• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How can I mount an iPhone to my scope?

Tyler Kemp

Print Daddy
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
MO
mkmachining.com
I am looking for something to allow me "through the scope" video while shooting, and have been not so successful thus far.

Does anyone know of such a device? I would like to use it in my videos.

Thanks,
Tyler

Re: How can I mount an iPhone to my scope?

never tried that before...would be interesting to find out how they do that

http://theiscope.com/wordpress/

Never tried it, not sure how well it would stay in place under heavy recoil. I have used digiscope adapters for spotting scopes though.

On their website they have it hooked up to a 50 bmg, you never know might be legit.

interesting option for picture and filming with your scope. not sure about shooting with it as you would have a strange cheekweld/eye relief to make it work. but for attaching to a scope for long range photography would be cool.

thats pretty expencive. If you have to make it, why use an adaptor to 270 dollars? Either buy the one first listed, or buy a iphone protector from dealextreme.com and some plastic pipes, and make it yourself.

I would just video through a spotting scope. No need to worry about recoil moving the camera.

There is an iPhone spotting scope adapter. I looked at them but never got to the bottom of it. Depends on tn eyeiece etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never tried that before...would be interesting to find out how they do that</div></div>

How much do you want to spend to find out? What recorded view do you want of your shooting? What targets and why record them?

The "Elcan Digital Hunter" is a riflescope with a 5 megapixel CCD and a 640x48 color LCD display. It overlays a digitally generated reticle on the live image so it has no parallax. Elevation and Windage are adjusted by the clocking of the CCD. It uses SD memory to store video clips. It has programable drop tables and the user can generate their own reticles.

It works as advertised recording whatever is viewed though the scope with post triggering of stored memory to show events for a few seconds before and after when a shot is fired. Whether that's useful or desirable depends on your application. You get a lot of videos showing the view jumping related to recoil. A video spotting scope will make better quality recordings without the recoil bounce. The (only?) use I've found is diagnosing holds and trigger control of student shooters. An instructor can watch what the shooter sees and record breath control, trigger jerk, followthough, etc.

Seeing a cell phone video screen mounted on the back of a riflescope will require young eyes that can focus at a few inches. It won't work for us old guys without using custom high diopter glasses.

For viewing targets a cell phone camera might be useful if it can be mounted close to a long range target so bullet impacts can be viewed without a spotter. I've used PC cameras and WiFi for that. I wouldn't want to use a cellphone to replace a direct view eyepiece for any normal shooting.

We used the Meopta MeoPix ($59.95) with a sunshade, Butler Creek flip up and a little electrical tape to build this:

i.JPG

http://swfa.com/Meopta-MeoPix-iPhone-iScoping-Adaptor-P53609.aspx

Thanks everyone, think we will be trying the iscope link. The videos on their website seem pretty nice, and the price is also one of the best.

Definitely going to try and work this into the videos whenever I get it in my hands!