• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady .223 53gr w/c

Kasumi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
New York, USA
Can someone inform me what the w/c is all about. All I can find about it is that it means; "With Candler" is that correct? Is that something to do with crimping? Is it ok to run in both bolt and AR-15?

Hornady .223 53gr HP Match w/c #HO8023

Re: Hornady .223 53gr w/c

With cannelure. I'm assuming you know what a cannelure is.

It means with cannalur. That is there so it can be crimped (if necessary) for use in fully auto applications.

In 50 years of reloading the only ammo I ever crimp are hard kicking revolver loads, ammo for tubular magazine rifles,
big bore, heavy bullet hunting ammo and cartridges with really short necks (like the 300 Savage).

That said, some folks report accuracy improvements with the new Lee crimping die. I tried it in the 308 and saw no difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With cannelure. I'm assuming you know what a cannelure is. </div></div>

Now I do! I couldn't even spell it an hour ago. Thank you

I have a Rem700VS 1-12, I'm looking into match grade ammo thats below 62gr, Hornady has the 53gr HP W/C, Black Hills has a 52gr match,

If I have it right, the brass is crimped to the bullet for better holding of the seating depth, this creates a consistent ignition.

You should have good luck loading the Hornady 52gr BTHP or 53 gr Flat Base. Both are match grade. I have a 700 VS that really likes the 52gr and 25.5grs of IMR4895 using CCI small rifle primers. You can use the W/C bullets just don't crimp them but I recommend the type without the Cannular
larryj