• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How can I get my CZ 455 to shoot better with the suppressor?

mtcur3

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2008
I've got a rimfire suppressor made by a local shop. I've used it on my two FVSRs with good results. I just got a 1.5" 455 threaded American with plastic stock and took it out today. Using CCI SV, I got 6" "patterns" at 25 yards, two shots near each other 3 shots six inches away near each other. I pulled the suppressor off and got dime size 5shot groups at 50 yards. That's great news, the rifle shoots plenty well enough for squirrels this fall. The bad news is I bought this rifle to use with a suppressor.
What can I do to solve this problem? Would a wood stock help? How about bedding the action? I don't know where to start.
Thank you.

Updated 8/18/14 Problem solved.
We tried it on the Savage and found it still shooting low left. My son suggested swapping the "barrel" of the suppressor end for end and reinstalling the internals. Why not? We'll it worked. I'm not sure why, but we are back on targets with and without suppressor. The moral of the story, if you purchase a suppressor from the "local" guy just getting into building suppressors pay close attention when disassembling the unit. Even more so if you get no instructions.

Last edited:
If you remove the bolt and look through the barrel (with the suppressor attached), can you see any part of the suppressor? 6" groups at 25y makes me think impure thoughts about the mating of the suppressor and the barrel...

I'll double check the seating good idea to look down the barrel and compare it to the FVSRs. I'll also disassemble it and look over. This was my first suppressor and I got it in 2009 from a guy who was just getting into building suppressors. At the time I thought it was a great deal, but I now know cans are mostly life time purchases and saving $100 is not significant. I'm currently waiting on a Spectre.

Look down the barrel with the suppressor on and see if it's straight it may be angles a bit. Another way is to smoke the sup and then fire a few shots then you'll see where tje round is hitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use a thread spacer between the Suppressor and the barrel shoulder? I shoot a Spectre II on a CZ 455 and have to use a spacer because the threads on a CZ 455 are too long.

You might be getting some problems in accuracy if you are threading the barrel too far into the suppressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll check on adding a spacer. Where did you get the spacer?
I worked till dark today and didn't get to do much more than look down the barrel. Neither my son nor I can see that the suppressor is out of line with the barrel. I'll try and run some more rounds through it tomorrow.

I shot again this evening. I did not notice any key holing. I shot prone off a bipod at 25 yards to be sure I would be on paper. Using Aguila SS HP, without the suppressor, the first 5 shot group was one ragged hole, no big deal at 25, but encouraging nonetheless. I disassembled the suppressor and saw no indication of baffle strikes from the last outing. I put the suppressor on the 455 and made sure it was tight against the barrel and fired five rounds of Aguila SS HP from the same 25 yard mark. The group was 6" low and 3.5" to the left. It measured 1 and 1/8". That's better than last time, but not at all what I am hoping for. I did not have time to retest the suppressor on the FVSR. I'll be at work for the next couple of weeks, with not opportunity to shoot. Squirrel season doesn't open till 10/4, so I've still got time to work on this. I'll let you all know what I find. Thank you for your help.

Well, I've been at work for a week now and I got to thinking about my suppressor problem. I called home and asked my son to take the suppressor apart and check to see if the baffles were facing the right direction. There were not. There's no one to blame but myself. He put them back in correctly and will test fire it for me this weekend. Embarrassing for me, now I hope it still functions correctly.

I shot again this evening. I did not notice any key holing. I shot prone off a bipod at 25 yards to be sure I would be on paper. Using Aguila SS HP, without the suppressor, the first 5 shot group was one ragged hole, no big deal at 25, but encouraging nonetheless. I disassembled the suppressor and saw no indication of baffle strikes from the last outing. I put the suppressor on the 455 and made sure it was tight against the barrel and fired five rounds of Aguila SS HP from the same 25 yard mark. The group was 6" low and 3.5" to the left. It measured 1 and 1/8". That's better than last time, but not at all what I am hoping for. I did not have time to retest the suppressor on the FVSR. I'll be at work for the next couple of weeks, with not opportunity to shoot. Squirrel season doesn't open till 10/4, so I've still got time to work on this. I'll let you all know what I find. Thank you for your help.

what weight is that aguila SS ammo,
its not the 60gr I hope

The Aguila are the 38 grain variety. I found a case about 18 months ago for pre-panic prices and grabbed it.
I'm at 24 on the torque right now. The rifle is shooting fine w/o the suppressor. I sure the problem was due to the suppressor being incorrectly assembled.
We have eight CZ's which we use to hunt tree squirrels. I have one Varmint that I bought to shoot the various competitions posted at the top every month. I only got to shot a few rounds through the Varmint to sight in. I hope to start next month and I'd like to try the various accuracy enhancements, including pillar bedding.

May I suggest you start looking at better ammunition for your Rifle. I recently had another shooter have the same problem grouping several inches at 100 yards and after I sent him these Amous to test he printed 1 inch or better.

Finally shot the CZ this afternoon. Same results, or maybe worse. It shot 10 inches low at 15 yards. I need to try the suppressor on may Savage tomorrow, just to confirm that it still shoots well with the suppressor. Then I'll call CZ.
Yes, I have better quality ammo, but if the rifle shoots the cheep stuff well w/o the suppressor.... I'll try some Eley, SK and Wolf too. That would be an easy solution. Especially if it shoots the Eley SSHP well.

Last edited:
Problem solved.
We tried it on the Savage and found it still shooting low left. My son suggested swapping the "barrel" of the suppressor end for end and reinstalling the internals. Why not? We'll it worked. I'm not sure why, but we are back on targets with and without suppressor. The moral of the story, if you purchase a suppressor from the "local" guy just getting into building suppressors pay close attention when disassembling the unit. Even more so if you get no instructions.

One thing that happened on my 22 suppressor. it got dirty!!

once this happened, it shot horrible groups. Horrible. I think the rifle started shooting better when you switched the internals BECAUSE you inadvertently cleaned a lot of junk out.

I would ONLY shoot plated ammo out of the 22 suppressor or it is going to get too dirty to shoot accurately. and its going to get dirty fast.

Luck,
DT