• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you carry your long range rifle?

Evil_Edie

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
I'm looking for some insight on how some of you might carry your long range precision rifles for a long trek, and what equipment you use to facilitate that carry. If you care to share some pics that would be great. Mainly i'm looking to find a way to carry my rifle while wearing a ruck sack, hands free, and the rifle is decently quickly accessible. Which fancy pack attachment do you use if any?

Reactions: SigeliteSPR
is something I owned and used more than a few times or something awful like it , but not for my mdt at 35 to 40 lbs there is little chance without removing all the weights and the 26'' barrel on the gun that is 54'' in total length I would think of carrying it around it is just to awkward and unwieldy at least to me it is . Hunting rifles at 9 lbs or so we have done before at ,14 lbs even my rpr is or was not that bad just not the weighted versions . maybe in or on one of these I would
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200803838_200803838?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Lawn + Garden > Wagons + Yard Carts&utm_campaign=Northern Tool and Equipment&utm_content=49658&&ds_e_ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOcAvloSirw8NT96pprVG6-tp2J2RHeYCAY_iuOZIEalwAlQ_F0E1o8aAlJuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
good luck on what ever bag or what ever you use . would be my preferred method
1607125385993.png

Last edited:
For shorter distances, I usually carry my precision rifle by the handle (the scope). For longer distances I throw it the the truck.

But seriously lots of threads on this, but you can start by looking into:
Vorn
Mystery Ranch
Kuiu
Eberlestock

is something I owned and used more than a few times or something awful like it , but not for my mdt at 35 to 40 lbs there is little chance without removing all the weights and the 26'' barrel on the gun that is 54'' in total length I would think of carrying it around it is just to awkward and unwieldy at least to me it is . Hunting rifles at 9 lbs or so we have done before at ,14 lbs even my rpr is or was not that bad just not the weighted versions . maybe in or on one of these I would
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200803838_200803838?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Lawn + Garden > Wagons + Yard Carts&utm_campaign=Northern Tool and Equipment&utm_content=49658&&ds_e_ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOcAvloSirw8NT96pprVG6-tp2J2RHeYCAY_iuOZIEalwAlQ_F0E1o8aAlJuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
good luck on what ever bag or what ever you use .
Your rifle weighs between 35 and 40 pounds?

Reactions: SilentStalkr
OP look at the Eberlestock offerings. Excellent products.

if its heavy and you plan on carrying it a long way, keep it toward the middle of the pack

putting 20 pounds one side of your pack gets uncomfortable pretty quick

whatever system you use:
keep it tight
try to keep the tallest part at or below your head height wise

nothing harder than walking through some denser areas and having the flag pole catch on every branch

👆
This pic gives me anxiety lol. I feel bad for the scope 🤣
Probably would work on a pencil barreled ultra light, but definitely not on any of my bolt guns.

Sling it across your front, patrol carry style

Eberlestock here (which depends on the capacity need), or a Pelican case if going by vehicle (truck, boat, quad, etc.). Some do go in a drag bag with shoulder straps, but that's only if someone else is carrying all the other range toys I normally carry in the backpack, or if I'm feeling froggy (its a joke, people).

The only time I carry it by sling, is if I'm hunting... but here in the NE, we don't hunt with precision rifles trekking... in fact, the only real precision rifle hunting we do is predator, and in that case, you're stationary, so the backpack is the best tool to get the rifle/gear in/out of the hunt site.

Reactions: SigeliteSPR
👆
This pic gives me anxiety lol. I feel bad for the scope 🤣
Probably would work on a pencil barreled ultra light, but definitely not on any of my bolt guns.
If this makes you cringe, don't EVER go to a PRS event. I'd wager that ALL rifles eventually get picked up and lugged around by their scopes- at least over short distance. Though, most don't have that fancy handle. Just grab them by the scope and move...

Or a baby stroller and a wagon for a 3 hr match...

Make sure to sign your wife up too so she can drag the wagon. Ask me how I know. 🤠

After watching some biathlon comps on cable last night, I'm liking the biathlon sling for long distance carry.

olympics-biathlon.jpg

They donned and doffed their rifle so easily.

Last edited:
The TAB Biathlon sling works well with heavy rifles if you also don’t have to carry a heavy ruck. It is comfortable with heavy rifles, holds it close, and can be used as a shooting sling as well. I used it for the Rifles Only high angle class years ago and it did quite well....including climbing vertical rock faces, etc. I’ll see if I can did up pics.

However, while you can put a small pack on over/with it, it won’t work that way for much over a very light day pack. For cases where I need to ruck gear as well, I use one of several different ones from Eberlestock. They are well made (same company that made my Mountainsmith mountaineering backpack that I a used for over a decade) and hold both rifle and gear well.
Doc

Depends on what your application is for. If it’s for a PRS style match then there’s a dozen different ways you can do it. Put it in a pack, sling, one of those baby strollers for jogging that all the Alpha OAF dudes are doing.

if it’s for hunting then you can look at one of the mystery ranch riffle attachments that carry it on your side of the pack.
I have the Eberlestock G4 Operator with the scabbard and there’s also the Gunsinger pack by them that a lot of guys use. However if you run a longer barrel rifle with a suppressor (like me) then it’s a pain in the ass as it sticks up really high.

Reactions: acudaowner
If this makes you cringe, don't EVER go to a PRS event. I'd wager that ALL rifles eventually get picked up and lugged around by their scopes- at least over short distance. Though, most don't have that fancy handle. Just grab them by the scope and move...

Yep! Almost every gun I saw at the last match I went to was picked up by the scope from the ground. Cringed every time.

The TAB Biathlon sling works well with heavy rifles if you also don’t have to carry a heavy ruck. It is comfortable with heavy rifles, holds it close, and can be used as a shooting sling as well. I used it for the Rifles Only high angle class years ago and it did quite well....including climbing vertical rock faces, etc. I’ll see if I can did up pics.

However, while you can put a small pack on over/with it, it won’t work that way for much over a very light day pack.
Doc
Been thinking of getting one of those to use with small pack with just kill-bag and some snacks/bottle of water, when I am hunting close to the truck....

Last edited:
Hi,

Question....

Why do you guys "cringe" when you see someone pick their rifle up by the scope?

You all have seen the testing requirements that .mil does on scopes during a solicitation test phase?

Sincerely,
Theis
Fudds gonna Fudd...

Another vote for the kifaru gun bearer setup. Use it elk hunting.

Reactions: Boman
vtac sling, but to be honest, i have rarely actually had to carry it far so i cannot say if it was fine for a 15 mile tote.

I despise Eberlestock packs for a big heavy rifle. The packs themselves are too heavy and just seem cheap. Anything other than a very trim small scope hunting rifle is just awkward as hell to get in/out and carry on your back. If I skip patrol style and put it on a pack, I much prefer the rifle strapped to the exterior. I’m using a Kifaru Shape Charge. Folding stock rifle goes on the front under a beaver tail/stick-it thing with barrel pointing up. The Shape Charge is a perfect day pack.

Slumberjack has a good line of packs for carrying guns and hunting. I used a Deadfall 65 for training and competing in the Mammoth Sniper Challenge this year and it worked great. Very comfortable and gun is easy to get in and out. Price is good too.

For PRS matches I normally wear an Eberlystock backpack, and carry the rifle in my hands. I use the rifle carrier on the pack for my tripod and binos or spotter. If its farther between stages I may sling the rifle across my chest, but the majority of the time I carry it in my hands or over a shoulder like a fudd.

Reactions: kickbass10
Hi,

TAB Biathlon sling if you want to be minimalistic.
Eberlestock if you need a couple days worth of stuff.

Sincerely,
Theis
With the Eberlestock is there any reason to be concerned carrying the rifle in the pack muzzle down? It’s made me a bit uneasy for some reason, but can’t put my finger on why exactly it would be an issue.