• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How close to bottomed out is O.K. for elev. knob?

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
I put a Bushnell 3200 10x on my AR15 with Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts. The combination I came up with gives me a 100 yard zero with only 7 minutes left to go down. Is there any prolem allowing the scope to live like that? I will be shooting out to 1k, so I like having the 93 minutes of adjustment, but don't want to screw up the scope either. ........I guess there is a lifetime warranty.

Re: How close to bottomed out is O.K. for elev. knob?

There should be no problems with the scope, the only thing you will notice is that you have little windage adjustment range at 100 yards. That really should not be an issue, just something to note.

Since it will only take about 34-27 MOAs to get to 1000 yards with your AR-15, I kinda question the need to have 93MOAs above your 100 yard zero. I have shot plenty to 1000yards with a 10X scope that had 80 MOAS total adjustment and never needed a canted rail. It was only when I moved to higher magnification scoopes with reduced adjustment range that I needed the 20MOA rails.

The current scope on my match AR-15 is a fixed 36X Weaver with about 43 MOAs of total ajustment. Adding a 20 MOA rail to my rifle provided me with all the elevation I neeeded to get to 1000 yards in comfort.

Also, if you shoot a lot at 100 yards, having the erector tube bottomed out, so to speak makes you light path go through the upper edge of the objective lens. The clearest, "bestest" spot of a lens is in the middle, not the edge.

I would suggest you look at reducing the offset you created with the offset inserts.

What is your current combination? -.020 front and +.020 back?

Also what ammo are you thinking of using at 1000 yards and what is your barrel twist?

It's not a serious 1,000 yard rig, but since I had the scope ....
I'm using 69SMKs, which are not ideal, but they shoot good. Barrel is a 1/9, so I'm kinda limited. I realize I don't need that much adjustment, but according to JBM I could get out to 1,200 yards as it is set up. I'm using a +.020 in the rear and -.010 in the front. I hadn't thought of it affecting light transmission. I'd prefer a variable, but I'll use this for now.

It does not affect the light transmission, only the image path and most people would not detect any change in clarity. Current day glass is much better than it was before. But if you wear glasses, try looking through them at the top only as opposed to right in the middle.

The 69SMKs will not get to 1000 yards supersonically, but they will be excellent for up to 600 yards. You will have a lot of fun with this setup.

In my experience, if you stay away from the last 5moa of travel scopes track correctly. Down into the last 5moa (up or down) the adjustments become somewhat suspect.

I had a 20x ultra on a McMillan M87 that was about 10 min. from bottom and worked fine. If you have much windage on thwe scope you can run into problems setting one up that close.