Hornady Kestrel 5700 Ballistic Weather Meter 4 DOF Official Support Thread

ormandj

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
TX
Yes, the Kestrel will not work with a short range. I think it is set for 30 yds.

Do you think this can be changed? There's a lot of people returning connected rangefinders that "aren't working properly" when they try to test them at their homes - when in fact, they are fine. I'm not sure if there's a reason for the 25Y lower limit; it will definitely throw people off when the rangefinders behave strangely.

IDbound

Private
PX Member
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Central Kansas
Don't know if this is the correct place to post but here goes. I have the 5700 Hornady version. I have read the manual, watched YouTube videos and can't seem to find my answer. When I want to calculate wind speed, I don't know if the correct procedure is to hit the little "Capture" button on the device or hit the "Capture" icon on the screen when prompted. The later seems to work but then I can't figure out why you have added a physical button??

6.5SH

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2020
Don't know if this is the correct place to post but here goes. I have the 5700 Hornady version. I have read the manual, watched YouTube videos and can't seem to find my answer. When I want to calculate wind speed, I don't know if the correct procedure is to hit the little "Capture" button on the device or hit the "Capture" icon on the screen when prompted. The later seems to work but then I can't figure out why you have added a physical button??

The button on the kestrel is for when you are using the device stand alone. The phone app and larger UI is a nice convenience but smart phones are not very robust or extreme temperature tolerant.

IDbound

Private
PX Member
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Central Kansas
The button on the kestrel is for when you are using the device stand alone. The phone app and larger UI is a nice convenience but smart phones are not very robust or extreme temperature tolerant.
Thanks but I guess I was not clear. I was referring to the word "capture" on the Kestrel device itself. Not the smartphone app.

6.5SH

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2020
Thanks but I guess I was not clear. I was referring to the word "capture" on the Kestrel device itself. Not the smartphone app.

Ignore the phone for this question and answer.
It is for doing everything on the kestrel itself.

Page 4 discusses that function.

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
There are multiple ways to accomplish many of the tasks in a Kestrel, all do the same thing.
I find the fastest way is to:

Down arrow to Environment and be sure it is set to live.

Up arrow back to TGT and press the button with the red line to turn on DOF acquisition and once the compass heading stabilized, press the button again to turn off acquisition.

Use side arrows (if using single target only) to enter Range (if not using LRF).

Down arrow to Wind and face into the wind and press the red line button to turn on wind direction and speed acquisition, once the compass heading stabilizes and you have captured any gusts, press the button again to turn off acquisition.

Read the holds and take your shot.

drwood96

Samsonite! I was way off!
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2017
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    rolltide.com
    @Kestrel Ballistics Thank you for doing the zoom training session last month! I was unable to attend live but final got a chance to watch the recording and I have to say it was one of the most informative hour I’ve sat through.
    I highly suggest anyone with the hornady kestrel to sign up for one if they do it again.

Reactions: goneballistic

striped1

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 30, 2010
    Howard Lake, MN
    @Kestrel Ballistics Thank you for doing the zoom training session last month! I was unable to attend live but final got a chance to watch the recording and I have to say it was one of the most informative hour I’ve sat through.
    I highly suggest anyone with the hornady kestrel to sign up for one if they do it again.

Is there a link for the zoom recording?

Paul1262

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 13, 2019
    Completely agree with drwood96's posting. The training session was very informative due to the excellent presentation. I would also like to thank the Kestrel team that offered and presented this training session.

Reactions: LH_Gina

jrsandiego12

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 11, 2020
    San Diego, CA
    Thinking of trying the Kestrel 4dof - I have the AP Kestrel - and the 4DOF phone app - sooo, a lot of older posts have asked similar questions but I don't see firm answers - so sorry to repeat:

1. Is the 4DOF still limited to 3 guns, and loads?
    2. Are there 4 DOF profiles available for non-Hornady bullets? Berger?
    3. Does it link to the SigSauer LRF binos - Kilo3000?

Thanks

drwood96

Samsonite! I was way off!
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2017
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    rolltide.com
    Thinking of trying the Kestrel 4dof - I have the AP Kestrel - and the 4DOF phone app - sooo, a lot of older posts have asked similar questions but I don't see firm answers - so sorry to repeat:

1. Is the 4DOF still limited to 3 guns, and loads?
    2. Are there 4 DOF profiles available for non-Hornady bullets? Berger?
    3. Does it link to the SigSauer LRF binos - Kilo3000?

Thanks

1. Yes, the Kestrel itself is limited to 3 profiles but you can have a lot more on the kestrel app and just push the three you need to the kestrel. A quick process.
    2. yes, they have focused on the popular LR match bullets. Don’t see the newer 109 & 144 Bergers but the 105 and 140 are in there. They have roughly 100 bullets under 4DOF. I would pay for an expanded library.
    3. They do not as the Kilo3000 uses AB proprietary BT protocol.

Eric B.

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 6, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    As I understand the "4DOF" ballistics it uses Coefficient of Drag (CD) instead of Ballistic Coefficient (BC) because BC changes with velocity and CD does not.

jp67

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 3, 2006
    Into the wild
    Is there a chance you can fixe this?
    That would be great!! Thanks
    IMG_20201221_111740.jpg

Basher

I fly stuff and I know things.
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2004
    Chandler AZ, USA
    Reactions: jp67

jp67

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 3, 2006
    Into the wild
    The last update fixed the pressure issue and turned my 4mph gun into a 7 mph gun without changing anything. What is going on????
    Anybody else has the same issue?
    Thanks

Last edited: