• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

how often do you clean your weapon?

gainer_reniag

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
Virginia Beach
I am new to the forum and have been trying to soak up all the great info that is on here. I have a DPMS LR 308 24'' stainless fluted barrel, JP trigger and gas block and Leupold MK4 6.5x20x50. It groups .5'' @ 100 yards. Is it true that you can clean your bore too much?

Re: how often do you clean your weapon?

I swab the barrel, piston, and BCG after every trip to the range.

I have been using a bore snake. I ordered the precision rifle instructor guide. Im certified NRA law enforcement pistol and shotgun. as well as a crew served weapons instructor for the military but i really enjoy shooting rifles and i wish i had like a good mentor with experience that lived around here on the gulf coast (MS)

Being brainwashed by the Army means that I compulsively clean my weapons after each firing session to the point where I'm probably cutting its operable service life in half.

ok, from someone in the military US and PMCs.
30+ years in the business.

Bolt action rifles = bore snake after every range session 20+ rounds. Deep clean after 250+
Carbines = bore snake after every range session, field strip and clean as needed, typically half a case or so, 500+ rds
Sidearms = daily carry guns, field strip and clean after every range session, or every 30 days depending on use.

works for me.

I know i have been doing the same in the navy but i have heard other things and read other things and was waiting for on expert opinions. thanks for your experience

On gas guns you would be well advised to clean the bolt and carrier after each range trip.

Clean the barrel when accuracy degrades, IMHE 3 - 500 rounds. Nothing goes down the bore except boolets until its time for a cleaning, the gun will tell you when.

Compulsion is a mental disorder that can be resolved by proving to yourself by testing that something else works.

Cheers,

Doc

You should clean as often as you feel comfortable with. Every rifle will show a degradation in accuracy at some round count or another. I like to clean my gas guns after every trip to the range simply because they have a lot of moving parts. I can not imagine the friction of using the cleaning rod comparing in any way to a supersonic compression fit slug of lead and copper going down the barrel.

When you guys say clean do you mean wipe down w/bore snake or patch? Or brush followed by patch and patch And patch? I understand the moving parts but the barrel is where im confused.

With the semi's I clean them after every range trip especially if I use the suppressors on them - they get very dirty that way.

The bolt rifles get it after shooting 100's of rounds and then it is just a swab of the barrel with no bore brushes.

I foam and patch my bolt guns, 2 foamings after each outing, followed by an oiled patch.

It's doesn't require much elbow grease or time, and the Outers Gunslick foam does a very good job of removing both carbon and copper.

It's not a deep cleaning, but it gets the greater bulk of fouling out. I deep clean (i..e. until the patches find no more fouling) at the end of each season, or sooner if accuracy suggests it's time. Brushes nearly never, I let the solvent do the work.

Greg

It really depends on how I am shooting it. If I shoot several short sessions less than 50 rounds several times a week, then I will clean once every two weeks. If I shoot a match then I will clean it after that. If I shoot only a couple rounds, but I may not shoot again for several weeks then I clean. Good thing is your gun will also tell you when it need to be cleaned.

I firmly believe in all my guns being spotless clean after every use. And on my carry pistol I clean it once a week. I spend a lot of money on guns and think that they should be well kept. All of my buddies say I go completely overboard on cleaning but my guns all function flawlessly and are older than my buddies tones by a long shot and they still look new, short of character scratches and what not, but ZERO rust. I clean with nylon and copper brushes depending on the solvent being used and scrub the hell out of my barrels to get them clean and all copper out of them. A boresnake or a couple of wet patches doesn't even scratch the surface for what I would consider cleaning. On my bolt guns, I consider them a precision rifle and clean every 50 rds max. I don't shoot any matches so I see no need to shoot any more than that before a cleaning, by the time Ive had 50 rds through it, its hot enough need a cool down. And as far as barrel life is concerned, my 700 in 223 has about 7k rounds though it as well as 30-06 with 1200 rounds through it and still both shoot great. Also I use JB Bore shine and polish about every 3-4 cleanings. Polishes out the bore and really gets the copper out, making it easier to clean the next time. Just my .02. I realize this is way over the top for most, but it keeps my firearms in excellent condition and functioning perfectly. It works for me.
Travis

As of right now i haven't cleaned my ARs or my bolt rifle in probably 3-5 months. Granted i don't do as much shooting as everyone on here, as i'm two hours away from my guns 5 days a week, sometimes 7. Not cleaning my bolt rifle until i see a accuracy degradation, i clean the chamber out when it's dirty though, keep the brass shavings off the throat. My ARs i haven't touched, just kept lube on them. I have sand all in my MK12...

I used to clean notoriously after every shooting, then i told myself i'm buying equipment meant for use in horrible conditions, i don't necessarily have to treat it like a safe queen. I mean they're built to take abuse to some extent, so why treat them like my Sako 85 hunter? JMO.