• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 6mm creedmoor brass

I'm not an expert with 6x47, but I know several shooters (competitive PRS shooters) running 6x47s well over 3100fps.

Not "arguing" with you just offering another datapoint.

They must be sporting very long barrels, like I mentioned, Im running highs of 3150 with 41.6grs H4350 with 105 HPBTs in a 28" Bart. Same amount of RE17 will give me 70fps more.

No flattened primers here either and no other signs of pressure besides the brass not wanting to hold primers after a firing or two. I'm just going to accept that for the performance I want out of it that is verified to be probably the most accurate gun I've shot the brass becomes more of a consumable than it was before.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

So you're going after some Tula primers then? When I seated them yesterday in brass that was fired 5 times they were good and tight, but not too tight, just right.

Good to hear. Yeah. Going to try to hunt some down locally. It will be great of that's a good bandaid/fix for the hot loads.

Ok after shooting and reloading some more Ive only had 2 cases that were toast. The rest are hanging in there. Im guessing there was a few pieces of bad brass in the batch to begin with that had larger primer pockets to start with. Im not going to stress about it anymore. Some have 4 firings on them and while the primer pockets re not tight they are also not loose so it works for me because the thing is just to damn accurate, I finished 7th out of 18 or so at our local match and didnt do 3 of the 6 or 7 stages (I was trying to help run the match) so Ill take that. Just thought I would give a heads up on the brass. Also Ive started putting the ones with looser pockets in a certian mag for certian stages where I know I will probably loose some brass so it naturally filters its way out

Leaving that shit brass on the ground for Jim Saunders, eh???? :)

Glad to hear you're getting happy with 6CM brass since I have a frickin' ton of it here ready to load.
Agreed on accuracy. Mine is looking like a laser too.

That brass I'm leaving has primers falling out in my box! I push them in by hand and shoot them. Literally. They shot just as well as the others oddly enough.

Get your smith to throat it to just touch at 2.800 with 105 hybrids. should be about a .189 FB

Using Tula Primers helps alot as well.

Brass is not Junk, its not as hard a Winchester but is better than others, cannot be hotrodded like Winchester.

George,
What measurements do the GAP's have on the throat? Are they out to 2.800"?

OP,
I use Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass and use the Hornady dies from GAP to size them down, I'm on firing number 6 and just now finding some with looser primer pockets.
H4350- 41.6gr
Hornady 105 BTHP
at roughly 3145 (don't have my book with me right now).

I tried some h100v yesterday and had awesome results with it so it's a valid and great option if you can't find your normal powder like h4350. I'm swapping due to higher velocities with lower charges and slightly better accuracy at 300 and out. 100 is about the same as h4350.

So I got some 6 creed brass from gap and was priming it and the primer pockets were so tight I was haveing a hard time getting 210m primers to go in on some of the pieces, anyone else have super tight pockets on virgin hornaday brass?

I tried some h100v yesterday and had awesome results with it so it's a valid and great option if you can't find your normal powder like h4350. I'm swapping due to higher velocities with lower charges and slightly better accuracy at 300 and out. 100 is about the same as h4350.

Mate can you share load on h1000? Whats fps
Tnx

Last edited:
Mate can you share load on h1000? Whats fps
Tnx

It h100v, not h1000v. But in my mine 41.6gns gets me to an accurate 3158fps with a 4fps extreme spread. I tested it all the way up to 43.6gn if I'm not mistaken and got 3380fps out of that load which was actually accurate but I did have one small ejector swipe on the brass. That load is useless for me since matches are usually limited to 3150fps or 3200fps . It did only take 3.1mils with a 100 yard zero to get to 720 which was pretty awesome :) as far as the above load. With h4350 it took 42.6gn to get to 3150fps so you may want to work from that if yours took less. Coal is 2.7650, CCI 250 primers.

This is a group at 450 yards. I had 5 left of the 42.2gn loads that I decided to try past 100 and 300. I didn't have a chance to load up anymore of the 3158fps load which easily shot in the 2s at 300 yards with me being sloppy. I'll get some pics of that up whenever this rain passes and I have some time to get back out there.

etapuru6.jpg

Yea, it's crappy brass, not the reloader's fault.

Hornady guys don't know what they are talking about, and I guess neither do the 6mmBR.com guys:

243 Win Loads:

H435037.4CCI BR2107 SMK2986 fpsCW2's Acc. Load--just off lands.

243 AI Loads:

H435041.6Fed 210m107 SMK3036 fpsJimB load. Extremely Accurate with SMKs jumped .040" in Schneider barrel.

Now I know your shooting a 6mm Creedmoor and not a 243 Win. But I'm sure you know the 6mm Creedmoor has less case capacity than the 243 Win and much less than the 243 AI, but your load is hotter than the 243 AI load listed.

But your sure the brass is crappy......right????
I shoot 41.6grs H4350 in my 6 Creed with 105s and my velocity is an avg of 3144fps, but that load is not hot.

I haven't had horrible issues with the brass since the beginning when I guess I filtered out about 20 peices that had the primers fall out. The rest is good. I've found a few brand new peices that have larger than normal primer pockets so that would explain the problem, not my loads. Case mead measurements on the hottest load had a 0.0002 increase in diameter. That's where I normally call it high enough though. My normal loads are all measuring 0.0001 increase and the blade micrometer I use is pretty dang accurate.

Get your smith to throat it to just touch at 2.800 with 105 hybrids. should be about a .189 FB

Using Tula Primers helps alot as well.

Brass is not Junk, its not as hard a Winchester but is better than others, cannot be hotrodded like Winchester.

George,

Is this the standard for a GAP bolt rifle? I'm working on a build with Ken and Pat said just go with your standard throat. Thanks!

It's seems like the brass that is in spec from the get go is doing OK. Pockets are loosing up a little but still hold a primer. I'd say for what I have gotten out of them they are fine for the matches I shoot. Definitely not lapua but also not a buck each. My results with using a bushing die has been much more consistent compared to the Hornady dies. It's not that they are bad but I do feel differences when seating bullets where I feel non with the whidden bushing dies.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

So I got some 6 creed brass from gap and was priming it and the primer pockets were so tight I was haveing a hard time getting 210m primers to go in on some of the pieces, anyone else have super tight pockets on virgin hornaday brass?

Yes mine too , im not complaining hopefully it will help them last longer. I used my case mouth trimmer to soften the pocket edge.it helped.

Hopefully the brass I have on order will be tighter. I can deal with that even if it take a little more time in the beginning.

My 6 Creed brass is also better/tighter than the first batch I received. However, mine requires a little bit more effort to seat the primer, but I easily deal with that vs the loose primer pockets. It's about like seating primers in new Lapua brass.

Last edited:
Hello fellas,
I am jumping on the 6 creed band wagon, i still have a couple months wait for Benchmark to get to my rifle. I have started buying bullets and brass and not sure about dies. I plan to get the Whidden dies, i do not neck turn, has anyone used the non bushing fl dies. There is so much back and forth about the bushing dies i would just like to keep it simple and still produce quality ammo.

The bushing dies produce a very very consistent neck without neck turning. At least for me. Buy a 269 and 270 bushing and you will be happy. The Velocity for the first 4 shots were 3117fps and then the last went down to 3109fps because I picked up one from the other side of the container and which had a br2 primer. The first 4 had wolf primers..

epata8es.jpg

Hello fellas,
I am jumping on the 6 creed band wagon, i still have a couple months wait for Benchmark to get to my rifle. I have started buying bullets and brass and not sure about dies. I plan to get the Whidden dies, i do not neck turn, has anyone used the non bushing fl dies. There is so much back and forth about the bushing dies i would just like to keep it simple and still produce quality ammo.

I love both my Crescent Custom 6 Creeds, they're lasers! I also don't turn the necks and use the standard Hornady dies. However, currently looking at getting a better seating die, either Redding or Whidden, but still not sure which is best for seating the 105 VLD's.

Impressive Ironcrawl!!!
The bushing dies produce a very very consistent neck without neck turning. At least for me. Buy a 269 and 270 bushing and you will be happy. The Velocity for the first 4 shots were 3117fps and then the last went down to 3109fps because I picked up one from the other side of the container and which had a br2 primer. The first 4 had wolf primers..

epata8es.jpg

epata8es.jpg

Like Zac said! I also have 269 & 270 bushings for my creed, though I'm only getting SDs in and around 7. I use a 6XC Forster Ultra Micrometer seater, works very well. And Hornady Custom bushing dies, FL and NS, shown here.
iw1hkWx.jpg

OK I just sized some nosler 6.5mm Creedmoor brass down and it's perfect. A buddy of mine swapped to it in his 6.5mm Creedmoor and has over 15 firings on it and the primer pockets are still good and it still shoots lights out. The onlu problem is that stuff is more expensive than lapua brass. It's like 65 bucks per 50 peices. That will buy a lot of Hornady brass. I've got about 10 pieces that I'm going to do a size by side comparison on and if it's better I'll swap. Or at least use it in matches onlu and save the Hornady stuff for practice. These are also neck turned so that may help some.. I'll tien the necks on 200 peices but I'm not doing it on 1k peices which is how many I normally order of the Hornady brass.

OK I just sized some nosler 6.5mm Creedmoor brass down and it's perfect. A buddy of mine swapped to it in his 6.5mm Creedmoor and has over 15 firings on it and the primer pockets are still good and it still shoots lights out. The only problem is that stuff is more expensive than lapua brass. It's like 65 bucks per 50 pieces. That will buy a lot of Hornady brass. I've got about 10 pieces that I'm going to do a size by side comparison on and if it's better I'll swap. Or at least use it in matches onlu and save the Hornady stuff for practice. These are also neck turned so that may help some.. I'll tien the necks on 200 pieces but I'm not doing it on 1k pieces which is how many I normally order of the Hornady brass.

Zac, Are you going to turn the necks on the Nosler brass because it's that bad(necks not close in thickness from one side to the other) or because it won't fit your chamber otherwise?

A buddy turned all his just to make them all consistent. It was his brass so they were fired in my chamber yesterday and I'll check to see how they do next time out. They were much faster than the Hornady cases though...

A buddy turned all his just to make them all consistent. It was his brass so they were fired in my chamber yesterday and I'll check to see how they do next time out. They were much faster than the Hornady cases though...

I measured a lot of my Hornady brass, they're very consistent in the neck area, would never dream of neck turning them. Faster? In what way?

velocity with the same powder charge as the hornady brass. I dont know what the capacity difference is between the two however..

I'll weigh it next time I'm up in my reloading room. I'm assuming it is a little thicker so I'd assume it also weighs a little more as well.

I've shot probably around 5k rounds of 6 Creedmoor using Krieger and Bartlein barrels, H4350 and 105 Hybrids. I've never had any brass issues. I'm running them around 3050-3100. I've also been using Whidden bushing FL sizer dies since day 1. That was almost 2 years ago, Whidden needed once fired brass to make the die set. It's all about neck tension and speed to get the max life out of the brass.

It's not the necks that were the problem. It's the primer pockets. About 10 per 100 were out of spec to begin with but sounds like it may have been fixed. If so I've had no other issues with the brass.

Last edited:
So, I am having the same issues with hornady brass too. Getting only to load it twice and it is garbage. I am running it out of a Gap 10 at 2875fps with 40.4grs of H4350 and the berger 105gr. Are there any good reports of lapua 22-250 brass out there that might work better? Having to buy new brass every time I want to shoot is not realty an option for me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'll say if you don't have an adjustable gas block on the gap10 it will kill it quick. Even then the semi is rough on it. All of my brass I had during the short time I owned a gap10 in 6mm Creedmoor was spent to begin with so I don't know how hard it would be on new stuff but basically one shot with the gap10 and it would not hold a wolf or tula primer. You could literally put, not push it on with your finger and it would just fall out due to gravity. It had a total of 5 firings on it between a bolt gun and the gap10..

I got the adjustable gas block so I will try that too. Any idea if forming 22-250 brass might be a better option? I would be happy with 2900fps but at least a few more reloads out of it.

Thanks!

I never got around to trying the 22-250 brass. I did try the nosler brass which was much better but it's expensive as hell at 60 bucks per 50 pieces.

how do you convert 22-250 to 6mm creedmoor? Re-size than fire form with a mild to hot load? I have neck-down other calibers and I wonder how others are doing the 22-250 to 6mm creedmoor?

Thanks man!

Interesting read, having similar issues with Hornady 6.5CM brass, going for firing #4 and will probably junk it after that. Pretty loose after firing #2 but if the primer doesn't tap out after seating I'll keep running it.