Hornady Kestrel 5700 Ballistic Weather Meter 4 DOF Official Support Thread

BLKWLFK9

Just F'n Send It Podcast
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Feb 13, 2017
    I'm scared to update my hornady kestrel. Everything works. I heard a while back that an update fucked 4dof all up. Have they fixed whatever they was?

Dlwheel

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 11, 2017
    Dixon, IL
    I'm scared to update my hornady kestrel. Everything works. I heard a while back that an update fucked 4dof all up. Have they fixed whatever they was?
    i’ve only been running RT barrels. and it runs fine. very easy to fine tune dope with 110atips running 2800.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9

BLKWLFK9

Just F'n Send It Podcast
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Feb 13, 2017
    Yea, I only run RT as well but I cant remember what the "fuck up" was with one of the updates. It would've been one last year, not super recent I guess.

drwood96

Samsonite! I was way off!
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Sep 16, 2017
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    rolltide.com
    Yea, I only run RT as well but I cant remember what the "fuck up" was with one of the updates. It would've been one last year, not super recent I guess.
    I thought it was their app that had the fuck up.

I ended up abandoning the 4DOF as I did not see them expanding their library anytime soon. Their zero angle and axial form factor are awesome. I get they need to push their product first but I’m sure people would be willing to pay for the inclusion of other modern bullets.

walley2960

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 24, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    I turn all that crap off anyway

If it doesn’t that is good, but I went back to AB over the Hornady as I can get more control with it.

You have to be able to turn that crap off
    @lowlight
    When firing in a substantial wind, say 10mph at 1000yrds from 90deg vs 270deg.
    Have you observed aerodynamic jump at all? Perhaps less than the solvers would indicate.
    Or is it lost in the noise and something you would not account for?

Dlwheel

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 11, 2017
    Dixon, IL
    @lowlight
    When firing in a substantial wind, say 10mph at 1000yrds from 90deg vs 270deg.
    Have you observed aerodynamic jump at all? Perhaps less than the solvers would indicate.
    Or is it lost in the noise and something you would not account for?

AJ gets confusing. as i understand it, it is the wind at the muzzle that matters for AJ. given the 3:00 and 9:00 winds you referenced, if they are blocked at the muzzle, you will not need the full correction the solver will give you.
    you can’t turn it off in the 4dof kestrel. so i set wind at 12:00 for elevation.
    but i have found 4dof AJ correction to be accurate if the muzzle is experiencing the wind.
    that said, my backup is the Garmin with AB. i can true to to be identical to my 4dof. it just takes a little more tinkering. but it works fine and actually gives me much more info.
    since i shoot a-tips the 4dof curve works very well.

Paul1262

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jan 13, 2019
    Is there a preference for the clock or degree format when determining DOF and wind ?

Thanks

Paul1262

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jan 13, 2019
    That info comes from your phone's gps, is that turned on?
    Thanks. The GPS was off on a new phone. I truly appreciate the Kestrel support team. I have owned the 5700 4 DOF since its release and throughout that time any questions that I had were promptly replied to and the Zoom classes have been terrific. Thanks again.

camocorvette

Send it
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Apr 1, 2010
    Minnesota
    Just bought a 5700 with the hornady stuff. Now after reading through this I think I should have just got the 5700 elite with AB

😑

Halcyonhal

Dud
    Minuteman
    Aug 17, 2019
    Just bought a 5700 with the hornady stuff. Now after reading through this I think I should have just got the 5700 elite with AB

😑
    Yeah it’s pretty dumb that there are no upgrades available and it comes missing key features (like the range card!).

I’d love to be able to buy a kestrel that had both AB and 4dof models on it.

Near miss

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    Yeah it’s pretty dumb that there are no upgrades available and it comes missing key features (like the range card!).

I’d love to be able to buy a kestrel that had both AB and 4dof models on it.
    The tuning of the ballistic profile sounds good as having one single number/ratio to change the bullet path sounds easy. but I think the DSF does quite the same, even better.