• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How does ceracote go protecting rust?

killcan

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2010
Australia
How does ceracote go protecting rust? I have a remington 700 sps tactical in 308 and took it out the other day in the rain looking for pigs. Got home oiled it rubbed it down and took it out a few days later and it was heavily rusted thankfully no pitting. does anyone have any any experience in rust prevention measures like ceracote or duracote. thanks for any help given.

Re: How does ceracote go protecting rust?

Same way paint on your car protects against rust.

It’s a coating on top of the metal as opposed to a chemical reaction with the metal such as bluing or Parkerizing.

I like aluma hydeII from brownells. If you call their tech support line they will tell you the best way to apply it. Usually just get the part to be covered and the aluma hyde a little warm, spray the part down with a degreaser like gun scrubber , wait till it dries off then spray it again, after that dries give it a nice light even coat. Just wear some kind of mask/good ventilation. I have it on one rifle for 7 or so years , its pretty strong stuff (probably like duracoat but in a spray can)

Cerakote is a great coating. I do a lot of seaduck hunting and waterfowling in brackish and salt marshes. I have dunked my 10 gauge in saltwater, thrown it in a floating gun case, pulled it out 8 hours later to wipe mud and blood off with a damp cloth, and thrown it in the safe.

It was a very wise investment.

Previous post.
Before:
08-27-09009.jpg

After:
Nov09HuntingHomage036.jpg

Nov09HuntingHomage157.jpg

Nov09HuntingHomage143.jpg

Duracoat or Cerakote will give you a great rust proof finish. As long as you prep the metal correctly and apply it correctly.

I prefer cera kote. I use it on my patrol shotgun. It has held up well even when the shotgun has been abused and the coating was knocked off while making entry into a building. The area where the cera kote was knocked off has not rusted yet and that was about 2.5 years ago. It has been out in the rain and sweat ever since with no oil or other rust preventative. I live in a coastal area as well. I love cera kote and all my weapons get it applied to them. I do it myself and like said above preparation is the key to success!

thanks so much for all the advice. Triggernometry awsome example given i i have been quoted $300AU. is that a decent price. im in central queensland australia so it gets a bit wet and humid out here.

killcan I'm about to get my first rifle cerrakoted (it's not my FIRST rifle!).

I have heard lots very good reports of the agent in Brisbane. Will be sending my rifle off when I get back there next week. Cheers, Chris