• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you carry a DSLR/Mirrorless camera while hunting or hiking?

SpringThom

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2020
Paso Robles CA
Hello.

I hope this finds everyone in good spirits and hopefully remembering the sacrifices that took place on 9/11.

I wanted to ask how people carry a DSLR or Mirrorless camera while hunting or hiking. I bought this semi-rigid case and planned on keeping it on my hip, or maybe on the side of my bino case ( Alaska Guide Creations, classic with MAX pocket). I seems like it'll be kind of bulky on the bino pack, though I don't mind a heavily loaded chest rig.

Thank you for your answers, I'm sure you guys have some great insight.

Best regards.

With as stellar as cell phone images are these days, if I take a DSLR or mirror less, it’s in a pack. The extra 5 seconds it takes to pull things out typically doesn’t impinge on any such shot I would be taking. If speed is the need, the latest flagship phone is almost always enough.

I keep mine on a strap running through a loop on my backpack strap or on a longer strap slung through the grab handle of my pack. The camera does flop around a lot when carrying that way though. Usually the terrain makes me clip it to the strap.

That being said, I definitely have some rock rash from it getting away from me or me simply forgetting it’s back there.

Reactions: SpringThom
Depends on the purpose. If mostly for once set up, in a bag (currently, a Canadian Forces PVS-7 case, but plenty at camera stores) stuffed in the pack. If it's largely a photo excursion, simply slung across a shoulder, riding under my left arm.

SKY-1A sacrificial filter. Once when I broke that and went to a camera store out of town to get a replacement, as we're checking out the counter person puts a lenscap (they get from the free lenscap box under the counter I guess) on it. I take it off, lay it on the counter, continue with the next step of the transaction. They put it on, I take it off (slowly, over time). They put it on, and I take it off, and throw it at the visible trash can they have behind the counter.

I Do Not Want A Lenscap. Dammit.

Extra lenses get a padded (fabric, zippered) storage tube. I often carry a night vision relay lens, use the long one, but shorter tubes for other lenses as well. I... cannot for the life of me figure out who made it, too lazy to open up the storage cases now and look for labels, but again: lots of options for these at camera stores.

ETA: Also...
  • Rear LCD protector.
  • I have never liked the top display protectors, but you may. I have, OTOH, replaced glass a couple times. It can be done pretty easily if you don't also break the display!
  • Upgraded carry strap. I like the Op-Tech straps. Yes, sometimes even use the QD bits to good effect such as when I wear a pack or rifle, can release the camera and un-thread if it I accidentally got it tangled or stuff on top of it.
  • Spare card box. Spare batteries. Get the covers for the batteries to keep them from shorting. Label (silver sharpie) cards and batteries to tell which you have used, etc.

Last edited:
+1 for clipped onto the shoulder strap.

My wife and I backpack a fair amount and that was the 4th setup of various straps/harnesses/attachments she tried and loves it.

Haven’t done any serious backpacking since I got my new to me Nikon D-700 and 18-300 lense, but have done a lot of Day Hikes with my Boy Scout troop along with a fair bit of hunting.

For G.P. It rides in a LowePro bag with accessories, but will be riding a regular strap, Bino Buddy or an older x-harness keep it out but stable while hiking. BTW, ALL of my gear shows signs (scars) of having been used in the Real World.

Last edited:

Another vote for this. I did the Northville-Lake Placid trail(130+ miles) in the Adirondacks with this setup. Carried my Olympus mirrorless about 80% of the time of this (no weather proofing so it gets put away when wet). Really liked the setup and it worked great. I wouldn't want to take a non-mirrorless camera though, or anything much bigger than the A7, OMD, etc size of mirrorless cameras.

While I do agree that phones these days are good, having a real camera right on your shoulder ready to go was worth it. When hiking with a partner, I'm less likely to stop him, get my shit out and take a photo. When its on my shoulder, I'd just take it off, stop and snap a few pics, then catch up. I didn't have to slow down our pace or anything, and ended up with far more photos. Since I"m not professional, taking as many photos as possible was the key to getting a few really good ones.

We also stopped and took a few photos as well, so there was still time for that.

Attachments

• P9300185.JPG
    P9300185.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 45
  • PA010255.JPG
    PA010255.JPG
    677.6 KB · Views: 47
  • PA030336.JPG
    PA030336.JPG
    609 KB · Views: 45
The following suggestions are for use when not backpacking. That camera clip system above looks interesting for that.

The stuff below is more for day hiking or using with a pack that doesn’t have a waist belt. It’s also geared for DSLR-sized bulkier loads.

Take a look at Think Tank and Kinesis Gear’s waist systems. Think Tank also has a bunch of ingenious small and larger camera backpacks, including one that rotates 360° (their Mindshift brand, I think). And off the topic, their rollers rock.

Haven’t used the 360° pack, but have used a TT long lens backpack and I own a heavily used Kinesis belt system. I think Kinesis has the best belts and is made in the USA (really like their stuff), but TT has a very nice attachment method and has many ingenious touches, like lens/camera pouches that can expand by dropping the bottom down.

Kinesis used to use a fumbly attachment method but now uses strong Velcro like TT. However, I believe TT has a patent on their slide or lock combo attachment method. But even their heavy duty belt is a little wimpy (they inexplicably dropped their actual heavy duty belt some time ago…you might find it used).

There is some interoperability between the brands, but I can’t help you there.

Lowepro also used to have a waist system, not sure of its status now.

If you want to go all journalist-ly, Newswear has some interesting carry methods.

Edit: TT and Lowepro used to make all-in-one / non-modular waist packs too. Still might produce them. And Mountainsmith makes really nice waist packs as well, and did make a camera specific one.

Last edited:
Another vote for this. I did the Northville-Lake Placid trail(130+ miles) in the Adirondacks with this setup. Carried my Olympus mirrorless about 80% of the time of this (no weather proofing so it gets put away when wet). Really liked the setup and it worked great. I wouldn't want to take a non-mirrorless camera though, or anything much bigger than the A7, OMD, etc size of mirrorless cameras.

While I do agree that phones these days are good, having a real camera right on your shoulder ready to go was worth it. When hiking with a partner, I'm less likely to stop him, get my shit out and take a photo. When its on my shoulder, I'd just take it off, stop and snap a few pics, then catch up. I didn't have to slow down our pace or anything, and ended up with far more photos. Since I"m not professional, taking as many photos as possible was the key to getting a few really good ones.

We also stopped and took a few photos as well, so there was still time for that.
Beautiful pictures! Thank you.

Reactions: Gustav7

Just ordered one of these last night. I didn't know that I even needed it until now, but I'm pretty geeked about trying it on my next outing.

Just ordered one of these last night. I didn't know that I even needed it until now, but I'm pretty geeked about trying it on my next outing.

Nice, I think you'll like it. I do recommend packing whatever pack you plan on using it with, fully adjust it to your self like you're going to be walking, clip in your camera, and THEN move the mount to where it works the best. I had to adjust mine on the trail a few times until I found a sweet spot, because I thought it would go well in one spot and once I got going that changed.

Reactions: E. Bryant
In college back when I bothered with a dslr I took a month long backpacking geomorphology course and I gave up fancy things and submitted myself to the fact that it was gonna get messed up paint and just threw it in the hiking pack with everything else. It got scrapped up and scratched in there as much as on the rocks but it still works fine and I didn’t have to carry any extra shit or have it dangling on a strap all day every day.

I have a K-3II and assorted lenses but seldom take it out in the wild unless specifically as a photo trip.
I find a much smaller superzoom easier to carry and never have to think, darn, wish I had brought that other lens.
My current pick that goes everywhere is a FZ80 (or an older FZ70). Close bug pics, to long range birding. Image quality not up to the DSLR, but much faster to deploy. I could post pic links but just Google "Panasonic FZ80.
OK, maybe one pic :)

I have a K-3II and assorted lenses but seldom take it out in the wild unless specifically as a photo trip.
I find a much smaller superzoom easier to carry and never have to think, darn, wish I had brought that other lens.
My current pick that goes everywhere is a FZ80 (or an older FZ70). Close bug pics, to long range birding. Image quality not up to the DSLR, but much faster to deploy. I could post pic links but just Google "Panasonic FZ80.
OK, maybe one pic :)

Thank you. My camera isn't very big. Its the Canon M6 Mark ii, and my main lens is a Sigma 50mm 1.4. I do plan on getting a bigger zoom at some point.

I'm probably over-complicating it..

Reactions: Rocketvapor
The Superzoom/Bridge cameras won't match the image quality of your Canon (or my K3ii).
It's just so dang handy. Goes every range trip to record targets @ 100yds,
I have 5 Pentax K-r cameras I bought as broken for $5 to $20 each.
One won't flash, one won't record sound, 2 seem to work fine, and one does nothing :)
I have years and years of Pentax lenses.
I can set them up to snap time lapse. Camera goes to sleep, wakes up, etc.

Maybe this link will work to my Flickr.

I use the FZ70-80 to snap quick pics of gun parts to help folks troubleshoot (Mostly on the SKS forum).
Here's one test video from my Youtube that shows zoom range.
It would take a wheel barrow to carry enough lenses to do this with DSLR :)

Thank you. My camera isn't very big. Its the Canon M6 Mark ii, and my main lens is a Sigma 50mm 1.4. I do plan on getting a bigger zoom at some point.

I'm probably over-complicating it..

I run micro 4/3's with the Olympus so I'm not sure I could give you lens recommendations, but with my camera, only need two lenses to make 95% of all shots, at least the shots I wanna take. Theres two setups I'll run depending on what I wanna do:

Olympus 12-40mm/f2.8 PRO lens (24-80mm in full sensor, ~16-53mm in APS-C)
This lens pretty much could do it all, as it does decent macro and has good clarity through the whole range of zoom.

2nd lens choice:
Oly 60mm/f2.8 Macro (insanely good lens for the money)(80mm in APS-C)
Oly 50-140mm/f4.0 stock lens.(~66-186mm in APS-C) No its not a PRO lens, but I'm not a pro wildlife photographer and if you're outside on the trail, it can take some amazing shots.

I only ever carry two lenses on hikes like this. It's all I need and I can't imagine needing more UNLESS I was doing this professionally. My photos are for fun and for memories, so take that for what its worth.

I use a DA* 16-50 f/2.8 SDM that probably compares (close) to the 12-40,
and a DA* 50-135 f/2.8 SDM.
Waiting on the mail for a DA* 60-250 f/4.
Ultrasonic on the K-3ii, screw drive on the K-R.
All kind of heavy though.
Not a pro either. Just like taking pictures and shooting guns :)
Got this used Pentax 150-300 f/5.6 AF on a 645 but manual focus on the K-R with an adapter (I think the $20 one) for a steal.
150-300-f5.6.jpg

big and heavy but less risky than carrying the more costly stuff.

Last edited:
I use a DA* 16-50 f/2.8 SDM that probably compares (close) to the 12-40,
and a DA* 50-135 f/2.8 SDM.
Waiting on the mail for a DA* 60-250 f/4.
Ultrasonic on the K-3ii, screw drive on the K-R.
All kind of heavy though.
Not a pro either. Just like taking pictures and shooting guns :)
Got this used Pentax 150-300 f/5.6 AF on a 645 but manual focus on the K-R with an adapter (I think the $20 one) for a steal.
View attachment 7955573

big and heavy but less risky than carrying the more costly stuff.

That things a monster lol, but I'm sure that lens is legit. I finally found the photo I was looking for. I'm pretty sure the lens I had on the camera at the time was a 12 f/2.0 that was exceptional at night shots, but it was cool for landscape shots too. Just shows you how small the whole set up is.

NPT Hike.jpg

Nice and compact. My FZ80 isn't much bigger.
Here's one of my educational videos I made for someone on the SKS forum.
(Camera hand held by my wife and Youtube stabilized :) )

Inb4 y’all tell me I’m being too picky, i want to continue off this thread and see if you guys have any suggestions! Going on a multi-country trip and needing a “personal item” sized pack that can fit under the seat in front of me. Being prior infantry I can appreciate the modularity of having an assault pack or similar all decked out in molle webbing, but I’m not walking around with a freakin 5.11 tactical bag or GoRuck brick on my back just to stick out like a sore tacticool thumb.

Wanting a hiking pack (Osprey, Gregory, Deuter, Mammut, etc) that’s lightweight and has the airflow separation between the back and the pack itself. I’ll be carrying some camera equipment with me so some internal molle would be extremely beneficial, I’d like to be able to mount the camera and extra lens with pouches at the top of the inside of the bag and keep the other essentials at the bottom or in storage compartments. I hate the fact that most guys get a hiking pack and a massive camera cube, then you’re left with little to not storage for anything else unless you’re carrying a 50/60L bag. I know i can get a good hiking pack and sew on small laser cut molle panels on the outside for some elastic fasteners or whatever have you, but don’t need any massive pouches. Best thing I’ve come across so far is the Tasmanian Tiger Assault Pack 30, only concern is it may be a hair too big to fit under the seat in front of me even if i find a way to compress it down. Any other suggestions than that?

My thoughts so far are lets just say an Osprey pack, Grey Man Tactical molle panel insert, and sew on some VertX molle panels on the outside for smaller attachments and figure out a way to make sure the stitches are somewhat waterproofed. I’d just like to have more storage than one massive main compartment and nowhere else to keep things separated. I told y’all i was being picky but I can always fashion something together with some tips and tricks from you guys.

Thanks in advance. I’ll attach a few links for the things I’ve looked at and what I’m trying to accomplish.

Photographer here, for smaller 4/3rds and my dslr's I'd keep them in my pack, if I wanted them handy I'd carry them in my Tenba chest rig that I used for skiing photos. Works great and I can carry a full size DSLR and a 70-200 in it. I'm almost always going to have faster lenses and I've been carrying a couple bodies and a few lenses everyday for the past 25 years. I'm used to the weight and I can't sacrifice the quality.