• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How is this ammo deal?

MrOneEyedBoh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Maryland, USA!
I found someone that is willing to sell me 800 rds of FGMM 175gr BTHP in cases for 680 shipped. The catcher is Im in the middle of trying to piece together a reloading setup but the ammo deal seems too go to pass up.. yes or no? Should I pass on the ammo deal and just funnel the money int he reloading setup, I can afford both though.

Reason Im on the fence is because I can either save the 680 bucks and just use that to manufacture my own rounds, and have them cheaper than the per round price if I were to buy that ammo from the seller. But then on the other hand I'll have 800 more .308 shells after I shoot them all..

Re: How is this ammo deal?

Better deal is buy the whole lot and sale me half. That way you get a good deal on half the ammo for immediate use, 400 cases to reload and money left to buy reloading supplies. Sounds good.

The FGMM may be a great deal, but they are a consumable.

For $680 you can get a nice little singe stage setup, lapua brass, competition dies, etc. In one year the press and dies would have retained a majority of its value. The FGMM will be once fired brass sitting in a ziplock baggie.

Hmm. I see... So what you're saying is no? just based on Im buying it to save the brass essentially only. But with that 680 bucks I can go out and buy the things need to reload that amount of ammo and have a reloading setup too.

Ive been trying to hook up with someone locally ot help me see if I do want to reload, help with per round costs, etc etc.

I am first going to assume that this is factory loaded FGMM ammunition. It is considered to be some of the best factory loaded ammunition that you can get. If you can get it for under $1 a round, you are doing at least ok.

Now imagine this. You spend your money and you have all of this ammo loaded up. Then you start thinking, will my rifle shoot better if the bullet was moving a bit slower or faster? Would it be better for my rifle if the OAL was a little shorter or longer? Would my rifle shoot better with a different powder? Maybe a different primer? Or, God forbid, you discover that you and your rifle do better with lighter bullets at closer ranges.

With the ammo that you bought, you won't have the answers to any of those questions. All you'll have when it's all shot up is 800 rounds of Federal brass and personally, I don't know anyone that goes out of their way to buy Federal brass.

For the money that you'll spend on those 800 rounds, you could get into a better than decent single stage setup and probably have money left over to put toward supplies.

Sooner or later, you're going to have to start reloading, if you're serious about shooting; and there's no time like when you have the money in your hand and are ready to spend it to get started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrOneEyedBoh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm. I see... So what you're saying is no? just based on Im buying it to save the brass essentially only. But with that 680 bucks I can go out and buy the things need to reload that amount of ammo and have a reloading setup too.

Ive been trying to hook up with someone locally ot help me see if I do want to reload, help with per round costs, etc etc. </div></div>

I was in almost the same exact boat several years ago, except I picked up 500rnds of 168g FGMM at a good price just as I was getting started in the reloading world. I found that the federal brass seemed to get loose primer pockets after just a couple of loads (not loaded hot) and I had better luck with surplus LC brass. I have since picked up a large batch of lapua brass that will last me for a very long time. I still have some of the FGMM ammo left, but I don't shoot it now that I have my own loads that perform better and at a lower cost.

The bottom line is that I would recommend passing on that ammo if you have enough ammo to shoot as while you get started reloading. However, if it may be a while and you need some ammo now, go ahead and grab it. You certainly would not lose any money if you decide to sell all/part of it later.

Hook me up with it for that price and I will send you all the brass so you will have it for your reloading setup.