• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hot sun and zero shift?

obx22

Troubleshooter
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2020
N.C.
I’m looking at this from a rimfire perspective, but perhaps centerfire shooters have noted something.
Years ago I was given a deal on a carbon wrapped barrel cause the gent switched back to a all steel (albeit a mid-weight). He said with the gun laying on its side in between relays, and in the hot sun, his zero would shift.
Is this a known phenomenon and I’m late to the party?
Is it seen in chromoly barrels?

Reactions: bwall57
I don't recall barrel temperature being a variable in common ballistic calculators.

Reactions: obx22
I don't recall barrel temperature being a variable in common ballistic calculators.
Because there's no way to quantify that for a calculator. Especially uneven heating.

We know for a fact that barrels heat and warp and groups start to walk, no adding that to your ballistic program.

Who knows, it could have been other things heating and moving, causing the probelm. Could be the all metal barrel was effected less, or it could be the all metal barrel was acting like a heat sink and drawing heat away from whatever else was the issue?