• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How accurate is accurate? FACTORY AMMO

Really?? Not being sarcastic. I've just never seen factory ammo go into the single SDs!

Only 20 shots, but... barely into single digit SD. :)

1575055729407.png

Reactions: Bluedeacon
My last post brought a question to mind.... When you guys chrono your ammo, whether it be factory or custom-loaded, how many shots do you consider proper (or minimum) to give you a valid SD and ES? Sort of like groups... the "standard" is a 5-shot group. "Three shot groups mean nothing!" ;)

How many shots in a chrono'ed series are considered to give "valid," usable, or "believable" SD and ES numbers?

Thanks!

Only 20 shots, but... barely into single digit SD. :)

View attachment 7192498

What's your barrel length if you don't mind?

One thing I keep noticing is ammo makers are always claiming pretty high MV out of their test rifle/barrel when compared to what people are really achieving. I have no idea why these numbers seem to be inflated more than they realistically are found to be.

One thing I keep noticing is ammo makers are always claiming pretty high MV out of their test rifle/barrel when compared to what people are really achieving. I have no idea why these numbers seem to be inflated more than they realistically are found to be.
Actually I think they're better today than 20 years ago. I often have ammo today that will actually match the velocity the manufacturer advertise. 20 years ago, you could shave some off almost all ammo. Some of it was pretty significant

Actually I think they're better today than 20 years ago. I often have ammo today that will actually match the velocity the manufacturer advertise. 20 years ago, you could shave some off almost all ammo. Some of it was pretty significant

You're probably right, and many test barrels are 24" or 26" so this might be why. Many post their numbers but perhaps they're running shorter barrels or Tikka barrels which are known to be on the slow side.

OEM barrel that came on my Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5CM. So... 24 inches.

I don’t really shoot for groups anymore but here is one from the Berger 140 Hybrids which is also what I shoot in my hand loads. This was factory ammo that I got at the beginning of this year and shot a few matches with. 5 shots at 100y. Gave me 2805fps out of a 24” factory AX barrel. SD was 8-9 and ES was 14-15 very consistently.

Attachments

• D1DE36DB-E3A6-4DE5-AE98-6918AF5B70B2.jpeg
    D1DE36DB-E3A6-4DE5-AE98-6918AF5B70B2.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 30
. But, whatever, democrats are afraid of facts and actual observables. ;)

Was gong to consider what you were saying, then you spouted this. Couldn't care less what you have to say now, but I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

I don’t really shoot for groups anymore but here is one from the Berger 140 Hybrids which is also what I shoot in my hand loads. This was factory ammo that I got at the beginning of this year and shot a few matches with. 5 shots at 100y. Gave me 2805fps out of a 24” factory AX barrel. SD was 8-9 and ES was 14-15 very consistently.
Very nice!!