• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hornady Tap ammo

Sebastian777

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2013
KY
Mods feel free to move this to a better location.

I've read several reviews that says Hornady Tap .308 168 gr ammo is just as good as and sometimes better than Federal Gold Medal Match, or even Hornady Amax match. The price is comparable to both the Federal and the other Hornady, so why doesn't everyone use the Tap? From what I understand, it's a ballistic tip, so it's good for hunting or "2 legged varmints", and it's just as precise as the other match ammo I listed. What am I missing here?

Also, I have a Savage 10 P-SR (18" heavy barrel with 1/10 twist) that I'm wanting to learn precision shooting up to 600 yards for, looking at shooting paper and shot-group size. Any recommendations on the best factory load? FGMM and Hornady Amax is what others have suggested to me, I'm just curious if there is a better round for the money or an equal round for less money. I've shot the FGMM out of it at 100 yards, and the combo of it and the rifle is more accurate than I am at this point.

It performs the same as the standard Hornady 168 AMAX load as they are loaded to the same velocity with the same bullet although with different powder and a nickel case, which some people don't like if they reload. The standard 168 AMAX load is cheaper as well. Not overly but a few dollars over a 1000 rounds adds up. I shoot the standard 168 AMAX load as my practice loads and they are very accurate.

I've found my rifle (Rem 700 .308) shoots the most accurate with 168 A-Max's loaded with 44.0 gr of Varget. I get around .5 MOA with them. A SWAT friend of mine gave me 3 boxes of 165 gr interbond TAP ammo to try out for myself. He said their team is switching to Winchester something or other and that they didn't like the TAP stuff.

I shot them and was getting groups around 2 MOA with them so I'd have to agree with him.

I have shot the 110s and 168 and they are as good as FGGM in the 3 guns I have shot them in, as for a factory load you are going to have to try different brands and save your brass. You might try Southwest they have aways shot real good for me.

A SWAT friend of mine gave me 3 boxes of 165 gr interbond TAP ammo to try out for myself. He said their team is switching to Winchester something or other and that they didn't like the TAP stuff.

I shot them and was getting groups around 2 MOA with them so I'd have to agree with him.

According to Hornady's site they don't make a 165grn Interbond TAP load. They make a 165grn Interbond Superformance load and that might be what you had and with the Superformance powder it is hit or miss with different rifles. My team mate's .308 shoots about 3/8 MOA with the Superformance 178s but mine is like 1.5 MOA.
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Bullet Type :: TAP® FPD™

That said you can't expect the same accuracy from a hunting bullet as a match bullet like the 168 AMAX.

According to Hornady's site they don't make a 165grn Interbond TAP load. They make a 165grn Interbond Superformance load and that might be what you had and with the Superformance powder it is hit or miss with different rifles. My team mate's .308 shoots about 3/8 MOA with the Superformance 178s but mine is like 1.5 MOA.
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Bullet Type :: TAP® FPD™

That said you can't expect the same accuracy from a hunting bullet as a match bullet like the 168 AMAX.

Are these the Superformance ones then?
1441395_10202102581941319_969456540_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1441395_10202102581941319_969456540_n.jpg
    1441395_10202102581941319_969456540_n.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 53