• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How far could you hit a 19”W x 24”H target with 100% certainty?

Yup. I still get flak because I insist on one unsupported positional stage per match.

I missed your post yesterday.

They'd think I was Hitler.
Standing unsupported was a regular visitor at the CVRPC 22 TSC matches when I was helping Steve run the match. I think he still throws it in from time to time.
It true, it was a hat tip to our Metallic Silhouette roots, but it has its place, and it WILL make you a better shooter.

600yds.

-Given the size of the plate I can estimate range
-Given wind values I would hold left center or left edge.

Thats a big plate so realistically could probably do further but thats what I frequeny practice out to so I know my dope.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
The 100% thing throws a wrench in it and shortens the distance quite a bit... I am pretty good at judging distance- and when shooting always take a few minutes to study and make a call before using the rangefinder (same with wind before the meter comes out). Uneven ground, hills and draws makes it more difficult for me to guess distance. We all like to overestimate our skills- but I did miss a coyote a while back at just over 300.... so it's probably much shorter than we think.

The 100% thing throws a wrench in it and shortens the distance quite a bit... I am pretty good at judging distance- and when shooting always take a few minutes to study and make a call before using the rangefinder (same with wind before the meter comes out). Uneven ground, hills and draws makes it more difficult for me to guess distance. We all like to overestimate our skills- but I did miss a coyote a while back at just over 300.... so it's probably much shorter than we think.
I would agree but considering a 19x24 is a big ass plate. Its pretty much a 3 moa x 4 moa target at 600yds. 5-10 crosswind is going to push you around 4-8" at 600yds. any further and your looking at close to 1/2 plate of wind. Theres a enough margin for error it buys some extra distance.

Now If he said how far out do you feel 100% confident hitting even a 2moa plate that changes things. I'd probably cut that number in half.

How about your confidence in ranging that plate past 600? Calculations posted earlier show the effect of measurement error, not having a range finder. If you are one of those that do this a lot and have that 100% confidence at 700 and beyond, then good on you.

Ducks at night with a rifle. Discharging a firearm on a public body of water into a residential area (Mt Bonnel), shooting protected wildlife (buzzard). It seems there is very little below some of our esteemed members.

How about your confidence in ranging that plate past 600? Calculations posted earlier show the effect of measurement error, not having a range finder. If you are one of those that do this a lot and have that 100% confidence at 700 and beyond, then good on you.
lol, its a sliding scale. as margin of error increases and compounds and target size decreases so does confidence of making first round impacts.

It depends. I have check my reticle ranging ability with an estimate of target size, which is even harder and I was only about 13 yards over. The rangefinder showed 225 yards and I had estimated 238 yards. I could probably reticle range to 300 or 400 yards. I know I can hit just about dead center of that target at 300 yards.

What was not mentioned here was zeroing at MPBR. My round gives me a nominal zero of 256 yards with 4 inches up and down and max range at just shy of 300 yards. So, I could zero for MPBR and know I will hit in that size of a target out to 300 yards with no adjustment, no elevation hold over, slightly into the wind for a hold equivalent to .25 MOA if the wind is above 15 mph full value at 3 or 9 o'clock.

Kind of a silly discussion at 100% probability. That's a very high standard to meet. The problem is that shit happens.
At 95% it would be a bit more interesting. The post above about the time factor is very valid as well.

Ducks at night with a rifle. Discharging a firearm on a public body of water into a residential area (Mt Bonnel), shooting protected wildlife (buzzard). It seems there is very little below some of our esteemed members.
That was almost half a century ago, Karen. You left out 'carrying and discharging firearms from a watercraft.'

I was talking to one of my buddies not long ago that was in the boat and we agreed, SWAT would be called and we would have ended up in the news if we did that today. Another buddy that was in the boat went on to become a Game Warden in S. Texas.

Writer John Graves, who wrote Goodbye to River in the 50's, told me when he was going to U.T. before WWII, he would shoot ducks from a canoe where Congress Av. crosses the Colo. in whats now downtown Austin. Oh, the shame.

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208
"No aids" I take to mean, no milling reticle, just a fine cross hair- and no fore-knowledge of the target size. Blithely aiming center mass, a 147 eld-m from a 6.5 creedmoor will put a bullet on that sized target with that wind up to about 275 yards. Knowing the target size, but no way to range (or estimate range), you could aim 'top of plate' and make a hit out to about 375. At these distances, "favoring into the wind" is sufficient to negate the effects of wind. Given a reasonable shooting position, I'd say these would be 10 for 10 propositions. Beyond that would require some method to estimate a range.
We know the target size, 16"W x 24" tall, it's bullet drop like you say. I have access to a few 1K+ ranges, shoot on one long enough, does not seem far. But if you stood up and tried to find 600 yards directly behind you, whole different game. So location plays hard, judging 100 yards while on the ground on a football field, seems like twice as far as a target at 100 at a familiar range, gets worse as you go out w/o a range finder.
Your example was 6.5 creed, but with most 6mm's shot today in comps, a top plate hold would hit to 450 w/o much issue, with a 100 yard zero. I don't want to place a bet, but with any depth perception, tricky in all locations, it would be tough to overshoot at 500, so the play in the solution will be low.
I suck at reticle ranging, one day we tried ranging big dog steel headbanger targets starting at 550 on the odd numbers to 1050, 650,750, 850, etc..., at 750 I was out of the game, known distance, just could not open an app to verify, and by my misses, a full size IPSC would not have upped my success ratio.
So all day, everyday, 450 is my answer, given you don't overshoot.

My answer:

Shooting 6.5 Creedmoor... whatever distance corresponds to 24 inches of drop at my rifle's zero setting. That way, I don't have to guess or range or do any mental gymnastics. I just hold top edge of target and I would know the bullet should impact the bottom edge of the plate. All I have to do is hold for wind, which I can do at that distance because it's probably not that far. And at such a short distance, atmospherics shouldn't matter. So I don't need a Kestrel or to calculate DA.

Looking at my rifle's DOPE, that's around 380-400 yards.

BUT... without being able to range through the scope, I wouldn't know I was at that distance to begin with.

Last edited:
I don't know if this counts?
I've never had the opportunity to shoot long range, not for lack of want. I did shoot a feral cat off the top of my freshly painted '68 Cutlass from about 50 yards with a 10/22. I was pretty confident...

• Haha
Kind of a silly discussion at 100% probability. That's a very high standard to meet. The problem is that shit happens.
At 95% it would be a bit more interesting. The post above about the time factor is very valid as well.
exactly

set the target up, every day for 100 days in a row

random distance between 380 and 580 yards

and see who can hit it 95 days out of that 100, first shot cold bore of the day

no milling ret just a regular old crosshair

lots of names are not going to make it to day 100 guaranteed

This thread is so gay.
iu

I think we should start a reality series called “Call Your Shot”

We set up the OPs scenario and contestants can walk to where they want to shoot from.

If you hit you advance and the steel gets smaller as you advance to the next round.

If you miss then all the other contestants get to line up and punch you in the junk.

I’d 100% watch that…. I’d also bet all the Bob Lee Swaggers in this thread would pick a distance about half of what they posted.

I had to go back to page one and look at the criteria for making this shot. No shooting aids whatsoever. To me that means see the target, guesstimate distance and shoot it.

Knowing the target size is a big help already. 19"x 24" is pretty big. I would say with most of my rifles that would be 350ish yards for me.

For years all I shot was cheap rifles with decent cheap scopes with a duplex reticle. The two most notable scope/rifle combos that come to mind are my marlin 17V 17hmr with a $9 Tasco 3-9x32 that my grandfather bought from Kmart when they got out of the gun selling business. I think that was before my time and I'm 35 so...

The other combo was a 700ADL in 22-250, bone stuck down to the Tupperware stock with a $70 Bushnell trophy 4-12x40ao I think.

With the 17hmr myself and my brother have made first round shots out to 219 on crows. Ranged after the shot.

I killed crows, buzzards, hawks, pigs and deer out to around 300 with the 22-250 years before I owned a rangefinder. Before anybody flames me for shooting buzzards it was a standing rule on a ranch I worked on in my teens, if you saw a buzzard sitting around in the pasture shame on them. Buzzards will pick calves to death before they can really get up and move around.
Busting hawks was in defense of the chickens around our place.

I feel like I was a better shot back then before I got dependant on reticles and rangefinders. Maybe I just don't shoot as much as I used to. That 22-250 was the only rifle I shot for about eight years straight. Only rifle I've ever shot out.

A quick look at strelok says 6.5prc running 2950 with 153gr lrht has closer to 16" with a full value 10mph wind.
wow, I was guestimating off the top of my head. it may be a little off. but if you must do the math a 147ELD at 3100.

Did I miss where it said you can't have YOUR reticle in the scope? Thought it said your rifle, scope, bipod and bag.

Honest answer, 600-700 yds all day everyday with my 6 Creedmoor! I literally piss people off at my range sometimes with my .243 Win on our 520 yard known distance range. Why? Cause it’s not really uncommon for me to unload the car, set up, take my first cold bore shot and hit a target at least half the size you are talking without issue. I would take it out at least once every year to verify dope and every time people are surprised and always like, “damn what are you shooting?” I then pack up and go home. 100% confidence at those distances with my 6mms.

Last edited:
wow, I was guestimating off the top of my head. it may be a little off. but if you must do the math a 147ELD at 3100.

Well, and to be fair, I didn't really take into account your atmospherics either. If you are at a high altitude, then your 3100 fps is getting closer, but still not 8.

Well, and to be fair, I didn't really take into account your atmospherics either. If you are at a high altitude, then your 3100 fps is getting closer, but still not 8.
yeah actually looking in my app it shows L-7mil. so figure .1 mil =2" @600yds is more like between a 7"- 14" spread for a 5-10mph wind. holding left edge either way would probably still be on target on a 19" if shooting better than 1moa at that distance. Thats about the limits of my of compounding margins of errors.

He said the wind of direction was also switching back and forth... so, it could be 1"-14" depending on luck and timing of the trigger pull.
Now it becomes a matter of time again. If there is observation time beforehand, knowledge of the wind, switchy or not, is better.

400 with a 12.5 ar and a eotech is a gimme. Im going to say 600-750 with bolt gun and scope. That target should be over a mil tall at that distance(just guessing math sucks). Shouldnt be bad with a fast 6 of fast heavy 224.