• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition How did the shoot go @ Bayou 4-7-13

scissorhands

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Houston, Texas
I couldnt make it out, but I was thinking about it all day. Seems like the it was a little...well very breezy yesterday. How did everyone shoot?

We took a vote to keep the results secret.

To be honest, I have no clue what the results you posted have to do with the 1000 yard LR match held yesterday at Bayou Rifles in Houston; the match that Scissorhands was asking about.

To be honest, I have no clue what the results you posted have to do with the 1000 yard LR match held yesterday at Bayou Rifles in Houston; the match that Scissorhands was asking about.

OHHHHH MANNNN!
My apologies. Thought he was asking about the regional match at Palo this past weekend.
We are on the bayou.
Will edit posts.
mickey

Are you all Houston local? I live in Dallas, and finding any kind of high power match up here is next to impossible. It seems everyone here is super focused on pistol shooting. I'm trying to figure out the logistics without killing the wallet to make it down for some matches this year.

Are there any campsites nearby I could possibly stay at? Obviously they'd have to be cool with me having at least 1 rifle in my car.

Let me be clear here. The wind strength was not the problem. I have shot in lot higher winds than what we had on Sunday. However, this was our famous southern twitchy wind and it is well-known for being unpredictable. The first match was fine and I actually shot a 193-6X, dropping most of my points during the last shots of the string. I even had two other Xs during my sighters. I always take 5 sighters on the first match.

I went to the pits for my 3 pulls and noticed that scores were dropping rapidly when match #2 started. When I got back to the line, the flags were moving around but it did not look that windy and so I took it a little casually coming off a very decent score on the first match. I took my two sighters and noticed the wind correction, fed it to the riflescope and then I elected to stop at two (I am practicing for the Nationals where it's U/2/2,) sighters and my first shot for record was a 6 on the waterline at 3 o'clock. I lost something like 10 points withing the first 3-4 shots. I pulled my spotting scope close to me and started looking for the conditions. My riflescope was focused at 1000 yards and I could detect a faint mirage at the target. I focused my spotting scope at 600 yards and noticed a stronger mirage going the other way. Then as I was watching the near mirage simply flipped around instantly and started going the other way, now matching the far mirage. Then that one flipped. It was unreal and the flags were pointing every which way. So, I paid more attention to the conditions and the scores got better and then I fired a round and my scorer called for a mark. The target went down and came up a miss. I know it was a good shot, coming after a 10, 9, 10. But I elected not to challenge it figuring I had screwed up that match so badly already it made no difference. So I took the miss and continued on. I had a misfire in the string and had to pull the bolt out. This is the second misfire so far in this batch of Tula primers, 2 out of 3000 or so. I ended that string with a 164-2X or some such disaster.

For the third match, I placed my spotting scope really close to me and spent more time looking through it than my riflescope. I knew the conditions were bad and the wind would turn around on a dime and give 9 cents change. I paid the flags scant attention, and focused almost exclusively on the mirages, near and far. I took off all windage and just held off. At one point, I was holding in the 6-ring at 3 o'clock and collected a 10 and the very next shot, I was holding in the 7 ring at 9 o'clock and collected a 9, right next to where the prior shot had hit. I learned so much during that string, I shot quickly and rode the mirage, trusting what I was seeing in the spotting scope. I ended up with a 188-2x.

The scores were impacted thoughout the match, and while people grumbled I think a lot of folks took the opportunity to learn. There were 5s and 6s and 7s and people were happy to escape with 9s and sometimes 8s. I enjoyed it very much, but it was a lot of work.

Last edited:
Are you all Houston local? I live in Dallas, and finding any kind of high power match up here is next to impossible. It seems everyone here is super focused on pistol shooting. I'm trying to figure out the logistics without killing the wallet to make it down for some matches this year.

Are there any campsites nearby I could possibly stay at? Obviously they'd have to be cool with me having at least 1 rifle in my car.

Some of our shooters are from Dallas, San Antonio and Austin. "Houston local" is a very misleading term as that area is larger than most eastern states and central European countries.

I don't know about campsites but this being the free state of Texas, I don't see why there would be a problem with a rifle.