• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Horse Power, Track Shit, Torque, Cubic Inches, Liters, Run What Ya Brung, Auto or Cycle

There are some dealers that are dropping blowers on RCSB F-150s and selling them for $45-50k:

Done properly, you'll retain some semblance of a warranty and the truck still works like any other 1/2-ton pickup. Not a bad deal.

I'm generally not a big Ford guy, but the capability of the Coyote greatly impresses me, and the company's commitment to the Mustang far exceeds that of GM's to its non-Corvette performance nameplates. That suggests better support from the aftermarket now and into the future. Now, if only they would have built support for a proper fuel composition sensor into their ECMs...

Here's an idea of how it runs:

... 60 mph arrives in 4.2 seconds. The quarter-mile shows up in 12.4 seconds at 112 mph—however, it could be way quicker.

Technically, the top speed is governed at 105 mph, for warranty reasons. Presumably to keep the driveshaft from puking out its internals like Timmy on the Tilt-a-Whirl. It takes nearly 950 feet for the FP700 to reach 105 mph in the fourth of the 10-speed transmission's cogs and well before the coveted 1320-foot quarter-mile mark. A programming glitch allowed our test truck to power its way to 120 mph, albeit in a reduced power state. With a higher-speed limiter, the blown F-150 has the potential to be the quickest truck we've ever run through the quarter-mile.

Dammnn..
what specs/details??

1St Ive seen/heard of these..
And I believe Jay Leno tortured one on an episode of his show, but I could have remembered wrong. I know someone somewhere did an episode with it a while back.

I think we've turned the corner and are moving from disassembly to reassembly:

PXL_20231218_214518809.jpg
PXL_20231218_214526620.jpg
PXL_20231218_214535277.jpg

Gonna let this POR-15 harden for a few days, then run a Roloc pad over the gasket surfaces. Really looking forward to some car-show Boomer's explanation about how this particular shade of Chevy Engine Red is proper for a 1960s big-block but not an early 70s small-block.

I think we've turned the corner and are moving from disassembly to reassembly:

View attachment 8300608View attachment 8300609View attachment 8300610

Really looking forward to some car-show Boomer's explanation about how this particular shade of Chevy Engine Red is proper for a 1960s big-block but not an early 70s small-block.

I thought its orange... or blue right... im going to have to completely rethink what to paint my LS going into my miata... maybe ill paint it black and tell people its just a cheap ass iron block truck 6.0...

I thought its orange... or blue right... im going to have to completely rethink what to paint my LS going into my miata... maybe ill paint it black and tell people its just a cheap ass iron block truck 6.0...

If you go far enough back in the GM timeline, just about every color had its moment. I've always had a soft spot for the GM corporate blue color from the late 70s and early 80s, because that's what I remember seeing at the GMC dealership my dad worked at during that time. Not a great match for a burgundy car IMO, so red/orange it is.

"Well there's your problem..."

eMhcUY9.jpg

gD87a3i.jpg

One new longblock, one new oil cooling system, two new turbos and almost 20 aviation monetary units later, WE'RE BACK BABY!

kmIH9EG.jpg

Engine/tune is 100% stock for the 36mo GM warranty, which covers on-track failures. Trying to burn through the 1500mi break-in before Barber on 13-14 January. Trying to decide if I run Amsoil Signature 5w30 (factory spec weight) or step into something like LiquiMoly MolyGen 5w40 for track season...I think 5w50 Supercar might be a bit much for stock power and no ethanol.

I wouldnt run 5w30 of any flavor on track personally... thins out to much at high temps.

I run Amsoil Signature 5w50 in my track car with good results and I dont have an oil cooler.

Let me know if you need some Amsoil as I am a dealer. I sell at cost, but if you are already a preferred customer, its not really any cheaper usually.

I'm a fan of running 0W40 Mobil 1 on the track - it hasn't let me down despite some scary oil temps at the end of a 20-minute session. Lots of good choices nowadays. For a stock engine, GM should have recommendations that are more than adequate.

I'm a fan of running 0W40 Mobil 1 on the track - it hasn't let me down despite some scary oil temps at the end of a 20-minute session. Lots of good choices nowadays. For a stock engine, GM should have recommendations that are more than adequate.

They recommend 5w30 for all uses in the LF4 (ATS-V and CT4-V Blackwing)...but after a rod bearing failure with less than 20k miles and 16 track days on the motor (which saw fresh Mobil1 every 3k or 3 track days whichever came first) and multiple clean Blackstone analysis, I'm hesitant to go down that path. Occasional TNiA or HPDE likely fine, but for multiple days of high intermediate/advanced driving when its 90F+ outside, probably not so much.

Worth noting GM recommends 0w40 Supercar for the LT4 in the CT5VBW for all uses, but specifes 15w50 in the LT4 when tracking a ZL1 1LE.

Anyone done arp rod bolts? Did you have the size the big end?

Parts are in the mail for my "racecar" build.

I hope that flat tappet cam lives. Seems like there are a lot of horror stories these days.
Lucas Hot Rod Classic 20-50 with extra zink.
I don't think that any of us expect any highly modified motor to last forever. It's a given part of the hobby that things are probably going to fail.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I don't think that any of us expect any highly modified motor to last forever. It's a given part of the hobby that things are probably going to fail.
I’ve always used the VR1 in my 66VW

Connecting rods should always be resized when changing hardware and especially during a rebuild.

Correct. I don't know what engine we're talking about, but if it's an LS, then this task is made more difficult by the use of "cracked caps". It's not possible to dust a few thou off the mating surfaces and resize the big end as one would do with a conventional rod.

Correct. I don't know what engine we're talking about, but if it's an LS, then this task is made more difficult by the use of "cracked caps". It's not possible to dust a few thou off the mating surfaces and resize the big end as one would do with a conventional rod.

I think it's a cracked cap style

It's a u20sed from a suzuki. Hoping for 100hp at the wheels......

The arp bolts are for sustained rpm during 24 hours of lemons races.

Well, I hope it makes it through break-in for you.

I think it's a cracked cap style

It's a u20sed from a suzuki. Hoping for 100hp at the wheels......

The arp bolts are for sustained rpm during 24 hours of lemons races.
If they're cracked caps then you can put new hardware in make sure your bearing clearances are still in spec. ARP also recommends using bolt stretch to tighten the rods instead of just a torque setting.

Well, I hope it makes it through break-in for you.
I use a break in oil and then switch to the Lucas on first change. I cut open the filter and inspect the pleats for anything abnormal.
It'll be on a dyno for break in and tuning. I have videos of the last couple times I have built one. If it expires I want video of it.

Reactions: Skunk
I use a break in oil and then switch to the Lucas on first change. I cut open the filter and inspect the pleats for anything abnormal.
It'll be on a dyno for break in and tuning. I have videos of the last couple times I have built one. If it expires I want video of it.
The last time I had my crate on the dyno - the dyno shop owner rolled a mop and bucket over to the thing and told me that if I kept fucking around - it would be needed. I am very glad he was wrong!

I’m pretty sure I’ve posted this before but it’s one of my favorites. Mercedes superturbodiesel, bitches

Last weekend I broke the bit on an impact driver, you know, big thick screw bit, smack with hammer it turn a little. Nope got two of the screws out. (hinge screws on the VW) Three stripped, and one snapped the bit half in two.

I bet I had that tool 40 years. It was the father in law's.

Out with the drill.

Last weekend I broke the bit on an impact driver, you know, big thick screw bit, smack with hammer it turn a little. Nope got two of the screws out. (hinge screws on the VW) Three stripped, and one snapped the bit half in two.

I bet I had that tool 40 years. It was the father in law's.

Out with the drill.
Kroil is your friend. I put that shit on everything. Like the commercial.

I use it to clean barrels and actions. I've got a dirty muzzleloader that's going to get a treatment today.

I have talked about my cars, back when I was racing, but never really posted any photos up. Days before every camera had a phone.

The wife was going over the photos over the weekend and I snagged a couple.

First is at world of wheels in KC. I took 2nd place for production race car behind a real comp cobra. I don't think you have much chance of winning against that. I did not even know there was something I could win. The club liked my car and asked me to bring it. It was a huge hit, not just the SCCA booth but the entire show. So many people coming by, oh I had one of those, my girl friend in high school had one of those....talked to people for hours.
1703594209829.png

1703594232789.png

This one is first time out at Hallett on the false grid. Lights are up as the other side was not finished yet. The car was not ready to run but I did it anyway. Blew an oil line on about lap 4 of the first race. Ran the rest of the event and the motor gave up near the end, just started loosing power.

1703594345253.png

Before that I ran an MR2, Heartland Park Topeka.
1703594439202.png

1703594460100.png

I have talked about my cars, back when I was racing, but never really posted any photos up. Days before every camera had a phone.

The wife was going over the photos over the weekend and I snagged a couple.

First is at world of wheels in KC. I took 2nd place for production race car behind a real comp cobra. I don't think you have much chance of winning against that. I did not even know there was something I could win. The club liked my car and asked me to bring it. It was a huge hit, not just the SCCA booth but the entire show. So many people coming by, oh I had one of those, my girl friend in high school had one of those....talked to people for hours.
View attachment 8305892
View attachment 8305893

This one is first time out at Hallett on the false grid. Lights are up as the other side was not finished yet. The car was not ready to run but I did it anyway. Blew an oil line on about lap 4 of the first race. Ran the rest of the event and the motor gave up near the end, just started loosing power.

View attachment 8305895

Before that I ran an MR2, Heartland Park Topeka.
View attachment 8305896

View attachment 8305897
A first gen MR2 and a Gulf liveried Opel GT all in one post. Great way for me to waste time while I do control arm bushings.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
A first gen MR2 and a Gulf liveried Opel GT all in one post. Great way for me to waste time while I do control arm bushings.
You can't tell in the photos but from roughly the beltline on the Opel up was all in pearl.

God she is a good looking car.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger