• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes How low can I go? (unimount, AR related)

dennisaspo

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2011
Finland
I've been considering a NF 2.5-10x32mm scope with their unimount scope-mount and I notice they got two types, a higher and lower model. I wonder which type works better on the AR?

Is anyone here using the lower 1.125" unimount on their AR? Or the higher one for that matter? Pictures to see the difference would be appreciated.

I think is this is the lower type here so it seems you can use the lower model on an AR:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll94/johnod2/002.jpg

Re: How low can I go? (unimount, AR related)

I'll buy one in like 2 days when I get home and tell you if it rules

I am using the taller unimount (1.375") on my Noveske N6. My eye relief and cheekweld are good using a standard Vltor IMOD stock.

DSC00092.jpg

With a 32mm objective you should be fine with the low unless you are wanting to clear a set of back up iron sights.

Depending on your cheekweld the low may be too low.

AR irons are @1.4' above the rail, so if you are OK with irons get the high.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on your cheekweld the low may be too low.

AR irons are @1.4' above the rail, so if you are OK with irons get the high.</div></div>

+1 to LCJ's comments.

I would go with the higher version myself. Everything I use is actually a little higher than NF's taller version.

Edit- I'm referring to use on an AR-15. Larger AR platform might be a slightly different receiver height.

You need ~1.5" if you plan to use BUIS with the Nightforce 2.5-10. 1.375" would be ideal *for me* - sans the rear irons, but so far I've resisted the urge to swap out my current setup.

I won't be using any irons once I get the scope, ATM I only have the irons and I feel I can get my face down further than the irons height would have me at. Infact when I have the stock (CTR) extended to my preferred postion (3rd) I get too low and have to adjust upwards.

If I pull the stock in and try for the old nose to charging handle setup, then the sights line up naturally. But that's not my preferred stock extension, and for prone shooting it's fully extended.

Mi rifle setup as of today, shown with stock in 2nd position:
http://i40.tinypic.com/fkpf7k.jpg

The 1.375" is the way to go for a 5.56 AR.
Here with a USO SN-3 1.8-10X37.

Recce.jpg

Damn that top pic doesn't leave much room for adjustment on that USO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onyx1357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn that top pic doesn't leave much room for adjustment on that USO </div></div>

I KNOW! Not that I'm upset, the Nightforce Unimount is great, but the Unimount was one of the few reasonably priced (sub $250), one piece, 20moa mounts that would fit my USO. The turret body of of the scope is 2.865" long with the scope mount being 2.975" inside distance between the rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1.375" is the way to go for a 5.56 AR.
Here with a USO SN-3 1.8-10X37.

Recce.jpg
</div></div>

As nice as your rig looks, a 4lb scope, (plus what does the suppressor weigh?), to get a 2-10x image range in a 5.56mm is beyond all reason. What does the total rig weigh? almost 15 pounds?

A Nightforce 2.5-10x 24mm with 30mm tube weighs right at one pound and will mount fine with medium or high rigns. No need for a riser. The riser works when your scope objective is long-assed and the front ring has to be situated out beyond the receiver rail. Not many railed forend/handguard/float-tubes will line up correctly. You go with what will work.

Something like the Leupold mark 4 SPR is even better. 5 or 6x is not an impediment to precision shooting. When you sacrifice the portability factor of the AR-15 with a heavy-assed setup, you may as well go AR-10 and have the power and extra range.

That reminds me of the Leupold VX-6. Why isn't this scope more popular for 3-gun style shooting?

It's 1-6x24 which is really close to perfect for that kind of shooting, it's small and compact, has a real nice field of view from what I am reading, on par with the Meopta K-dot.

All it seems to lack is a nice reticle that could compromise between CQB and accuracy shooting, like perhaps the FC2 reticle in the nightforce (this is the reticle I am considering for the 2.5-10x).

It really seems to me like a model that is almost perfect.

I have the 1.125 unimount on my ar15 and it is almost too low. I put a 1.375 on my ar10 and it allows me some adjustment on my prs stock to fit perfectly.

Depends on your face....

And by the way, if you use a 1.125 Unimount on USO's you will need to clearance under the erector housing. Looks like 1.375's fit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
edwin907 said:
"As nice as your rig looks, a 4lb scope, (plus what does the suppressor weigh?), to get a 2-10x image range in a 5.56mm is beyond all reason. What does the total rig weigh? almost 15 pounds?"

<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> Rifle weights 10,2 lb with the TA11C (14oz) mounted in a LT-100 (9.1oz) with loaded MK262.95 LB.
The USO SN-3 1.8-10X37 weights 25.7 oz ( bit less than the Four lb, and about 8oz moore than the 2.5-10X24), the Nightforce UniMount about 7.2 oz <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> .

"A Nightforce 2.5-10x 24mm with 30mm tube weighs right at one pound and will mount fine with medium or high rigns. No need for a riser. The riser works when your scope objective is long-assed and the front ring has to be situated out beyond the receiver rail. Not many railed forend/handguard/float-tubes will line up correctly. You go with what will work."
<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> The NSX doesn't due to diminished low light capability.

Something like the Leupold mark 4 SPR is even better. 5 or 6x is not an impediment to precision shooting. When you sacrifice the portability factor of the AR-15 with a heavy-assed setup, you may as well go AR-10 and have the power and extra range. </div></div>