• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Far Can I Shoot With This Setup?

I have way more than 3K posts, and the Hide isn't the only thing I do on the computer. What is your Grindr name, I will have @akmike47 hit you up later when he is done at the truck stop.

BTW: Why would someone like you, that knows nothing about guns, buy a Barrett M99 with a Nightforce ATACR scope, then post dumbass questions on a shooting forum? If you really own the rifle how about posting a picture of it. Don't just copy and paste a picture from the internet, include a card with your user ID in the photo.

You then go on to berate a mod who has done more for this country than the last four generations of your family.

Is this you?

c1d.jpg
Nope. That the guy that’s gonna kill him by assfixiation

Yeah okay bro. Fuck off. So maybe I don’t know much about long range. But just so you know when you kick motherfuckers doors down at 2am at night from air assaults and catch or kill hvts, and also helped Leo’s out with there gear to keep them safe on the streets, and also sold guns for awhile, and actually did something useful in your life instead posting on a fucking forum I’d have more respect towards you. But in actuality I can give too shits about your bro. Just my 2 cents. You mean nothing to me. Along with these other clowns. So before you and your fag boys try and belittle people at least know that while you sit on your keyboard warrior chair all day think about what you’ve actually done with your pathetic life. So I’ll end with this. I know wtf I did with my life. What have you done? Most you fag boys talking shit obviously have done nothing either. 🤦‍♂️ pretty sad. Fuck this place. ✌️
This is definitely the bullshit that you hear from some dude with a 1911 in his waistband at the LGS.
Paul Blart has a part time gig at the LGS.

You know, I kept coming back to this thread for a look, because I was hoping it would be the pile of shit that turned into a pot of gold.

See? I know how to think false positive when experience shows over and over that once someone is shit, they tend to remain shit.

Shit, this fuckin' shit is shitty shit.

However, it did get me out into the city park to try to figure out how far I can shoot my BB gun at a 16" target. Always good to meet the new deputy in town.

Yeah okay bro. Fuck off. So maybe I don’t know much about long range. But just so you know when you kick motherfuckers doors down at 2am at night from air assaults and catch or kill hvts, and also helped Leo’s out with there gear to keep them safe on the streets, and also sold guns for awhile, and actually did something useful in your life instead posting on a fucking forum I’d have more respect towards you. But in actuality I can give too shits about your bro. Just my 2 cents. You mean nothing to me. Along with these other clowns. So before you and your fag boys try and belittle people at least know that while you sit on your keyboard warrior chair all day think about what you’ve actually done with your pathetic life. So I’ll end with this. I know wtf I did with my life. What have you done? Most you fag boys talking shit obviously have done nothing either. 🤦‍♂️ pretty sad. Fuck this place. ✌️
Hah....my pog's have more trigger time than you.

Reactions: Fig
Time to go about my day and not be a kook that trolls posts and gets no pussy. Lol. Time to move on with my life. If anybody contributed which only one did thanks. The rest of you can fuck off and have a great day.

Dont blame you... there is mounds of advice one could give without all the details. here are a couple things to consider regarding your original question:

Need to refine the question a bit.

1. If you are interested in how far a 50BMG can conceptually shoot accurately in that setup... I cant answer that but what i can tell you is that my Hornady Match ammo says their bullets are capable of going 3 miles. Now that does not mean to say it is accurate at 3 miles, just how far the bullet will travel.

2. If you are asking how far you can shoot accurately with your existing setup... the answer is - it depends. consider this... how much elevation is your scope capable of? When I zero my scopes, i move my elevation all the way to be bottom to where it cannot physically move any further. Then, while zeroing, bring my elevation up to where zero is BUT when doing that, count how many MOA you are adjusting your elevation to get Zero. Lets say that if you scope has 60MOA of travel but you raise your elevation 25MOA to get to zero, that means you have 60-25MOA left of elevation (35MOA). Once you get your zero, get you muzzle velocity as well. Once you have your muzzle velocity, go to JBMballistics.com and plug in all the specs... but when doing so, make sure that you select a max range of a mile (1760) or more and then hit calculate. When reviewing the output from JBM, observe the MOA/Drop column until you find a value that equals your available elevation adjustment left in your scope (in this scenario it is 35MOA). Then look at the corresponding range data and VOOALA... you have an approximate distance you can shoot that system today without making any changes. If you have 10MOA in your reticle, then look for the drop of 45 instead of 35 (35+10) and again, look at the corresponding range data.

Can you shoot further than that, well sure. But to do so, you will need additional equipment to give you more elevation. Look into the eratec mounts that can give you an additional 70MOA.

Hope you find this helpful.

Dont blame you... there is mounds of advice one could give without all the details. here are a couple things to consider regarding your original question:

Need to refine the question a bit.

1. If you are interested in how far a 50BMG can conceptually shoot accurately in that setup... I cant answer that but what i can tell you is that my Hornady Match ammo says their bullets are capable of going 3 miles. Now that does not mean to say it is accurate at 3 miles, just how far the bullet will travel.

2. If you are asking how far you can shoot accurately with your existing setup... the answer is - it depends. consider this... how much elevation is your scope capable of? When I zero my scopes, i move my elevation all the way to be bottom to where it cannot physically move any further. Then, while zeroing, bring my elevation up to where zero is BUT when doing that, count how many MOA you are adjusting your elevation to get Zero. Lets say that if you scope has 60MOA of travel but you raise your elevation 25MOA to get to zero, that means you have 60-25MOA left of elevation (35MOA). Once you get your zero, get you muzzle velocity as well. Once you have your muzzle velocity, go to JBMballistics.com and plug in all the specs... but when doing so, make sure that you select a max range of a mile (1760) or more and then hit calculate. When reviewing the output from JBM, observe the MOA/Drop column until you find a value that equals your available elevation adjustment left in your scope (in this scenario it is 35MOA). Then look at the corresponding range data and VOOALA... you have an approximate distance you can shoot that system today without making any changes. If you have 10MOA in your reticle, then look for the drop of 45 instead of 35 (35+10) and again, look at the corresponding range data.

Can you shoot further than that, well sure. But to do so, you will need additional equipment to give you more elevation. Look into the eratec mounts that can give you an additional 70MOA.

Hope you find this helpful.
Lots of typing to someone who won’t be needing it any longer around here 🤪

Reactions: Doc68 and Yasherka
Well that was an entertaining read while I ate lunch...

This thread reeks of Glowies.

How does one "buy" such a setup and not know anything about ballistics of cartridge? The question is very vague without knowing everything else about the setup.
Actually, I bought an M82-1 and didnt know squat other than it was big, bad, and tore shit up. It was a learning curve.LOL.

Actually, I bought an M82-1 and didnt know squat other than it was big, bad, and tore shit up. It was a learning curve.LOL.

I did something similar. I had an opportunity to buy a new Bushmaster BA50 with 30" barrel. I didnt have any idea what i would do with it or what it was capable of but figured that I would figure that out along the way. I did buy it and then proceeded to putting together everything i needed for reloading.

It has been lots of fun to shoot and a great learning experience. I can consistently get .5 MOA at 100yds but it is capable of better. I have shared the experience with people who have never been close to a system like that and gave them some memories they will never forget.

However, i think i have come to the realization that I need something different for my long range goals. I am at an age where i cant sustain that recoil for long and need something a bit easier on the body. Consequently, I am probably going to sell it.

Reactions: Maggot
I did something similar. I had an opportunity to buy a new Bushmaster BA50 with 30" barrel. I didnt have any idea what i would do with it or what it was capable of but figured that I would figure that out along the way. I did buy it and then proceeded to putting together everything i needed for reloading.

It has been lots of fun to shoot and a great learning experience. I can consistently get .5 MOA at 100yds but it is capable of better. I have shared the experience with people who have never been close to a system like that and gave them some memories they will never forget.

However, i think i have come to the realization that I need something different for my long range goals. I am at an age where i cant sustain that recoil for long and need something a bit easier on the body. Consequently, I am probably going to sell it.
THats why I sold mine, and a lot of ranges dont allow them because they do tear stuff up. I dodnt think the Barrett was a .5 MOA but the 5 round mag was fun.

A newer shooter didn't give enough detail so it ruffled a bunch of feathers.
In my earlier post I gave the maximum distance but in reading his post again the guys at Nightforce gave him the correct answer.
His scope has around 100 moa and his base combination has around 37 moa so he has around 87 moa of up using a 100 yard zero and a bc of 1.05 at 2700 fps.
Depending on altitude and various other factors he is good to 2200 yards.

• Haha
Reactions: Tokay444
I see. That explains some of it but not all of it. OP doubling down on juvenile responses is comical at best, exhausting at worst.

My takeaway in all this is, posts seeking help/information shouldn't read like ransom notes.