• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Are You Handling .22LR Availability

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
About a month ago I decided to stop checking for the availability of .22LR just about every night on the computer after work.

My reasons were that I felt I have enough right now for my shooting purposes, and I found myself thinking more and more of how disgusting this whole ammo shortage is. I decided I was no longer going to prioritize this search for .22LR ammo.

If and when it becomes available and I'm in need, I'll seach for some .22LR... If I can't find it, I'll turn to my traditional muzzle loading rifles & pistols (both cap & flintlock's) and shoot them.

Should I not be able to get rimfire ammo, or powder for my muzzle loading firearms, I'll turn my attention to Archery, which I also enjoy.

I guess what it boils down to is that I'm fed up with all these shortages. I'm simply going to step back from prioritizing these shortages... I have other options & hobbies I can turn to that I enjoy just as much.

I'm going to have fun with what I have and what hobbies I enjoy. That's how I'm going to handle this whole shortage mess. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Re: How Are You Handling .22LR Availability

yeah joe it is strange. i never thought in my lifetime that i would have seen the day where a person would have to scrounge for 22 ammo. i also never thought i would have to seperate practice 22 ammo from the good stuff because of availablity or price!

i can almost understand the match and more top shelf shells, but to find the bulk crap being in short supply is scary. i have a few thousand saved up from throughout the years of the bulk stuff, however since i started to take a more serious approach to 22 shooting, and am now willing to pay $5-$10 a box for performance, it seems i can't get it without checking everyday either.

so there ya have it the ammo shortage is due to me as i'm usually bad luck...i get into precision 22 shooting and the shells disappear (ha ha)

with the birthday coming up this week i really wanted a few bricks of the good stuff that i can reserve for your 22 match and the silhoutte matches i'm doing.

seems the days of blowing 300 to 500 rounds on a sunday and tearing soda cans apart are for the most part over.

funny, it doesn't seem like shotgun shells are in short supply.....maybe it's time to break out the "tactical" shotgun.

hey, congratulations on being a grandpa!

i guess i'm handling it like the rest of us, rationing my shooting to 50 to 100 rounds or less a weekend, not making as many trips to the range (price of gas also) and shooting the rimfire just like a centerfire being careful not to puke shots downrange, as even rimfires are now a economic consideration.

things keep going like this and we'll have to start shooting those "adult air rifles", i almost gagged just thinking of it.

Ah yes, the shotgun. I could take up trap shooting again. That will become #4 on my list of enjoyments.

I whole heartedly agree that the days of running a 1/2 brick or more of .22's at the Range are long gone,,, for now anyway.

With this ammo shortage I have learned to try and achieve more with my shooting - while shooting less. My outings now consist of 50 to 100 rounds (depending), and I'm finding I enjoy this a bit more for some strange reason?

And thank you kindly for the grandpa congrats Top Predator.
smile.gif
By the time my grandson is old enough to shoot, maybe we'll be out of this .22 drought??? I hope!

A wise man told me 2 years ago to buy it cheap and stack it deep.
I am still not out, but buying it cheap has left me with some ahh..well let's just say "B" grade ammo.

The bulk pack I shot for the August match had me checking lot #s. one box is pretty good and another has some with noticeably less report, and noticeably low on target.

Local Wal Mart has Rem 550 bulk packs has had them in for two weeks and the guy behind the counter said there was a pallet and half in the back.

Congrats on the grandson Joe, read stories to him about shooting, hunting, and fishing.

I almost ruined my oldest grandson by turning him loose with a 10-22 and a brick of ammo before insisting on some marksmanship.

Keep up the good shooting Top Predator.

I have to get to the range some time when the wind is calm, oh yeah, forgot, its never calm at the range. Murphy must run the place.

The ammo crisis has been depressing for awhile now (pricing and availability)...And that's all calibers, not just 22lr.

Ive stopped shooting my stockpiles and diverted my attention back to golf. Bought some new Mizuno forged irons and a new driver... Its been nice and took the stress off of thinking about stockpiling for the zombie invasion.

For you golfers out there id recommend hanging up one stick for another. Its very therapeutic and green fees can be cheaper than shooting these days. Ammo prices have got to come down sometime. Until then just hang onto your stockpiles and defend them to the last man!

I don't have anywhere near enough put away. I try to limit shooting to 100 or less in a session because IMHO more than that is just blasting and doesn't work on any skills.

I don't have any semi-auto .22's so blasting is counter-productive.

It would be nice if ammo got cheap and plentiful enough to "blast" again.

Went into K-mart and they had 12 bricks of 500 - bought em all.

22LR is the only way to shoot in this ammo downturn!

clodhopper-

by your recent score, your shooting real well with the bulk stuff.

i had an oppurtunity to shoot 10 rnds of cci blazer (cheap) and it shot damn well out of the mkii. found it at the sportsmans guide, the next day went to the range, found a guy that was going to split a case with me. went home to order it and poof it was gone.

i was thinking of building a "tactical long range shotgun" using savage's bolt slug gun and hornady sst slugs.

still seems fishy to me that centerfire and rimfire are basically sold out every where yet i'm tripping over shotgun shells.

murphy (or his brother) must run my range also.

whatever is REALLY causing the ammo shortage, a few things are for sure:

my old man was right, (he spoke that days like these are coming and to be prepared) should have listened to him more...

...and we shouldn't forget these days so we are better prepared for the future.

...and to teach the next generation what we have learned.

All I know is that for the first time since I started shooting I have more centerfire ammo in .308 and . 223 combined than I do .22lr. I have enough .22lr to get me thru this hunting season and if I have to I'll buy more. The posittive to the ammo shortage overall has been a focus on better accuracy by me. Not much rapid firing, magazine dumps, bump firing or other senseless waste of precious ammo going on in my camp.

Went to wally's and they don't sell .22s now. Guess that's been for some time. I may have 4 cases stacked deep and bought on the cheap over the years.

Haven't tried Wolfs and can't find it either after looking off and on for months. Then browsing midway noticed they did have some in stock.

Buying ammo is like dollar cost averaging. Buy when it's high and low and for darn sakes have some.

Savage has just introduced the Model 220 slug gun. It'a 20ga rifled slug gun, built on the 110 action. As a Tactical Slug Gun, it's interesting.

I have about 25000 of bulk and mini-mags, am now conentrating on eley stuff, pmc gold eagle etc. Wally world seems to have some every time I go and I buy my limit every pay period.

the availability seems to be improving... at least in southern texas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">clodhopper-

by your recent score, your shooting real well with the bulk stuff.

i had an oppurtunity to shoot 10 rnds of cci blazer (cheap) and it shot damn well out of the mkii. found it at the sportsmans guide, the next day went to the range, found a guy that was going to split a case with me. went home to order it and poof it was gone.

i was thinking of building a "tactical long range shotgun" using savage's bolt slug gun and hornady sst slugs.

still seems fishy to me that centerfire and rimfire are basically sold out every where yet i'm tripping over shotgun shells.

murphy (or his brother) must run my range also. </div></div>

Well Top,
I admit not much of that 10-22 is ruger, but this time I shot rapid fire trying to beat changing wind conditions. Useing three ruger mags. NPOA check after each mag change
That seems to work better than the anschutz and primo ammo.
About the shot gun, have you ever cast slugs? I have the lee 1oz mould. The slug rides the bore wraped up in a shot cup just like a trap load, the big secret is to use a 20 ga .125 wad in the bottem of the 12 ga shot cup. It keeps the wad from wedging in the base of the slug. Fun shooting and pretty inexpensive.

Starting to see a lot more here. My rifle likes the Winchester Dynapoints pretty good and the K-marts around here are getting it back in stock. Bought 2 boxes in Ohio back in March and they had 6 in stock. Found some more here last month and my brother in law bought 6 of the 8 boxes they had because he found it shot very good out of his rifle and they were all the same lot. The 17's are what we are finding hard to find now.

Regarding long range tactical applications built a .22 based on 10-22 with 9 twist barrel. 60g 22 ammo is about as hard to find around here as wolf, rem sub sonics and some others.

the ammo shortage looks regional from here. have about the same amount of ammo on the shelves here as has been. which is not much.

no never cast slugs, but if i can get a choke into the savage bolt slug gun i WILL buy one. this way i could use a ic choke for the slugs and a extra full for turkey. here in the spring it's shotgun only. don't like using lead too much, i get pissed off cleaning all the garbage left behind.

While a given persons walmart/kmart/ace might be out, the world wide web makes sourcing ammo incredibly easy. A while back, someone posted a list of online sources on rimfirecentral and if a person works their way through that list, there is hardly a .22LR that isn't available, in bulk, right now, today.....that will be on your doorstep within the week.

Then again, if a person only wants to shop at walmart, these ammo shortage threads are here to stay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1917

Cabelas near Mineapolis MN, has a ton of 60 gr'ers on their shelf, when I went there a month ago, couldn't believe my eyes, then remembered it's a anti-can state. Still couldn't find CCI 40's though.

I still believe some stores aren't stocking because they don't even realize a shortage is out there, empty shelf oh well. People just need to "nudge" their stores a little bit also too.

</div></div>

DFOOSKING will check out cabelas online. thanks for the lead

I had to stop at a Walmart in south Louisiana the other day to have a tire repaired while I was there I checked out the sporting goods. They had rem match ammo 22 ammo and a bunch of other 22 ammo. I didn't see any shortage here. They also had plenty of other ammo 308, 223, 45, 9mm, 7.62x39 anything you want.

I bought all the 22 match they had and 223 62gr and 55gr and 45 230gr. They didn't even limit me to a few boxes like they do at home. As far a shotgun shells they had 2 pallets sitting in the isle and the shelves were packed with it.

Closest Walmart doesn't sell .22 around here. have heard some also sell powder and primers but not here.

shot some cci subsonics yesterday. Loud and they have vel 1050 but did made one ragged hole at 25yds out of 9 twist barrel.

I know no one wants to hear it, but when people are buying 500-5500 .22LR rounds at a time, that is not helping matters especially if the average retail sale was for a couple hundred rounds if that.

For the last couple of months, my local Wal Mart has had a fairly well-stocked ammo counter. At the beginning of the week, there's usually 6-8 bricks of 550 Remington .22LR Golden Bullet for $14.97, maybe 1-2 550 Federal .22LR bulk for $15.97, and there's plenty of the $$$ .22LR specialized ammo. I was surprised to see they had in stock handgun calibers like Federal 9mm 115gr FMJ for $8.97, Federal .40SW 180gr TMJ for $12.47, and Federal .45ACP 230 FMJ for $18.97.

I have had no trouble buying .22 ammo until the last three months, glad I stocked up when I did!

WOO HOO !! found some aguila ammo at cheaper than dirt. ordered 6 bricks of golden eagle match, 31.00 and change each. not bad out of a mkii, only tried 10 rounds previously at 100, gave a good enough group to go ahead and purchase some. with shipping, same price as i'm paying at walmart for the scuddy rem subsonics that i WAS using for practice.

once i run the aguila through the paces, i'll see if it's good enough to replace the sk match i'm now using at twice the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HighCondor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know no one wants to hear it, but when people are buying 500-5500 .22LR rounds at a time, that is not helping matters </div></div>

I've got no trouble hearing it but far be it from me to let it affect my buying habits.

For those willing to look for it, there has been ammo available by the case every single day of the week since the last election when these 'no-ammo' threads got going in earnest.

I think the real issue is that people are finding they occasionally have to go outside their well-worn rut to find what they want. One fact that many find shocking or borderline impossible: there are ammo vendors other than WalMart. Yeah, I know, pretty earth shattering but it's now proven to be true. Who'd a thunk it?!

i'm thinking that certain "pockets" of the country are having more problems than others. i also believe it's the specific type (bulk, subsonic, match, target etc.) that your looking for. my gander has wolf (at least last week) at 9.99 a box. can get it out of champion shooters for 6.50.

you usually can find some stuff somewhere, however most guys shit a brick in my area when i pay 6.50 a box, and vow that they never would. but they are usually only shooting 50 yards or less. the 6.50 + a box stuff usually all fire and are more consistant throughout various ranges.

high condor above has a point also, however i can't believe everyone will limit their consumption or purchasing so it can be spread around. kinda like only eating one hot wing on a full platter. you can eat just one, but you never do.

I've been to Walmart a few times and have seen .22 ammo there and haven't been able to get any due to there not being any saleman around. Everytime that happened, by the next visit everything was gone. I have a always had the habit of keeping a couple years supply, of normal shooting consumption, on hand, so I am not hurting. This whole panic episode is really weird to experience, but I hope it will pass sooner than later. Once everything stabilizes, it will feel weird to see ammo actually staying on the shelves and available whenever you need it.

Lots of Dynapoints at the local Walmart just for me (no really, I made them order it and had to get 5 cases). Price has gone up about 5 bucks per 500, but its still around.
May have to pick up another 5000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got no trouble hearing it but far be it from me to let it affect my buying habits.

For those willing to look for it, there has been ammo available by the case every single day of the week since the last election when these 'no-ammo' threads got going in earnest.</div></div>

Exactly. I've got my supply and steadily add to it when necessary. But to hear people say they're taking up golf, fishing, whatever because of .22LR ammo unavailability sounds rather defeatist. I guess those that had plenty before all this nonsense see things differently than those that had a couple 50rd boxes squirreled away.

Just bought 200 rounds at wal mart for $6/100 rounds.
Am going back this weekend for more.

Haven't seen much to speak of in stores but haven't had any problem finding what I need online.

Luckily my Wally Mart has been stocked pretty decently the last couple months. It's about time...

I have a tolerate/hate relationship with Wal-mart. I hate dealing with retards, not the mongoloid type, but the ones that are just stupid. You know the one that can't find the fucking key or the person who has it. Asks you if it is for a pistol or a rifle after they ask to see your ID to see if you are old enough. 38 is older than the 21 year old requirement to by pistol ammo unless my math skill have taken a serious turn for the worse. I tell them it's for both just because there isn't a "both" button on the register.

I have a co-worker that lives in the opposite direction from work than me and we keep an eye out for each other. He picked up a couple boxes of Federal "AutoMatch" for me. I need to get him a 100ct box of .45's

Bulk boxes have been available at Wally World recently. I pick up alittle something almost everytime I stop in. I got lucky and scored 3 boxes of Remington Target ammo. Today at farm store I found some CCI standard velocity.

Any brand of standard velocity is the hardest to find locally, the bulk HV stuff is getting better, there is usally something available if you aren't too choosy, Federal or Winchester. Shorts and Remington Subsonics are usually on the shelf, along with CCI maxi mag or stingers.
Centerfire is also improving, but still dosen't last long. 8 boxes of Winchester 100ct .45ACP for < $30 were gone within 2 days. (I guess I will just have to pay my co-worker cash instead). A 1/2 case of Federal 9mm "Champion" will last for a week or so. Usually there are a box or two of various other centerfire, and a shit load of shotgun ammo.

For once the light at the end of the tunnel may not be a train.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clodhopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A wise man told me 2 years ago to buy it cheap and stack it deep...
</div></div>

I agree! Get 'em while you can. Don't pass up any gun or gun related stuff. You don't know the political climate but you know how the market's gonna react to any legislation!

I did buy up lots o' .22 ammo and now I have plenty stockpiled.

I have a case of SK Jagd Standard Plus on the way from Champion Shooters. Due to be here tomorrow. They seem to have everything in stock.

I saw a bunch of 22 ammo at the ATP Gun Shop & Range in Summerville, SC today. I picked up a case of CCI Subsonic. They had several different kinds in stock.

Ammo has always been available.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Ch</span>eap</span> ammo is a different story.

At $35 per K from Wallyworld, blasting 22s and mag dumps are still doable and fun.

I just checked to make sure that i'm still in the US, and yes I am. I haven't experienced serious shortages like y'alls make it out to be. Granted the cheap packs from Wally World are seldom in stock, that's not the stuff I shoot. The cheapest ammo I shoot is the Remington Subs, everything else I have is either SK, or Wolf match. If it doesn't make bugholes at 25, and 50, I don't shoot it...period.

I can go to the Cabela's here in town and find the shelf full of Wolf Match Target, and quite a bit of other stuff as well. I don't have a problem getting the powder, and bullets for my .308 locally either. Primers are readily available at the gun shop right down the street (speaking of which I need to buy another pack, down to my most recent pack of 1000).

I haven't been shooting .22 much lately, I just finally got 'er out this past Sunday and sent 85 rounds downrange. That makes 1097 rounds since 5/2 when I bought it. I hope to have another 1500 through it by christmas, and maintain a brick per month after that. I suppose this shortage thing you guys speak of must be a coastal thing, no shortage around here, but that doesn't mean all you folks need to move here and become my neighbor.

Branden

I made a commitment to offloading my practice and training workload onto my 22's years ago. At that time, I established a backup supply of ammo to support this task.

My thinking was that supply fluctuations had occurred in the past and, given the likeliest projections, could occur again.

It was never about politics, it was about historical trends. Period.

Us guys who have been down the PTSD path have certain traits. We sit facing the door in the farthest corner, every time we shake a guy's hand we're scoping out the quickest, easiest five ways to kill him (no, not really, but it's a common joke among us...), and we never, never, never, ever, ever, ever allow our ammunition stocks to become impractically low.

It's not rocket surgery...

Then;

There's Walmart. They get slammed a lot on this site. I'm not going to throw stones or try to defend anyone/anything in this situation. My lifestyle dictates that my purchases are based on availability and price. Preferences, prejudices, and scruples are luxuries I can't afford. Without Walmart, I'd be undernourished, inadequately clothed, in poor repair, and otherwise pretty far behind the curve everywhere. I've never worked for Walmart, but I've worked alongside the folks who do, as an outside contracted product demonstrator. Quite a few of them are very good friends. They are glad they have jobs these days, and grateful for what they can get their hands on, which includes decent breaks on the products they sell.

Think what you like, I don't just like Walmart, I need it.

Greg

Just went to Wally World yesterday morning.

It seems they are catching up.

5 cases of Federal bulk $16.00 per

3 Cases Winchester bulk

Several cases of Remington (did not bother to count)

several boxes of most all popular rifle rounds

Bocoup .40 S&W, but very little pistol otherwise.

Try again, you should see it back in your area soon.

Forget shows and dealers, their pricing is still in the "shortage" range.

Ammo is running better up here at the wal mart. Pretty good selection of everything except .223.

Anyone use the FED match .22 ammo? Likes/ dislikes?

I agree with you Greg. I need WalMart too...lol. The WalMart here even carries some reloading supplied. No primers though. Like you said though, "Without Walmart, I'd be undernourished, inadequately clothed, in poor repair, and otherwise pretty far behind the curve everywhere."

Glad I got a case of 5000 Sk Standard Plus a while back. Someone I became acquainted with tried silhouette and gave up-sold me a case for what he paid ($300).
What are the chances of seeing decent match ammo for $3/box again?

About as much a chance as seeing a snowball in hell...lol. You did good there.