• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Hornady .224 80 grain A Max on game

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Does anyone have experience with the 80 grain A Max on game? I had LRI build a .223 AI on a Fuzion Ti action with a 22" Proof CF barrel recently.
    Loaded up some ammo after fireforming. Ends up at 3200 FPS which is stunning. Accuracy is stunning as well. I had a youth hunter last week and he shot a large buck at 125M. Bullet made a large entrance hole. Did not exit and buck went 125 M or so. I do not think the bullet even made to the off side lung. No blood trail of course.
    Was this a fluke or should I expect it? I have a few thousand of these bullets and am hoping they are not useless.

Thanks.

Reactions: deersniper
    I believe the amaxes are lightly constructed, ie thin jackets for thin skinned game, and the bullet probably blew up on the surface, & did not penetrate but perhaps fragged the vitals. I have shot coyotes with 75 amaxes in my .223 Ackley, and they make a mess of the internals, but my muzzle velocity is in the 2850 range as I recall. Pretty good on groundhogs too. Maybe need a little thicker jacketed bullet for reliable results? No experience, however, on larger game.

DIBBS,
    I am certain you are correct on the one kill I have had. I just wondered if that was the norm. I am going to try a 90 grain SMK. The 77's are great deer bullets at 2800.

I have shot the 80 amax on Coyotes through my 22-243 at 3500fps and they are devistating on them. I never did shoot them at deer, but id imagine it would do a very good job providing a good shot.
    Xdeano

I’ve shot antelope with 75 amax. Jelled Heart and lungs with complete pass through. Bang flop.16” 223 Ackley. 44385F40-BCB6-4A54-9343-60A843B56D9D.jpeg
    Oldest boys goat yesterday morning. 2826 FPS.

Last edited:
    Reactions: lawofsavage
    as soon as I find the time I will complete load dev for my 22cm with these:

Going to run them as fast as
    I can and will certainly not worry about impact velocity...

as soon as I find the time I will complete load dev for my 22cm with these:

Going to run them as fast as
    I can and will certainly not worry about impact velocity...

EXCELLENT Thank you. I did not find the heavy ones. I will get some and try them. No doubt they will fully penetrate.