• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How much time between error letter and stamp?

bmk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
Nebraska, USA
Try as I might, I have not been able to forget about all of my pending suppressors. So, I've been checking the transfer status every 60 days or so. When I checked earlier this week, I was informed my form 4's are in "problem status."

Today, I got ahold of Becky Wetzel at ATF (she sent the error letter and is a super nice gal on the phone), and she had me fax copies of my trust documents.

What is the latest news on the time between fixing an error and getting approved?

Mine is going on 3 months since I sent in the corrected paperwork, from MI.
kenner

Out of curiosity, what kind of things have you seen dings them for being in error?

In my case, it was minor changes the first time it went into problem status. A "the" where there shouldn't be and a difference of opinion on the model name of suppressor.

According to the dealer, those issues were corrected. It went into problem status again just a few days ago. I haven't been able to get ahold of the dealer, but did find out from ATF that the problem this time was that the trust documents were not submitted.

I've been searching all around the internet, and it always seems to be this kind of reason for problems status. I understand mistakes happen, but am a little disappointed in my dealer for putting me into problem status twice. They're great folks, I just wish they would have double checked everything before sending it in. I agonized over every detail and triple checked everything before I sent it to the dealer.

It's always something that you have to worry about it seems like. Any of the paper ones that got submitted, I mailed off to make sure everything was correct. i had one dealer botch one up and luckilly i caught it right before it got mailed.,

If they send it to the FFL , and FFL responds, or you respond, usually a couple weeks in my case twice. Buts thats for a simple clarification.

PB

I had two SBR applications kicked back to me for caliber being listed as "CAL.223-5.56mm" EXACTLY as it was stamped on the side of the original Bushmaster AR lowers. The ATF wanted me to pick a caliber. It took just about 4 weeks to get the stamp after dropping the correction in the mail.

I got two form 1's back for correction on 9-19 and mailed them back on 9-20. They did not like the "&" in M&P. I still have not received any thing. I sent in three form 1's at the same time. I have not heard anything on the 1 that did not need correction either.

Dang you guys! I was hoping for some good news, heck I even loaded a few hundred extra rounds in anticipation.

In the end, this is what I was afraid of. The two week correction letter turnarounds are a thing of the past. I was really hoping to get my cans in time for coyote season.

I got the two that needed corrections and the one that didn't back yesterday. So 104 days give or take from the time I mailed them back.

I had a form 4 kicked back early last year for a missing date on a page. Took 2-3 weeks to get stamp after I sent in the correction.

I got the two that needed corrections and the one that didn't back yesterday. So 104 days give or take from the time I mailed them back.

That's bad news for me, but thanks for updating the thread. Congrats, btw, you should have a really good weekend.

Funny this popped up. Mine came back just before christmas due to the sheriff forgetting to write his title next to signature. Called today for status with no answer. Called regional atf to find out what was going on. Learned they are shutdown due to a winter storm and no one could get to work. It would be nice if I only had another month to go. This wait is way more brutal than I expected.

Current Form 4 is for a suppressor. I was called by the dealer on 4 Dec 13 that they had received a notice that the BATF needed a new set of prints. The last time this happened (I have old, dry, thin skin that frustrates even very experienced print takers), I think I got the stamp in a month or less. It's been a month since they received the new cards and I'm still waiting for this one. Of course, we did have the government slowdown plus C'mas and New Year's holidays.

Richard

Last edited:
I got one back in October as well for a signature missing... still waiting...

It took 3.5 months after I sent in the corrected problem on form 4 for a suppressor, just pick it up today, I'm a happy camper now.
kenner

I don't believe there is a time line...I got the error letter in Sept because the ATF now wants Schedule B/C even though it wasn't required the first time I used my trust. I also did not have anything in Schedule B/C and I sent in that information in early September.

Over-all turn around time on my my most recent one turned out to be about 10 months plus the time for the error correction going back and forth in the mail. I sent mine in in late Feb. 2013 and just got the stamp today. May the force be with you...but if it hasn't been 10-11 months over-all, I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Last edited:
Over-all turn around time on my my most recent one turned out to be about 10 months plus the time for the error correction going back and forth in the mail. I sent mine in in late Feb. 2013 and just got the stamp today. May the force be with you...but if it hasn't been 10-11 months over-all, I wouldn't get too excited yet.

I hope you're wrong, but who knows. My examiner appears to be approving forms now with a pending date right around my own pending date, so I'm hoping for the best.

I hope it works out like you hope. It used to mean you were basically done with the approval if you got one back for a correction. Usually you would get it back pretty quick with the stamp after you completed the corrections, but apparently that is no longer something you can count on. I got this one back in August for corrections and just got the stamp this week.

Are they still using the temporary administrative help from last budget or are they back to just permanent staff (understaffed)?

Got my stamp 14 Feb 2014 from an error letter (needed new fingerprints) that arrived 4 Dec 2013 and was sent back 7 December.

Richard

You guys got "lucky"...examiner wanted my Schedule B/C and it was empty...she said I could just email it to her...I did that in early August...I just got my TBAC last week 02/11/14.

Overall, it took over 11 months.

UPDATE

I called ATF and found out I was approved the other day, Feb. 25.

I guess the takeaway is that the fact that you have been notified of an error no longer means that you are close to approval. On the other hand, if you have an error, it does not seem to slow the process down by much.

My pending and approved dates match pretty close with everything I see on NFA tracker.