• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady LNL progressive vs. Dillon 550?

whackahog308

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Houston
I am considering both of the above for a first progressive press. I am still a novice, but moving along...Which is the all around best???

Re: Hornady LNL progressive vs. Dillon 550?

The LNL and 650 are closer in comparasion. The 550 is a four station, manual indexing press. The LNL and 650 are auto indexing, five station pressesI have the predecessor to the LNL, a 650 and a 550. All would serve you well.

For a first press, go with the 550. Do not dive into progressive reloading with an auto indexer. The 650 is good if you load pistol...a lot of pistol. Btw, Dillon over Hornady hands down.

With individually removable dies, auto indexing, and a priming system that does not dispense a primer if not needed, the LNL AP is more usable as a single stage, a turret, or a fully progressive press than the 550 or the 650.

Andy

I was told by the reloading shop here don't buy the horaday. He said it breaks alot and is next to impossible to get parts for. He said dilon. But is what he told me true? I don't know if I should beleive him. I was wanting to know the samething. But what do you guys think about the hornaday LNL that own them?worth it or not?

All the Hornady stuff I own is high quality. While I chose the Dillon 550 and highly recommend them for their quality and no B.S. warranty, (i.e., any broken part is replaced FREE!), I hear good things about the LNL as well.

The 550 parts that I have had to replace were due to loss or my own clubby hands over torquing the primer base pin or the spent primer chute cotter pin. Little stuff that is easily replaced if you also buy the spare parts kit for $20.00 or so.

I assume you have reloaded using a single stage press. If so, you already understand the "take your time" advice. The increase in production is dramatic.

QQ: you are correct. I have only a few months with a single stage in my reloading past. And "take your time" it certainly is. Not so bad for loading big rifle cartridges. But mass loadings of pistol cartridges are starting to get monotonous. Not to mention the blank stares from the wife after I have been out in the garage for hours loading 100 rounds of 45 acp. Some serious back injuries make it painful for me to sit in the reloading position for long periods of time, on top of it all.

I have never really talked to anyone that uses a Dillon. That's why I posted this. Dillon seems to me very much a proven known quantity...

I don't hang with anyone that reloads and that is my asocial problem. There are reloaders out at the range I go to that I do talk with. They are all benchresters however, and are using Sinclair, not Dillon. To them single stage is good.

I haven't laid eyes on a Hornady LNL, nor does one seem to exist in Houston, at least for public buying or viewing. Dillon has a dealer here in town at least although I know they are a deal direct outfit. So the nod seems to go to Dillon...Thanks for the info.

Is there any reason to buy or not buy a used Dillon? The price used seems to be about the same as new???

I got a deal on a used RL550B back in the mid-'90's, and that started me off in handloading. Never looked back, never saw any need to alter the arrangement.

I am testimony to the fact that given enough stupid determination, anything can be broken. Even small parts on a Dillon. QQ nailed it. The spare parts kit isn't necessary, what little I've needed have been same day shipped, free of charge; all the kit can do is get you back up and running sooner.

I've seen the LNL progressive and it looks fine to me. But I'm stickin' with my Dillon.

Greg

Thanks for the reply Langelius. So, I take it that if a worn part off a previously owned Dillon Press breaks, Dillon is still going to warranty it? I mean, of course, subject to somebody doing something abusive (see below) of the machine, or even if somebody does something abusive.

I bought a previously owned 50 BMG press from RCBS. I got a stuck case in it, and by frustration and a lot of muscle, managed to break the actual press itself trying to extract the stuck 50 bmg case. That is when I discovered the RCBS press is made out of cast metal, not forged, and has a weak design where it mounts to the bench which is where I broke it off. RCBS gasped when I told them, but no questions were asked about whether I bought the press new, and RCBS "fixed" it. Now that is what I call a "No BS" warranty. I won't do that again hopefully, but one never knows.

I had a Hornady 300 win mag die that seemed to be too tight in it's neck tension, and Hornady seemed a little more conservative in their "fix" of the situation. I wonder if they would have rejected my claim if I had broken one of their presses.

Would Dillon warranty a broken part off a used purchased press of theirs?

Should I be looking for a manual index machine (550) or an auto indexing (650)? I am a relative novice but I hate to buy a machine and then have to replace it later. I don't shoot competitively, just shoot a couple of hundred rounds a weekend of pistol and sometimes 223 and 308.

Any more thoughts, thanks.

No matter where you got the press they will warranty it. If your house burns down they will repair it. Their no BS warranty is a no BS warranty.

I have had my 550b since '92 with no issues other than the occasional broken small part usually due to my errors.
I use mine as a single stage if I need to. The 550 is probably the best all around do most everything press you can buy. I do wish I had a 650 also for more of the high volume pistol and .223.

how many of those that replied have both machines???

I do

there is nothing wrong with hornady LNL it is amazing to watch those loaded rounds fall out, 600 an hour no probs

My dillon i use as a single stage press for match ammo, there is no comparison between the two for amount of ammo per hour loaded...LNL wins easily

SO
depending on what you aspire to do
Match quality ammo single stage

bulk ammo for AR etc full progressive

LNL is a good machine and on par with my dillon for quality,
your $$ your decision

I have not had an issue with either of my 550 Dillons that caused me to need a warrenty part. I did buy a Dillon D-Terminator electronic scale, slightly used a while back. The check weight was missing. I called Dillon to buy one & they shipped one to me free of charge. That's what I call service!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would Dillon warranty a broken part off a used purchased press of theirs?</div></div>

I purchased both Dillons used. I have since had both rebuilt. It cost me freight to Dillon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dillon i use as a single stage press for match ammo, there is no comparison between the two for amount of ammo per hour loaded...LNL wins easily</div></div>

I assume you're comparing a 550 to the LNL. Different story with the 650. My casual cyclic rate is 900 per hour. Actual is a little less. I like the 550 for rifle. I feel I have more control with manual indexing.

The LNL is a great press. I probably would have bought one if Hornady had a casefeed eariler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your house burns down <span style="font-style: italic">(Dillon)</span> will repair it.</div></div>

This is a popular but false rumor. Call Dillon and confirm.

Andy

This thread has really helped me out an I thank everyone who has jumped in. Now my question is will the 550 be faster than a single stage press when used in the indexing mode? That's a dumb question I think. I am just trying to figure out how far to leap in the speeding up production category. I have a single stage and find it fast enough for big rifles, in fact I wouldn't want to go any faster for 300 win, 338 LM & 50 BMG.

It is the 223, 45 acp, and maybe 308 autoloader production I would like to increase. I would be content 1-200 rounds per hour in speed of production. Will the Dillon 550 do that when indexed?

I tend to like mechanical items that are simple and basically do what they are told to do without high cost and maintenance. I drive a truck, not a Porsche or Lexus. If I could I'd drive my old Ford 6600 tractor to work downtown...

If I cou

It's a Dillon. It's covered. Period. I called, I specified the part, suggested that if it failed once, it might again, when it arrived, there were two parts in the package. No BS is precisely that.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be content 1-200 rounds per hour in speed of production. Will the Dillon 550 do that when indexed? </div></div>

I could crank out 200 rounds per hour, but I would have to slow down or take more breaks.

A comfortable pace will easily net 400 RPH of .45 ACP. I tend to move a little slower loading rifle; about 300 RPH.

Eddie, thanks for the info. That speed of production is more than enough for me. Heck I felt overjoyed when I could even just make one 45 acp bullet fit and function at all in my 1911...I had been using RCBS seat & crimp in the same die set of dies and about gone nuts with bulged case mouths. I was spending a lot of time on each round and getting very inconsistent bullet seating and crimping. Switched over to Lee dies and bulged case mouth problems went away. I stopped having to do every round individually.

Now, I can imagine being able to do the process quicker on a progressive press...this is obviously one of those learning curves that a person has to go through.

The Dillon 550 seems more versatile than the 650 in that it can be used manually. The 650 is certainly more pricier in it's parts and more for someone who is shooting competitively and needs a heckuva lot of rounds in a hurry. The Hornady LNL is more like the 650 in the speed department. I can get a Hornady LNL at Midway for well under 400.00 but I would think there's gotta be a catch somewhere that brings it up to the price of a Dillon 650. Could be wrong there but, I would think that in the end, the Hornady has to be competitive with the 650 if it's really apples and apples between the two. And there isn't a long track record with the Hornady.

Anybody got a used Dillon 550 with 45 acp parts for sale?

Eddie, what do you think of Dillon dies? I have heard they are "good"...Do you use other manufacturer dies on you Dillon or is it worth the extra bucks to get Dillon dies to go on your Dillon press?

Thanks Again. Mike.

I'm a beginner too and I'm going with the 550 because it manually indexes which lets you go at your own pace and also allows you to use it as a single stage press if you wish

Mike,

The FCD is one of two Lee products I own.

I do like the manual indexing for rifle loading, but I can't imagine loading .45ACP on anything not auto-indexing.

The LNL is actually an updated version of the Projector. I used one to loaded waaaay into six figures in the '80s and early '90s. It had its quirks, but worked well overall. About 12 years ago, I got a REALLY good deal on a one year old 650. If I didn't have the 650, I may have bought a LNL when the casefeed became available.

I use Dillon dies for handgun rounds and short-line rifle ammo. I prefer Redding or Forster for long range ammo. If you're loading straight walled cases, the Dillon sizer dies have a more generous taper, which facilitates progressive loading. Lots of folks use other than Dillon with good results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJakeJ1s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your house burns down <span style="font-style: italic">(Dillon)</span> will repair it.</div></div>

Andy</div></div>

well my house did not burn but I stored my dillon near the ocean and it FROZE UP!! and rusted I spent a week trying to free it and it never budged! sent it in and they sent it back looking and working great and with some new small parts I left off during my attempted fix failure.

I used to use rcbs dies but I got a set of dillon 45acp dies and WOW! the difference on a progressive is amaazing. I have sold my rcbs dies and replaced them with the dillons. whatever press you get consider dillons dies on any pistols you reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJakeJ1s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your house burns down <span style="font-style: italic">(Dillon)</span> will repair it.</div></div>

Andy </div></div>
Correct. That is a false rumor. There was just a recent thread on another forum where a guy was bitching because Dillion wouldn't replace his Dillion press that he lost in a house fire. Personally I thought is was pretty ballsy to even call and ask and then to turn around and bitch about it just blew my mind.

All that said, Dillion still didn't tell him to just piss up a rope and while they didn't flat out say it, I think if it wasn't for the fact that this guy had homeowners insurance, I think they may have fully helped him out? I still think it's shady that people try to do that kind of stuff but to each their own I guess?

Eddie, so why can't you imagine loading 45acp on a non auto indexing progressive? I mean for six figure loading yeah I can see that but for a casual loader shooting a few boxes of 45acp a weekend? As far as speed goes, 400 rounds an hour sounds like lightning to me. That's 8 boxes an hour, obviously. Other than speed, is there some reason why you you prefer auto indexing for 45 acp? Sounds like I may be missing something here...

I have looked at the prices for the caliber specific items on the 650 that have to be changed out and they are not small change. None of it is big big bucks but $$$ sure adds up faster on the 650. You seem to actually be pointing out the Horn LNL in an auto press in place of the 650. Does the Horn LNL end up being cheaper than the 650 in the long run or does it even out in the end? The 650 looks complex to me. Give me simple if I can get it.

Nonetheless, if I am going to make the progressive jump, I'd ruther jump all the way and get it over with if that's where I am going end up anyway. My next jump has got to go all the way where I am going to be for a long time. I don't have room for it all...

Hey thanks again, I realize you don't do sales pitches.

Good to hear about the Lee dies. I never would have suspected they were good because they were too cheap, I thought. I had bought and shelved those Lee dies awhile back...Now they are cranking out the 45 acp. Mike.

I went thru this back in January, went with the Hornady LnL AP

I used my Buddy's Dillon 550 and liked the Hornady much better.

I load one round at a time as i'm a beginner and do not want to have a "situation". I do not run it in progressive and it's been a hoot! good luck which ever way you go, i'm sure you will enjoy either machine just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: offcant721</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eddie, so why can't you imagine loading 45acp on a non auto indexing progressive? I mean for six figure loading yeah I can see that but for a casual loader shooting a few boxes of 45acp a weekend? As far as speed goes, 400 rounds an hour sounds like lightning to me. That's 8 boxes an hour, obviously. Other than speed, is there some reason why you you prefer auto indexing for 45 acp? Sounds like I may be missing something here... </div></div>

Mostly because I've loaded on an auto-indexing machine since about 1986. I <span style="text-decoration: underline">reload</span> .45ACP, but I <span style="text-decoration: underline">handload</span> rifle ammo, therefore I enjoy the control manual indexing gives me. Loading .45 is more about RPH. I loaded .45 on my 550 while my 650 was being rebuilt; no issues, just less production. A good friend can't imagine loading any round on anything other than a 1050.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have looked at the prices for the caliber specific items on the 650 that have to be changed out and they are not small change. None of it is big big bucks but $$$ sure adds up faster on the 650. You seem to actually be pointing out the Horn LNL in an auto press in place of the 650. Does the Horn LNL end up being cheaper than the 650 in the long run or does it even out in the end? The 650 looks complex to me. Give me simple if I can get it.</div></div>

The 650 isn't cheap, but neither is a Lexus. The LNL will cost less. IMO the 650 has an edge on the LNL. Nothing really tangible, just my perception. I'm betting most LNL owners have an opposite opinion. As I mentioned, had the timeline been different, I might own a LNL based on my experience with the Projector. If you have a reasonable degree of mechanical inclination neither is complicated. Again IMO, the LNL may be more complicated. LNL owners, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it uses the same indexing method as the Projector, which can require adjustment. The 650 indexing is adjustment free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nonetheless, if I am going to make the progressive jump, I'd ruther jump all the way and get it over with if that's where I am going end up anyway. My next jump has got to go all the way where I am going to be for a long time. I don't have room for it all...

Hey thanks again, I realize you don't do sales pitches.

Good to hear about the Lee dies. I never would have suspected they were good because they were too cheap, I thought. I had bought and shelved those Lee dies awhile back...Now they are cranking out the 45 acp. Mike. </div></div>

In the end, only you can determine what you want/need. It all comes down to personal preference: Is price the most important factor? Do I need a case feed for rifle? How fast do I want to load?

Just to be clear, I don't recommend Lee dies on a 650. I tried a set and and didn't care for them.

Eddie, once again thanks or the guidance. I only have room at my bench for one press to replace my RCBS IV. Due to space constraints, one (more) press has gotta do it all. That is 45 acp to single stage rifle. Sounds as if the 650 is not going to do precision single stage rifle loading. Sounds as if the 550 will do it all, albeit with less speed than a 650 on pistol cartridges. So I am leaning toward the 550 for a "do it all" press since it will function in the single stage mode for rifle cartidges as well. For my needs, 400 rounds per hour of 45 acp is plenty....then I can do my precision rifle loading on it as well. Plus, maybe my Lee 45 acp dies will work on the 550 for the time being.

Am I wrong?

Your (further) thoughts, as always are greatly appreciated. I can't say enough about the help you have given me so far. Thanks, Mike.

Mike,

The 550 will serve you well. If I could have only one, it would probably be the 550 (although, it would be difficult to surrender the 650).

Try the Lee dies. Some folks are happy with them. The case/sizer die alignment with straight-walled cases is more critical with the Lee die. This is less of a concern on the 550, more so on the 650.

Good luck,

I have both the LNL and the 550. I agree with EddieNFL, these presses are not in the same category. A better comparison would be between the LNL and 650. You will require a casefeeder with either one, which they do not come with. The LNL will be cheaper.

Every issue has pretty much been covered here except powder throwers. Regardless of the Dillon press, 550 or 650, I don't think you are gonna like the Dillon powder measure for precision rifle reloading.

I load Varget for rifle. It meters beautifully through the Hornady thrower, and sucks through the Dillon. The Dillon does not meter stick powder well. But for true precision loading, you're gonna want to weigh every throw of powder.

One solution if you're set on the Dillon is to put the Hornady thrower on the Dillon press.

Having had and used a Hornady LnL AP for the past 3+ years with no parts failures, I might be a tad biased... However as noted above, the Hornady may require an adjustment to the indexing once in a while, takes about 2 mins max, if you read and follow the directions on doing it. As far as caliber changes, that takes <5mins if going from say 308 to 223, and you have LnL bushings for your dies, "Set it and forget it"

Hickman, you have raised an issue that I have thought about but not focused in on. I have thought about but not thought enough about powder throwing and it is an issue. I have been using an electronic RCBS loadmaster which I have to say is a pleasure. The RCBS is about perfect, just press and fire out a perfect charge every time. I would have a hard time going back to a scale. I did not get consistent throws out of the standard RCBS powder thrower when using extruded powder. I have never used a scale or a manual thrower since I got the electronic loadmaster. But obviously I would not be using the electronic loadmaster on a progressive press. And I wondered if the Dillon powder thrower was better. According to you there may be an issue getting consistent extruded powder charge throws....Argh.

Somebody somewhere has to have the issue of inconsistent stickpowder charge throws from a manual thrower figured out. I don't want to go through that issue again. Sinclair makes some pricey powder throwers that look like they would solve the "issue" but the $$$ is one more add on....

That's good info that the Hornady powder thrower throws stickpowder charges more consistently according to you. Thanks again...Mike.

Of course you can use the automeasure with RL550B!

Simply put a funnel (like the AT400 has) in the position where the Dillon measure would go. Using a spare empty case, use your autometer to meter a charge, and pour it in through the funnel into the waiting live case when it's in position.

Voila!

I have owned a Hornady LnL and a Dillon 650. The Hornady didn't have the case feeder and the Dillon did. The LnL is very well made. I had loaded shot shells for 20 years but I was new to bullet reloading and needed some help but all my friends had Dillons. My dealer was useless and so I sold the LnL on ebay and bought a Dillon 650. That being said I would buy another LnL even with the spring retaining system. I own a Dillon 1050 now for 45acp and it is a dream, really easy on my arm.

I looked closely at a 550B the 650XL and the LnL.

I bought the LnL because at the time the 650 was a little out of my price range and the LnL allowed me to get the features of the 650 without putting anything on a CC.

I'm very very pleased with it. Setup was pretty easy, after a minor teething issue for the primer tube things are all good to go.

My dad sat down at it for a couple hours and loaded a full case of 44 mags one afternoon at my place. He liked it so much that he bought one of his own.

The LnL is really a winner when it comes to caliber conversions, they cost about 1/4 of what the Dillon's do, the output from my LnL is the same as a friend's 650 and the powder dispenser adn primer setup is much nicer.

Greg,

If you charge your cases individually, you are probably doubling your reloading time.

The fastest way to reload pistol ammo is to put a bullet on, pull the handle, put a bullet on, pull the handle.........

The Dillon catalogue has an adapter if one wants to run a different powder measure thrower on a 550. That is a powder measure that would more consistently meter out stick powder. There is no similar adapter listed in the Dillon Catalogue to run a non Dillon powder measure thrower on a 650. I assume that this is because there are some mechanical issue in the automation of 650 powder thrower arm working with powder measure throwers of a different brand?

Sounds like stick powder doesn't always meter so great with a standard Dillon powder thrower.

Is one limited to using spherical powder out of a 650 if one wants to get consistent powder throws? I know this issue has been beaten around the bushes here on the Hide and I am still uncertain....I'd hate to give up stick powder for my 223s and 308. I'd hate to give up Varget which I have read does not always meter well out of the standard Dillon powder thrower. Any ideas? Thanks.

Rookie;

At one time I loaded for handguns, and the progressive process was most definitely the way to go.

I now load LR rifle match loads relatively exclusively, and failing to weigh charges essentially cedes about 10-15pt to the competition.

It simply must be done.

I use the Dillon measure to drop a charge that is either at or slightly greater than the ideal charge. I then remove the case, dump it into the scale pan, and pinch out what excess there is. The resulting ideal charge is replaced in the case with a drop tube, the cartridge case rejoins the press, and all gets advanced for the next cycle.

I have used single stage, 650, LnL, and the RL550B, and the latter seems to be, for me, the easiest overall method to achieve my particular goals. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Greg

Greg, so you are stopping the cycle to hand weigh each charge? Weighing is not such a big deal with an electronic scale but...seems to defeat the purpose of all the speed of production.

Okay so 10 or 15 percent variation from charge to charge is the trade off for speed? A half a grain off is not such a big deal with a 45 acp, unless a person was at max charge and might blow up the gun. I suppose that amount of variation is tolerable for pistol cartidges but I found it intolerable for precision rifle loading.

Correct me if i am wrong, the 650 and Hornady LNL are not geared towards precision loading, they are for production.

One of the best pieces of equipment I have gotten is my RCBS Loadmaster for single stage loading. I breathed a sigh of relief when I didn't have to use a balance scale any more. The pinching and trickling was getting old. Arguing with the standard RCBS manual powder thrower got old too...Watching that loadmaster spit out charge after perfect charge has spoiled me rotten. I don't want to go back to manual charging.

Not a perfect world, I accept that...I just wondered what others had done or not done with their 650s and 550s regarding variable powder charge throws. Trying to figure it all out so as not to buy the wrong next press.

Looks like one who wants to precision rifle load as well as run production 45 does not sell their old single stage press when they buy a 650 or Horn. LNL. Thanks, Ramblin' on Rookie here.

Yes, I keep my single stage. If I'm working up loads I use the single stage and then set the progressive up for the chosen load once I've worked it out.

Yes, I stop to weigh each charge. There's clearly some delay. This is offset by the fact that I typically work in small batches, 50-60, or at most 100 rounds per session.

That's because I have a consititutional aversion to storing loaded ammo for periods longer than a month. I load for specific shooting sessions, usually for a an upcoming match I definitely plan attending.

My stock of match ammo typically is 100rd; 40 for score, 10-20 for sighters, and 40 more to share with a newb if it becomes an option. My loads use varmint bullets, and the unused 'share' ammo stays onhand in case I need to shoot something that's not made of paper. There's a Pejsa stock table drop/drift chart for the load taped to the left side of the stock.

Greg