• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Horus PDA/Kestrel or Mobile app?

Punisher3

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2013
Montross, Virginia
Ok, I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere that discusses the pros/cons of both, but I can't find it for the life of me...sooo, i'm sorry if this is a repeat.

How do the mobile app's like Applied Ballistics measure up to the Horus Atrag? I know the benefits of having a Kestrel w/ software, but that's not what I'm trying to debate. Does the $30 app compete with the Atrag software? Or is spending the extra few hundred dollars justified in your opinion?

I personally use my Kestrel Atrag only as a back-up. Don't have a PDA with that program. You may want to clarify which you mean.

There are a lot more variables that you can put into the iPhone "shooter" or "Ballistic AE" apps. These apps are surprisingly accurate if you know your true variables (BC, velocity, atmos, powder velocity change with temp, etc.)

Now if you are talking about Coldbore or Field Firing Solutions, those are definitely a step above.

Well there are PDA's with the Horus Atrag software as well as the Kestrel with the Atrag software. But those are examples. I am just trying to see if these mobile apps are comparable to the PDA/Kestrel software in terms of accuracy and reliability. I have used PDA's and the Horus Kestrel before, but have no experience with the mobile apps. Just trying to gain some insight on the differences and if it is worth spending the extra money to get a PDA/Kestrel vs. only spending the $30 for a mobile app for shooting 1000 and closer.

Yes, I wonder if ballistic on iPad with 4500 reading is almost as good as applied ballistic on the kestrel?

Well there are PDA's with the Horus Atrag software as well as the Kestrel with the Atrag software. But those are examples. I am just trying to see if these mobile apps are comparable to the PDA/Kestrel software in terms of accuracy and reliability. I have used PDA's and the Horus Kestrel before, but have no experience with the mobile apps. Just trying to gain some insight on the differences and if it is worth spending the extra money to get a PDA/Kestrel vs. only spending the $30 for a mobile app for shooting 1000 and closer.

Heck you dont need the ATRAG to shoot to 1000 StreLok+ will do that and way way more and it will cost you 5 or $10.00 Save the rest of your money and buy something for your Wife, (She will be Over the Moon) And You Will Be In her Good Books.

John

Agree with MilDot1960. Anything to keep your wife happy is money well invested! The best advice I ever received (too late, since I've been married 44 years and known my wife more than 50 years)-If it floats, flies or F**KS, lease it, since will only depreciate over time!

Agree with MilDot1960. Anything to keep your wife happy is money well invested! The best advice I ever received (too late, since I've been married 44 years and known my wife more than 50 years)-If it floats, flies or F**KS, lease it, since will only depreciate over time!

See Heres a Fine example Proving that a little thought goes along way, 44 years aye, Great Stuff, Blessin's to you both.

John