• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you find distances for long range shots in night?

Hi,
I just bought a new clip on night vision device (eotech) for my AI chambered in 338 lapua.

My aim is to take 1000+ yard shorts in the night. I believe the clip on night vision will be able to identify targets at extended ranges with correct IR illuminator. However one question I have not found an answer to, is how to find distance to targets in the night? Is my only option to use inbuilt reticle in the scope or are there smarter/betters devices/solutions? I do have a laser range finder, but not sure if that can work in the night.

thanks
harjeet
My Leica 1200 works at night. I just went outside and tried it on known distance targets.

Reactions: harry_x1
Getting hits at night at 1000 yards plus is truly impressive. And requires pretty specialized equipment.

Have noticed that several companies who make IR night vision and/or thermal scopes have recently added LRF modules to their products. Seems to be a trend.

If you are in the ‘budget-constrained-kids-at-college’ category like me, and all you want to do is shoot hungry hogs and uneducated coyotes at night, then this cheap-as-dirt solution might be for you, while you save your pennies for a Wilcox.

This low cost China device works fairly reliably out to 400 yards by day and 500 by night - sometimes even 600 under ideal conditions. I have mounted it on a fairly low cost Sightmark Wraith night scope, which is capable out to (at most) 200 yards, so they are a good match. Got it for $130 or so. Prices seem to have gone up.

Easy to line up the LRF with the scope reticle with the two adjustment screws: At night you can see the IR laser strobing in the night vision scope. A good solution for hog hunting at night. Not as good as a high res thermal, but workable.

AA02EE04-2178-48D4-B4FE-242A9CC59D22.jpeg

Attachments

• 685519AF-B8B9-46FB-9EDE-F7241DD79CFE.png
    685519AF-B8B9-46FB-9EDE-F7241DD79CFE.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Do you keep a log book on that 24LRs round count? If not, please entertain it in the name of science 👍
I will open a google sheet and give you access to the DOPE. Hope that works.

Also, for this shot, I had no IR illuminator. I am looking to get hold of a PEQ 15 (100 mw), but they are difficult to come by. Do you have experience shooting long distance using an IR illuminator? Is there something that works at ranges past 1000 yard?...thanks for your assistance.

This might need a separate thread, but curious if anyone has some experience on this...how does one read the wind in night? In day time I recently learnt how to use mirage to understand wind...does the same technique work in night? I will be using a night vision clip on and also have a thermal monocular for use...thanks for the your inputs !

This might need a separate thread, but curious if anyone has some experience on this...how does one read the wind in night? In day time I recently learnt how to use mirage to understand wind...does the same technique work in night? I will be using a night vision clip on and also have a thermal monocular for use...thanks for the your inputs !

Some ballistic calculators can pull wind from local weather stations.
Kestrel will tell you the wind where you are.

There are some tools to measure downrange wind that work in all lighting conditions, but they are not easily available to civilians.

Aside from the above, prayer is probably your best bet.

ILya

Provided you had cell service an app like Windy, Ventusky or UAV Forecast can give winds down to 10 meters above ground level along with direction. Obviously terrain features are going to alter that, but at least it can give a real starting number to adjust from.

This thread….you’ve attained no points and we are all dumber for having read it. May god have mercy on your soul.

• Haha
Some ballistic calculators can pull wind from local weather stations.
Kestrel will tell you the wind where you are.

There are some tools to measure downrange wind that work in all lighting conditions, but they are not easily available to civilians.

Aside from the above, prayer is probably your best bet.

ILya
any idea what those tools are which can measure wind downrange for military?

Reactions: harry_x1 and 6.5SH
We just used our eye to judge wind. Some will use a kestrel but that doesn't give downrange wind.
When you say used your eye..can you elaborate a bit more...my question is specific about judging wind in dark/night...are you using night vision along with some kind of a optic to look far and then try to judge mirage? or something else....thanks