• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Kestrel 5700 Ballistic Weather Meter 4 DOF Official Support Thread

Don't know if this is the correct place to post but here goes. I have the 5700 Hornady version. I have read the manual, watched YouTube videos and can't seem to find my answer. When I want to calculate wind speed, I don't know if the correct procedure is to hit the little "Capture" button on the device or hit the "Capture" icon on the screen when prompted. The later seems to work but then I can't figure out why you have added a physical button??

The button on the kestrel is for when you are using the device stand alone. The phone app and larger UI is a nice convenience but smart phones are not very robust or extreme temperature tolerant.

The button on the kestrel is for when you are using the device stand alone. The phone app and larger UI is a nice convenience but smart phones are not very robust or extreme temperature tolerant.
Thanks but I guess I was not clear. I was referring to the word "capture" on the Kestrel device itself. Not the smartphone app.

Thanks but I guess I was not clear. I was referring to the word "capture" on the Kestrel device itself. Not the smartphone app.

Ignore the phone for this question and answer.
It is for doing everything on the kestrel itself.

Page 4 discusses that function.

There are multiple ways to accomplish many of the tasks in a Kestrel, all do the same thing.
I find the fastest way is to:

Down arrow to Environment and be sure it is set to live.

Up arrow back to TGT and press the button with the red line to turn on DOF acquisition and once the compass heading stabilized, press the button again to turn off acquisition.

Use side arrows (if using single target only) to enter Range (if not using LRF).

Down arrow to Wind and face into the wind and press the red line button to turn on wind direction and speed acquisition, once the compass heading stabilizes and you have captured any gusts, press the button again to turn off acquisition.

Read the holds and take your shot.

@Kestrel Ballistics Thank you for doing the zoom training session last month! I was unable to attend live but final got a chance to watch the recording and I have to say it was one of the most informative hour I’ve sat through.
I highly suggest anyone with the hornady kestrel to sign up for one if they do it again.

Reactions: goneballistic
@Kestrel Ballistics Thank you for doing the zoom training session last month! I was unable to attend live but final got a chance to watch the recording and I have to say it was one of the most informative hour I’ve sat through.
I highly suggest anyone with the hornady kestrel to sign up for one if they do it again.

Is there a link for the zoom recording?

Completely agree with drwood96's posting. The training session was very informative due to the excellent presentation. I would also like to thank the Kestrel team that offered and presented this training session.

Reactions: LH_Gina
Thinking of trying the Kestrel 4dof - I have the AP Kestrel - and the 4DOF phone app - sooo, a lot of older posts have asked similar questions but I don't see firm answers - so sorry to repeat:

1. Is the 4DOF still limited to 3 guns, and loads?
2. Are there 4 DOF profiles available for non-Hornady bullets? Berger?
3. Does it link to the SigSauer LRF binos - Kilo3000?

Thanks

Thinking of trying the Kestrel 4dof - I have the AP Kestrel - and the 4DOF phone app - sooo, a lot of older posts have asked similar questions but I don't see firm answers - so sorry to repeat:

1. Is the 4DOF still limited to 3 guns, and loads?
2. Are there 4 DOF profiles available for non-Hornady bullets? Berger?
3. Does it link to the SigSauer LRF binos - Kilo3000?

Thanks

1. Yes, the Kestrel itself is limited to 3 profiles but you can have a lot more on the kestrel app and just push the three you need to the kestrel. A quick process.
2. yes, they have focused on the popular LR match bullets. Don’t see the newer 109 & 144 Bergers but the 105 and 140 are in there. They have roughly 100 bullets under 4DOF. I would pay for an expanded library.
3. They do not as the Kilo3000 uses AB proprietary BT protocol.

As I understand the "4DOF" ballistics it uses Coefficient of Drag (CD) instead of Ballistic Coefficient (BC) because BC changes with velocity and CD does not.

Is there a chance you can fixe this?
That would be great!! Thanks
IMG_20201221_111740.jpg

Reactions: jp67
The last update fixed the pressure issue and turned my 4mph gun into a 7 mph gun without changing anything. What is going on????
Anybody else has the same issue?
Thanks

Last edited:
@Kestrel Ballistics any new LRF that with work with 4dof? I have seen the list you keep linking to, but its been out for a few years, has anything changed? Any more rnage finders that officially or unofficially can link to the 4dof kestrel to provide distance when ranging a target??

@Kestrel Ballistics any new LRF that with work with 4dof? I have seen the list you keep linking to, but its been out for a few years, has anything changed? Any more rnage finders that officially or unofficially can link to the 4dof kestrel to provide distance when ranging a target??
The link is current and all LRF that work with a Kestrel are listed. There is no unofficial way to link to a Kestrel.

One thing I find interesting, if the bullet is not in the hornady 4dof app, you can not tune the axial form factor, HOWEVER, on the kestrel 4dof itstelf you can tune the axial form factor on any bullet, listed or not.

Please confirm: Using Zero angle feature in 4dof Kestrel and 4dof App - I can emulate zero offset feature (elevation only)

running multical platform and would like to have different offsets for different calibers.

When using Kestrel 4DOF unit, but using G1/G7 BC calc (not the 4dof) - does Zero Angle and Axial FF works as designed?

There have been a few questions about differences in the 4DOF app and the Hornady Kestrel 4DOF meter. This should answer most of them.

First off, The Hornady app and the Kestrel where not designed concurrently. The app predated the Kestrel by many years and as such was built in a different way from a user inputs standpoint, although the calculations are the same between the two platforms.

Axial Form Factor tuning when not using a 4DOF bullet file:
The AFF adjustment that is an option on the BC side of the Hornady Kestrel will adjust the standard drag curve selected (G1 or G7) up and down in the same manner as when used with a 4DOF bullet file. In other words, the use of the axial form factor while using BC inputs on a Hornady Kestrel will have the same effect as adjusting the BC itself.

Windage Offset
Again, because the 4DOF app and Hornady Kestrel 4DOF were developed at different times the Windage Offset was a recent addition to the app and not available in the original meter software. This could be added if there is demand for it.

Zero Angle and Axial FF functions
The Hornady Kestrel 4DOF meter, when using G1/G7 BC calc (not 4DOF), does use Zero Angle and Axial FF functions in the same way as when using a 4DOF bullet file. This function is the same in either the Hornady app or the Hornady Kestrel meter.

Reactions: mindekei
Windage Offset
Again, because the 4DOF app and Hornady Kestrel 4DOF were developed at different times the Windage Offset was a recent addition to the app and not available in the original meter software. This could be added if there is demand for it.

Thank you.
I am using Kestrel 4DOF with Multicaliber platform and evelation offset works great with Zero Angle feature.

I was curious how people like using the 4dof kestrel with the only compatible range finder the Bushnell 1 mile Conx? Thinking about buying one, people that have them do they work well together?

@Kestrel Ballistics - Good morning. Quick question on pairing the Hornady Kestrel 5700 with the Hornady 4dof app. I realize I may have to direct this question to Hornady but I figured I'd give you a shot. After pairing my Hornady Kestrel 5700 to the Hornady 4dof app, the wind speed and wind directions immediately "gray out" and are unable to be edited. The workaround I've found is to pair the Kestrel to the app to grab environmental data, then unpair the device where the wind direction and speed become editable again. I've attached two pictures that show the issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image1.png
    image1.png
    245.7 KB · Views: 96
@Kestrel Ballistics - Good morning. Quick question on pairing the Hornady Kestrel 5700 with the Hornady 4dof app. I realize I may have to direct this question to Hornady but I figured I'd give you a shot. After pairing my Hornady Kestrel 5700 to the Hornady 4dof app, the wind speed and wind directions immediately "gray out" and are unable to be edited. The workaround I've found is to pair the Kestrel to the app to grab environmental data, then unpair the device where the wind direction and speed become editable again. I've attached two pictures that show the issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
They are greyed out because the wind speed and direction are collected from the 5700.

Reactions: 30yardsniper
Pasted from athread i started because i forgot about this Kestrel 4dof thread:

Kestrel 4dof not playing well with 6XC

I have no other way to explain it. I own a Desert Tech and AI AX with about ten different barrels between them. The solutions in the Kestrel have been spot on for everything else. The second I switch to my 6XC with either 115 DTACs or the Barnes 112 Match Burner, my solution is about 0.4 mils off (let's say actual dope is 3.0 mils to 615 yards, 4DOF Kestrel says I need 2.6 mils) and I can not adjust the Form factor enough to get everything to line up. All my inputs are correct and work for other calibers, except for the damn 6XC, not that I think it's caliber specific, just that the combination of bullet, velocity, scope height, etc just happens to give me poor results. My Dasher is spot on for both 105 and 109 Hybrids so it's not an issue with 6mm bullets. Any suggestions? @Kestrel Ballistics

Pasted from athread i started because i forgot about this Kestrel 4dof thread:

Kestrel 4dof not playing well with 6XC

I have no other way to explain it. I own a Desert Tech and AI AX with about ten different barrels between them. The solutions in the Kestrel have been spot on for everything else. The second I switch to my 6XC with either 115 DTACs or the Barnes 112 Match Burner, my solution is about 0.4 mils off (let's say actual dope is 3.0 mils to 615 yards, 4DOF Kestrel says I need 2.6 mils) and I can not adjust the Form factor enough to get everything to line up. All my inputs are correct and work for other calibers, except for the damn 6XC, not that I think it's caliber specific, just that the combination of bullet, velocity, scope height, etc just happens to give me poor results. My Dasher is spot on for both 105 and 109 Hybrids so it's not an issue with 6mm bullets. Any suggestions? @Kestrel Ballistics
Do you use Zero Angel option with 4DOF? If so then check the values. It will be different between the two calibers. Once the zero angel is set for a barrel/caliber then you should be able to change bullet weight without rezeroing.

Do you use Zero Angel option with 4DOF? If so then check the values. It will be different between the two calibers. Once the zero angel is set for a barrel/caliber then you should be able to change bullet weight without rezeroing.
I haven't touched the zero angle, but I'll double check. I keep the offset for the different barrels written in my data book.

@Kestrel Ballistics and SH folks:

This is another inquiry which should perhaps go to Hornady but you guys have been very responsive...big companies, meh.

Kestrel is a 5700 with 4DOF built in.

The Kestrel connects via BT to the Kestrel Link Ballistics app without issue

Issue is trying to connect the Kestrel to the Hornady 4DOF app (kind of like its GUI and have stuff built in there already).

When I hit "Pair Meter" in the 4DOF app, it takes me to a screen which has an on/off button for "Use Weather Meter".

When I turn this to the "on" position, the app says I have to "turn on BT to search for devices".

However, BT is turned on my phone (iPhone 11 running 14.7.1), my phone sees the Kestrel via its connection to the Kestrel Link Ballistics app, but the Hornady app just won't seem to recognize that BT is on and that this meter is already connected to my phone. It just will NOT seem to recognize BT is on nor show available devices.

Anybody else have this issue?

P.S. - NEVER MIND. I'm a fucking idiot and Apple can suck my appendage. After digging thru all of the settings on this phone, I looked into the specific setting for the Hornady app and viola', there is an on/off button for allowing the 4 DOF app to access BT....and, I'm pretty sure I didn't make any changes (maybe??) and that it installed with BT off as a default...maybe??

In any case, I am proving every day that I am turning into an old goof. Hard to believe that I was actually a Prog Mng in for telecom equip manf companies.....sigh.

Cheers

Last edited:
My main shooting rifle has a 20MOA rail on it. How do I input that on the Kestrel 5700 so it takes that into account when calculating MRAD adjustments?

My main shooting rifle has a 20MOA rail on it. How do I input that on the Kestrel 5700 so it takes that into account when calculating MRAD adjustments?
You don't.

It is purely for returning some of the adjustment range of your scope for elevation.

You don't.

It is purely for returning some of the adjustment range of your scope for elevation.

I apologize for being a little ignorant here...I'm a newbie. So, what do I do to use the Kestrel 5700 with my rifle with a 20MOA rail on it? Is the process that I zero out the scope on the rifle with the 20 MOA rail first...and then use the Kestrel for the adjustments off the zero point I already made?

The 20 moa rail is just part of the gun, nothing that needs additional thought, the zero will include it and all Kestrel solutions will be based on the zero using the 20 MOA rail. Be sure to read the instructions about Form Factor for the Kestrel Hornady 4DOF, as correcting the meter to your rifle will aid in accuracy.

The 20 moa rail is just part of the gun, nothing that needs additional thought, the zero will include it and all Kestrel solutions will be based on the zero using the 20 MOA rail. Be sure to read the instructions about Form Factor for the Kestrel Hornady 4DOF, as correcting the meter to your rifle will aid in accuracy.
Thanks. Perfect.

I have a question: I have the 5700 4DOF Kestrel, I need more firearms in the device and don't want to have to swap them in my phone all the time, so I'm upgrading to the 5700x.

When I tried transferring my load over from the Hornady Kestrel, to the Kestrel 5700x, the dope was different.

I manually entered my load, same BC, same velocity, everything. Calibrated compasses, the works. (this is for a .22lr bullet for NRLX). If I put in 200 yards on both devices, and I was getting about a half .mil of difference on the dope.

I tripled check everything to make sure I didn't miss anything. Distance units, temps, BC, velocity, bore heights everything.

is this difference because they are using different solvers internally? I am surprised they solve so differently.

I finally "trued" the 5700x by messing with velocity so the dope was pretty close at most distances, but not sure I fully trust it yet. I'm going to have to figure out the DSF function. the Hornady DoF Axial Form Factor thing never really worked correctly for me with .22. so I just left it at 1.0 and adjusted BC and Velocity to get my dope trued up over time.

I have a question: I have the 5700 4DOF Kestrel, I need more firearms in the device and don't want to have to swap them in my phone all the time, so I'm upgrading to the 5700x.

When I tried transferring my load over from the Hornady Kestrel, to the Kestrel 5700x, the dope was different.

I manually entered my load, same BC, same velocity, everything. Calibrated compasses, the works. (this is for a .22lr bullet for NRLX). If I put in 200 yards on both devices, and I was getting about a half .mil of difference on the dope.

I tripled check everything to make sure I didn't miss anything. Distance units, temps, BC, velocity, bore heights everything.

is this difference because they are using different solvers internally? I am surprised they solve so differently.

I finally "trued" the 5700x by messing with velocity so the dope was pretty close at most distances, but not sure I fully trust it yet. I'm going to have to figure out the DSF function. the Hornady DoF Axial Form Factor thing never really worked correctly for me with .22. so I just left it at 1.0 and adjusted BC and Velocity to get my dope trued up over time.
Different solvers - different solutions until both are trued correctly. With the X use the AB custom for your bullet and then go to the range and do 5 DSF, shortest to furthest to true the caliber see DSF video here https://kestrelballistics.com/schoolhouse

Is there any plan to add range cards to this kestrel? Their app has it as a paid feature… you would think this is a no brained to update.

I turn all that crap off anyway

If it doesn’t that is good, but I went back to AB over the Hornady as I can get more control with it.

You have to be able to turn that crap off

It appears that with 4 DOF Kestrel does not calculate A.J. when left twist barrel is selected. only spin drift. Is this correct, or has someone seen something different?

@Kestrel Ballistics
@lowlight
one of the updates a bit ago killed the left twist calculations. it actually was using RT for AJ which really screwed things up. but then it was corrected in a later update. it should be working now. the 4dof kestrel doesn’t let you turn off AJ and SD. they are always on.

one of the updates a bit ago killed the left twist calculations. it actually was using RT for AJ which really screwed things up. but then it was corrected in a later update. it should be working now. the 4dof kestrel doesn’t let you turn off AJ and SD. they are always on.
Interesting. I’m on version 1.48

I'm scared to update my hornady kestrel. Everything works. I heard a while back that an update fucked 4dof all up. Have they fixed whatever they was?