• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Headspace gage measurements.

bdh308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2009
Paris,Tennessee
Gentlemen,

Im looking to see what kind of measurements everyones getting with their Hornady headspace gage on a paticular rifle. I know everyones will be a little different but Im more concerned to see how much of a spread there is. Here are my numbers to compare on a Remy 700 SPS Tac 308.

New lapua brass- 1.613"
First fired lapua- 1.617 and actually some measured smaller which is why Im concerned with some being around 1.615 and 1.616
Shoulder bump Redding FL bush die- 1.615"
Factory Black Hills ammo unfired- 1.613

I also measured the head 1/4" from the extraction grove.
New lapua-.467"
First fired- .4705
Sized Redding bush die with shoulder bumped .002- .469
Black Hills factory ammo- .463

With the case expanding .004 from new with a hot load (47gr Varget)it just seems a little low and the cases not all being the same at the shoulder is boggling the mind too. Thoughts?

Re: Hornady Headspace gage measurements.

bdh308 ......

It's more accurate to compare one of your fired cases to one of your handloads (at the shoulder). This way you'll have the information to set your die height perfectly for YOUR particular chamber.

- Innovative

I have seen as much as .005 to .006" between multiple rifles of the same caliber.

Thanks Vic. I was just curious is to how some of my first fired handloads could be different at the shoulders. It makes it little difficult to set up the die when there not all the same. I really justed wanted to make sure that I wasnt seeing a problem with headspace or any other issues.

Something to keep in mind, is that different brands of brass will swell and retract differently. Not really that much. But it can make a difference. And military brass is different yet. Try grouping your brass when you measure by brand and see what it looks like.

Rifle is a Rem 700P .308 win

New HORNADY brass- 1.623"
First fired HORNADY - 1.626"

New WINCHESTER brass- 1.621"
First fired WINCHESTER - 1.627

Measured the head 1/4" from the extraction grove.

New HORNADY-.465"
First fired- .469"

New WINCHESTER-.463"
First fired- .468"

Thanks Bevenue. Welcome to the Hide.

Thanks Vic...I only use lapua brass. All the numbers above are from the same lot new first fired formed brass. Thats what I cant understand how some are different at the shoulders. Very hard to setup my die knowing I maybe overworking the brass.