• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady April 24, 2019 something

If keeping the center of gravity further back leads to better accuracy and easier loading, and the AL tip let's you do that while improving BC, thats pretty slick.

I think you have this backward. The center of mass is moved forward since the aluminum is more dense than the plastic or hollow tip and it's also longer than their plastic tips. This results in a better BC based on better bullet stability in flight.

I think you have this backward. The center of mass is moved forward since the aluminum is more dense than the plastic or hollow tip and it's also longer than their plastic tips. This results in a better BC based on better bullet stability in flight.
It said in the video that the CG was moved backward. Yes aluminum is more dense than polymer, but way less than lead, and it sounds like they used the Al to make the tip bigger in these.

Wonder why the B.C. difference of 6mm and 30 cal bullets is so much greater than 6.5mm.

.06 vs .007

Reactions: TCG76
I knew they were working on an ATip but damn. I've known many of the people at Hornady for many years. All smart guys but kudos go to Steve and Jason Hornady for providing the resources needed and turning these guys loose. For as long as I've known them the atmosphere at Hornady is one of innovation. My hats off to them.

Wonder how different the aluminum tip is in these than the browning bxc aluminum tips. Probably more to do with what is under the tip but those expand well.

The bxc i have for my 300wsm are nice but its a blunt nose aluminum tip with a shitty bc designed to punch through heavy bone and muscle, I don't think these A-tip compare well. Kinda apples and oranges.

Edit: I watched the 17 minute video and these sound like they designed them for prs and matches, where as the Browning bxc is a hunting bullet and the aluminum tip on those is what helps push the nose of the bullet in and expand. I'd be curious those if they've tested these a-tip on game and how they performed.

I knew they were working on an ATip but damn. I've known many of the people at Hornady for many years. All smart guys but kudos go to Steve and Jason Hornady for providing the resources needed and turning these guys loose. For as long as I've known them the atmosphere at Hornady is one of innovation. My hats off to them.

I remember talking with a very knowledgeable gentleman about a year ago that mentioned some incredible things on the horizon in the area of bullet development(y)

Someone mentioned .338's coming out, i kinda hope they come out with a nice .375 too and go after the eld market that isn't a solid lathe turned bullet.

Nothing for us 308 folks for now i guess. At the price i will stick with the ELD-Ms for now anyway even if i could buy them in 168-175. I was buying 168 ELD-Ms from bigdaddyunlimited for 26 bucks a box of 100.

Reactions: TCG76
The bxc i have for my 300wsm are nice but its a blunt nose aluminum tip with a shitty bc designed to punch through heavy bone and muscle, I don't think these A-tip compare well. Kinda apples and oranges.

Edit: I watched the 17 minute video and these sound like they designed them for prs and matches, where as the Browning bxc is a hunting bullet and the aluminum tip on those is what helps push the nose of the bullet in and expand. I'd be curious those if they've tested these a-tip on game and how they performed.

Right.. my meaning was simply that the aluminum tip itself doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t perform on game, it’s likely what’s under that tip that will determine that.

Nothing for us 308 folks for now i guess. At the price i will stick with the ELD-Ms for now anyway even if i could buy them in 168-175. I was buying 168 ELD-Ms from bigdaddyunlimited for 26 bucks a box of 100.
That makes perfect sense to me. The ATips are purpose built for distance and speed.
Right.. my meaning was simply that the aluminum tip itself doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t perform on game, it’s likely what’s under that tip that will determine that.
I haven't asked the question yet but unless the ATips have a thick jacket, which I'm sure they don't, the aluminum tip would facilitate rapid expansion. Probably to the point that Hornady couldn't recommend them as a hunting bullet.

I haven't asked the question yet but unless the ATips have a thick jacket, which I'm sure they don't, the aluminum tip would facilitate rapid expansion. Probably to the point that Hornady couldn't recommend them as a hunting bullet.

For sure, but Berger didn’t advertise hybrids as hunting bullets for the longest time and still mostly don’t. One of those situation where if it doesn’t work it’s no failure, however....
67A4675F-214B-4133-B465-EC091866E3E9.gif

Personally, I don't see being able to justify the costs of these for PRS use over the 108 ELDs I have been shooting, but I can definitely see these getting used in a dedicated ELR role. The 135s or 153s would be right at home in my SAUM, I think.

So any chance they are going to offer these for people that don’t reload.
Based on what a hornady employee was saying on FB in the PRC group no there is not. They plan to expand to other calibers but not to loaded ammo at this time.

My guess is they cannot get the level of quality out if their brass/ load process as these bullets demand

Based on what a hornady employee was saying on FB in the PRC group no there is not. They plan to expand to other calibers but not to loaded ammo at this time.

My guess is they cannot get the level of quality out if their brass/ load process as these bullets demand
interesting...

Have you shot their 338 257 grains?
For my 338 Edge Ive had great luck with the Hornady 285 ELDs

I have actually! They shot very well, but I ran out of them and never re-ordered them. The 285g ELD's run neck and neck with them I've discovered so I just stuck with them.

Reactions: Earnhardt

I doubt that is what the problem is at all. These bullets are for the person that wants complete control over their rounds.

Looking at the 250 grain .30cal A tip besides a 300Prc, or 300 Norma what other brass casing is ideal to launch this fast? 300 rum? interested in ideas...

Last edited:
I was interested potentially in the 110g 6mm's out of my Dasher but I see where the necessary special seating stem is not compatible with other manufacturers' dies. So what's the easiest way to potentially load these for a Dasher?

Has anyone gotten any word in the release date for the new seating stem they are producing for this bullet?
are people actually going to use hornady dies for these bullets? If they will not seat with stems in Redding, Forster or Whidden dies, thats a non-starter for me.

are people actually going to use hornady dies for these bullets? If they will not seat with stems in Redding, Forster or Whidden dies, thats a non-starter for me.
Fortunately for you, all three of these die makers will grind a seating stem for you if you ask nicely.

Reactions: Tunnuh and osu92
Does anyone else think the 250s may not have a role to serve? It seems even the 30-338L, 300NM, 300RUM guys are sticky to the 215-225 class. Berger seems to have shelved the 245, and Sierra appears to have discontinued the 240 smk. Is there anything that can push them fast enough?

Reactions: schmi015
Does anyone else think the 250s may not have a role to serve? It seems even the 30-338L, 300NM, 300RUM guys are sticky to the 215-225 class. Berger seems to have shelved the 245, and Sierra appears to have discontinued the 240 smk. Is there anything that can push them fast enough?
what do energy and ballistics look like? even slower smaller cartridges

308 subs? haha

Yea I really don’t see the need for a super consistent bullet in box ammo when manufactured ammo just can’t be controlled the same without astronomical cost.

It's not just about the consistency of this bullet, that's part of the bonus from the manufacturing process. By shifting the center of gravity rearward these projectiles are a step beyond standard polymer/otm bullets that are going to enhance dynamic/gyroscopic stability and transition well through transonic/subsonic speeds.

They are sticky to them because there is currently nothing heavier unless you want to split hairs and include the Berger 230. Any one of those cartridges should push the 250 to 2700-2750 which is the same range as a 338 Lapua with 300 gr bullets. The 250 gr bc exceeds the 338 offerings by a considerable margin so I don't see the hesitation.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAVETOOLEY
They are sticky to them because there is currently nothing heavier unless you want to split hairs and include the Berger 230. Any one of those cartridges should push the 250 to 2700-2750 which the same range as a 338 Lapua with 300 gr bullets. The 250 gr bc exceeds the 338 offerings by a considerable margin so I don't see the hesitation.
Well, Sierra had the 240s and discontinued them, one would assume because of lack of sales. You could conclude if they outperformed the 215 berger, they wouldn't have lacked for sale.

Total conjecture on my end, and it won't stop me from trying them, but seems like a valid question.

Well, Sierra had the 240s and discontinued them, one would assume because of lack of sales. You could conclude if they outperformed the 215 berger, they wouldn't have lacked for sale.

Total conjecture on my end, and it won't stop me from trying them, but seems like a valid question.

The 240 was completely out dated and being out performed by newer lighter bullets.

Reactions: nick338
Anyone care to guess at the bc that could be coming in hopefully a 338 and 375?
I really hope they do a 375 A tip bullet it should be super impressive and could make in roads into the solid bullets elr market.

Reactions: schmi015
just a little more digging into the 250gr 30 cal, it looks like it will be the longest bullet on the market (save for maybe some boutique makers im not familiar with)
Hornady A-Tip - 1.858"
Berger 230 - 1.602"
Warner - 1.80"

edit: looks like Cutting Edge has a 240gr Lazer, not listed on their site, but I have to imagine that would be considerably longer.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
Everyone has stuck with 215-225 range because there wasn't a viable option to go heavier. Although the 240 SMK was an accurate bullet, just not sexy enough. There is always a learning curve when exploring new territory. I'm betting as soon as required performance parameters that Hornady knows gets out everyone will be pleasantly surprised with the 250's.
I'll remind everyone regardless of caliber as we go to the heavier extremes in bullet weight we, sane people that is, quickly reach max velocity/performance regardless of case capacity. There is a wall we run into.

Reactions: Dpp and AIAW
I mean if you don’t have a kestrel and use a bullet in the hornady 4dof library this is a pretty cool option.
I have been holding off on buying one because 4dof has been so good to me. Might have to reconsider especially if it has 4dof and uses the normal kestrel mode (AB) for bullets not in the library.

Edit: Only say that about AB because I have never used the Hornady BC calculator very well, but have had success using a buddy’s 5700 for bullets not in the Hornady library.