• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How long did the last ammo shortage last and thoughts about this one.

How far behind is Powder Valley running with shipping out of stock items? Every last item I need is 'Out of Stock'. Just wondering if they're filling back orders. I don't mind waiting, just wondering how it works. Midway says 'No Back Order' on a lot of their items. Thanks.

You are probably better off loading your own 6.5 ammo. I picked up enough supplies to load ~500 rounds in the last couple weeks. Everything but the primers was online. I'll run through that 500 by the end of my prairie dog hunt next month.

I walked into Academy today looking for some ammunition. They have a policy to limit 22LR, 9mm, 45ACP, 223 win/5.56 nato, and 308 win/7.62x51 to one box per customer. They keep these at customer service, as opposed to with the rest of the ammunition in the hunting section of the store. The lady at the door saw me looking and proudly announced they had "308 and 7.62." What they had were 308 marlin express, and 7.62x54R. They also had 22 mag behind the counter. No 22LR or 308win to be had. I guess the crunch is so bad that they are limiting ammo for tactical lever guns and obsolete Russian bolt guns... I hit another store and they had everything except 22LR.

As an aside, my uncle said he scored 3 boxes of Remington 223rem for $7 per box from Walmart earlier this week. I saw one box of Tula 55gr FMJ 5.56 ammunition at a different Walmart marked at ~$5 for 20 rounds. "Normal prices" are out there, but you have to be "Johny-on-the-spot" to get any.

I have 10x more ammunition now than I did before Sandy Hook, and I have only paid "per-scare prices" but it has taken some time.

I guess the crunch is so bad that they are limiting ammo for tactical lever guns

Hey now, I took a "urban bolt gun" class (focusing on typical police engagement distances) with a win94 in 30-30 because I didn't actually own a 223/308 bolt gun at the time. I looked a little funny doing hostage drills with a wood stocked lever gun with a 1.5-4x scope on it but whatever, run what you brung and all that.

I think the true facts are as follows.

1. Ammo availability went down and prices went up because of hoarding.
2. Unless manufacturers slow production and keep shelves empty or lightly stocked the hoarded ammo will be shot, in lieu of purchasing ammo thereby decreasing demand, or come back on the market and thereby decreasing demand as well. Lighter demand will increase inventories and maybe pricing.
3. I don't think prices will come down much but availability will come back via private and public markets.

This coming from a guy that has 40,000 loaded rounds. 100 pounds of powder, 35,000 primers and about 30,000 bullets...........

I did kind of blow it when I didn't keep my Varget stock up from the last panic but was fortunate to recently come across 20lbs at pre panic prices. I'm good for a while.

I think the true facts are as follows.

1. Ammo availability went down and prices went up because of hoarding.
2. Unless manufacturers slow production and keep shelves empty or lightly stocked the hoarded ammo will be shot, in lieu of purchasing ammo thereby decreasing demand, or come back on the market and thereby decreasing demand as well. Lighter demand will increase inventories and maybe pricing.
3. I don't think prices will come down much but availability will come back via private and public markets.

This coming from a guy that has 40,000 loaded rounds. 100 pounds of powder, 35,000 primers and about 30,000 bullets...........

I did kind of blow it when I didn't keep my Varget stock up from the last panic but was fortunate to recently come across 20lbs at pre panic prices. I'm good for a while.

Uh-Oh! I think we need to implement a tax on hoarders----say $.10/ round loaded in excess of 30 rounds, $5.00/pound of powder, $.05/primer, and $.075/ bullet. At least, that is what the government will think of next....

Seriously, I wish I lived near you, I'd feel safer there. I tried to build up my stock, but finances wouldn't allow enough soon enough.

I would venture to say this is the worst it has been...ever. There is nothing good coming out of this. I feel the best we can hope for is a little better inventory with high prices...At this point I'm just hoping for that.

COfox,
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and can always find ammo for it someplace. I was ordering from Copper Creek but now just Google and I find it in stock somewhere. Will reload when I can get the good H4350 power.

My rifle loves the 142 SMKs but you can get just about anything from 95 grn to 142 grn. Just got a 26 inch Bull barrel from Shilen to swap out my 22 inch sporter barrel. Been able to shoot sub MOA at 200 yards easily, just wanted a Select Match barrel for some time.

Personally, I don't think the shortage is going to end any time soon. The amount of people stunned by not being able to buy .22 ammo is amazing. I know people that used to shoot a couple hundred .22 on the weekends with their kids. Now that they cannot and the keep going back to the stores over and over again with nothing on the shelves, when given the chance, they are going to buy it in the thousands - if they can. Ammunition wasn't that expensive at the old 16.99 a carton of 330 rounds. But there is never any 330 round cartons anymore and if there were, people would easily pay $30-$40 PLUS for it. To the people who have none.....My buddy in Georgia at the Norcross Gunshow said cartons of .22 cal Fed 550 round packs were approaching $100!!!

I drive a lot for my job. I stop in little shops all over - I haven't seen any .22 cal in months. I NEVER see .308. I occasionally see .223. I always see 30-06, .270, .243, 300 Rem Mag, 7 Rem Mag and there is some 410. I bought some 12 gauge bird loads for bird season a few weeks ago - and it is now all gone. And when bird season comes, there isn't going to be any. Because everyone who thinks they might go bird hunting is going to buy whatever they can.

It is a time for profitteering. The last time around, the prices of pre ban magazines went crazy. G 17 mags for $90 YUP, I remember it. But there was always ammo. Now as states make magazine bans, there could be a glut of some folks dumping them, especially no grandfather clause. So in some cases those prices might go down in the states where they are allowed. But ammo - tax man is coming. I have heard and read about 100% ammo tax propositions. Of course, this time, a little give a take on both sides by our elected & esteemed legislature, it might not be 100% but there is going to be some type of ammo control. With the stroke of a pen, import ammo stops tomorrow.

So call me a stick in the mud, I don't see an end in sight until and maybe after the 2014.

Last edited: