• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How are your gun club Presidents?

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
On Long Island there aren't too many choices in clubs. Seems that the Presidents of many of the clubs are old man who have let the power of their position go to their heads. When I started shooting small bore in jr high I was always the only young shooter. Im my area the clubs are filled with older men who can't let their old way of doing things go. Either its an unfriendly atmosphere of the club or they don't cater to other shooting sports. Its a shame to see the sport die out in a way. These guys are shooting themselves in the foot and doing a disservice to new shooters. My buddy and I joined a club in Pa to shoot long range and he almost fell over at how nice the club president was. No issues joining or ridiculous safety quals you need to go though to join. I love this sport and always try to encourage new shooters. Im open to any type of shooting. Time to embrace the change! Think its a NY thing. This state sucks!

I actually really like the club I just joined, everyone is really friendly and after I joined I got a call welcoming me to the club. The president of the club actually has a gun shop and I had met him a few times prior but he's good people. I get what your saying about the older group but give the crusty old bastards a chance, our generation kinda sucks as a whole and they need to be shown we're not like what they see most of the time. Once you get to know them they're not so bad.

I've never joined a club or any such thing but I am a member of a private range. It's the best range I've ever been to. Clean, nice people and best part is no fucking range-nazis (range-master bullshit). I fucking hate shooting at ranges with a range master and I wouldn't join any range with a range-master/ego-driven-president.

Hmm, Ok? These don't fit together. Not nit picking but it did stand out.

I guess I don't consider it a "club" I'm not really sure what a "club" is but my range is a for-profit member/public range. Shooting at the rifle range is free is you're a member and $20 is you're not. I dunno, maybe it is a "club" but the clubs I've always been to have had "club" in the title, i.e. 'Owl Canyon Gun Club'... There's no President at my club or any of that shit, just an owner and employees.

Yep, old men that power trip on the shit. The guy that lives on the range is very annoying. Bugs the shit out of me every time.

8 round mag limit (in a state with no limits) "because that's what Garands used when they started and they aren't gonna change now".

Best gun club is BLM. I'm the president and owner!

I guess I don't consider it a "club" I'm not really sure what a "club" is but my range is a for-profit member/public range. Shooting at the rifle range is free is you're a member and $20 is you're not. I dunno, maybe it is a "club" but the clubs I've always been to have had "club" in the title, i.e. 'Owl Canyon Gun Club'... There's no President at my club or any of that shit, just an owner and employees.

Got it. That is what I prefer myself. Pay a yearly fee for use or pay as you go. Piss on the membership/ club dues stuff.

Our Gun Club pres is a great guy. I run and organize all the rifle and pistol comps with the pres giving any help needed. He is also the RO on the weekends and there are shooters who dislike him. As the RO he deals with idiots who seem to be unable to not handle their firearms when the line has been made safe and people are downrange. As RO he constantly deals with morons unable to grasp the idea it is unsafe to sweep the entire firing line with the muzzle of a firearm. As pres he deals with crybabies whining over membership fees( seems some "shooters" think the target frames and general maintanence of the range is simply replaced free of charge by a fucking fairy or something). As the pres of an 1,100 member gunclub he deals with the fact the same 8 members show up to the annual workday for the range( oddly enough several will show up to shoot but when asked to give a hand- they always have something else they "need" to do). We organize junior events,CCW classes, shooting clinics and fundraisers for 2nd amendment causes. The guys with the 30rd mags spraying 25 and 50 yds are always the ones bitching. If you have a problem with a club officer-talk to him-offer to help and I bet your problem will cease to be. Otherwise go into the desert and shoot alone! My apology for the rant.

I've been a member of several gun clubs over the years. Everyone had a president, and a BOD, but more importantly an election for these positions, where every member had a vote. I always figured clubs were a reflection of the membership, if the members didn't like something, but still voted in guys/gals that didn't/wouldn't change things the way they wanted, then they must not have disliked it that much. Finding a club that has policy/procedures/rules etc. that you are more comfortable with, was the right thing to do, hope you're happy there. I'm lucky in Memphis TN, I belong to one of the best shooting clubs in the nation, The Memphis Sport Shooting Association. Check out the clubs web site, we just completed our new (about a year old now) club house, first class facilities, rifle/pistol/shotgun-almost every discipline.
I'm returning to this post to add: The MSSA, had a number of paid employees, we have full time grounds keepers, range officers, office staff etc., they do a great job, I don't know a single member that complains about not being able to shoot XXXX, the club bends over backwards to accommodate the membership. In those clubs where they rely on "volunteers" and free labor, you end up getting what you paid for. IMHO, you're better off charging higher dues, and getting things done right/ right now.

Last edited:
Some clubs have old farts running things, and many of them hate black rifles, or any semi-auto rifles. Other clubs have great people running things, and are willing to even entertain new things.

One issue many clubs face is finding qualified people willing to take on the jobs of running things. My gun club recently had the range officer resign, and in the past few months, they have found it difficult to find anyone willing to take on the duties. This may be because most clubs don't pay the officers anything. So the clubs are faced with trying to find someone with the skill set to do the job for no money, and is also willing to put up with most members bitching about the way they "should have done" things. Lots of board members get really tired of members who refuse to help work at the club that always bitch about how things are run. Many members find it much easier to bitch, monday morning quarterback, and tell others how to do the work than it is to actually show up and do the work themselves.

I'm not a club officer, but myself and Kevin D run the practical rifle discipline. We are fortunate that most of the guys who shoot with us actually ARE willing to help set up and run the matches. Overall they are a great bunch of guys.

Seems that the Presidents of many of the clubs are old man who have let the power of their position go to their heads.

Solution = Your name on the ballot during the next club election.

Not complaining, just don't care all that much. I love the old guys who slam the AR platform and talk all kinds of trash about it, claiming how the M14 shoulda, woulda, coulda.....and then I find out they were in the Navy or Air Force..... as if they ever humped anything anywhere. Not complaining, I am almost 50, been using, humping and issued the AR platform in a variety of configurations since 1980. Oh I love the old guys, tell me more.....Then going the other way, the matches are so blatantly lopsided for the 40 cal autos (got to make major and have a high cap), it is just no fun showing up with a 1911 or a 9mm platform to try and compete. But, the psycophants continue to show up. gee, sweet 40 yo - yeah dig your .40 too!

I am almost an old guy and I do feel your pain. Living 50 miles from the nearest range, well don't really go but for matches - although I will show up for clean up and build days, so I guess I am slightly better than a half ass member. I love the don't shoot from the holster rules. I love the guys shooting M1A's off the bench at 100 yrds like it is a damn benchrest gun. Some stuff is amazing.

On the other hand, one occasionally meets a swell fellow and it is how I have dealt with several members from here. It ain't all bad.

Last edited:
I have a private range on my own land. I get quite a few people out there shooting. I have 2 rules, if you have a dick you pay for ammo and if you are an idiot or an asshole you leave.

My grandfather donated a large parcel of land and quite a bit of money to found a sportsmans club back home. I grew up there fishing in the ponds and shooting targets/skeet. One day a few years after he passed I was shooting my deer rifle a few days before season. Some old asshole threw me out because I didn't have a membership card. I never went back, fuck those old pricks.

I was looking at a range close to the house. And after reading the requirements to join, I'll assume the range doesn't want new members. And will abide by the rumor that the club is a clique of snobby old guys.

I've only met the president of the club I recently joined couple of times and he sounds like a nice guy. I did however have a issue with a board member for a "rule violation" (not saftey related) and when I tried to explain the issue in my defense, I was cut off and he kept repeating that he's a board member and basically said he's right no mater what I say.

Other then that issue. I continue to stay respectful, mind my own business and do my own thing. It's worked out well and almost always makes for a successful range trip.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CLUBS ARE A WONDERFUL THING....we all have to have a place to shoot/compete....... most common problems in CLUBS ( all clubs.. not just shooting clubs )....... 5% of the membership does 95% of the work......
Have you ever volunteered to help run a match...????...help at hunter site in days...???..help at our National Youth Shoot day...??? aside from that there is business logistics.... safety/finance/maintainence/dues/newsletters...to name a few......
After you have volunteered/served/protected your club..against some member/vandal...shooting at windflags...leaving a mess...shooting at safety signs...etc...etc..... you will develop this safety/protect my club attitude.With clubs being closed down all across the country usually because of safety issues..we have to work together......
WHICH CATAGORY DO YOU FALL IN...THE 5% that do the work.....OR THE 95%.......that BITCH.....?????
bill larson

MY range you have to put in time to keep your membership. The clubs in question isn't mine its the others in the area. I do all of the above. Bitch,Shoot and volunteer!

CLUBS ARE A WONDERFUL THING....we all have to have a place to shoot/compete....... most common problems in CLUBS ( all clubs.. not just shooting clubs )....... 5% of the membership does 95% of the work......
Have you ever volunteered to help run a match...????...help at hunter site in days...???..help at our National Youth Shoot day...??? aside from that there is business logistics.... safety/finance/maintainence/dues/newsletters...to name a few......
After you have volunteered/served/protected your club..against some member/vandal...shooting at windflags...leaving a mess...shooting at safety signs...etc...etc..... you will develop this safety/protect my club attitude.With clubs being closed down all across the country usually because of safety issues..we have to work together......
WHICH CATAGORY DO YOU FALL IN...THE 5% that do the work.....OR THE 95%.......that BITCH.....?????
bill larson

I fall into the 0.5% who barely have time or energy to shoot. I pay my dues, follow the rules, police the range after myself, and don't care about the rest.

As far as assuming that anyone that doesn't show up for a work party must be bitching, sounds like an axe to grind on another thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Presidents are usually pretty good. It's those frickin' Secretaries that never send out any information ... wait a minute I am the Secretary. Never mind delete this post.

The old club I was at I couldn't stand. It got to the point that they were making us wear our membership cards around our necks among numerous other rules. It was a shotgun club that had a rifle range. Anyone that shot anything other than a shotgun or a rifle with a wood stock was not welcomed with open arms. The press and the board of directors were no very friendly to those outside of their core group.

The jury is out on the new club. So far I've just been paying the daily shooting fee and haven't bought a year membership just because I'm not sure what to think yet. They have a few dumb rules like: no drawing from a holster, ect.

I like my club. It is definitely run by old men. They reserve special rights as "founders." A couple of years ago, the club was led by a young Marine. A couple of the founders went off on them for reasons I don't know. Now I am the youngest member (at least who shows up to meetings).

It is difficult as a young guy to be as involved in a club that is chock full of retired military. And I do mean retired. Most retired military I know get another job.

The friction is that the older guys expect to always get their way and expect the younger leadership to spend as much time on things as they do. Now they are back in the leadership and there is a generational gap. Oh well...