference)?
Id be more curious why you're comparing match ammo to hunting ammo.

Also, 3 shots isnt a "group" for anyone serious about shooting.

Because the guys at Seekins told me they have had success with 140 ELDMs hunting. And the ELDM bullet is not much different than the older AMAX with which I have had much success killing deer in another caliber. I searched older threads and unless I missed it all were comparing hand loaded ammo, not factory with those 2 bullets in the title. I don’t have much experience with factory ammo because I have hand loaded all my ammo for the past 15 years in another, larger caliber. There are many opinions about hunting ammo vs match ammo. The guy on Ultimate Reloader Utube channel seems very knowledgeable to me. He tested these 2 and would endorse the ELDM for hunting. Everyone knows something but no one knows everything. I appreciate the expertise on this site. I shoot some 5 shot groups. But I am mainly interested in hunting. The first cold bore shot is the one I am most interested in. I don’t shoot PRS. 3 shot groups usually tell me what I need to know. If I am taking a 3rd shot hunting (and I got that 8 pt), things usually have not gone as planned. But sometimes you have to take the shot you have, not the shot you wanted.