• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to Change a Barrel?

Corp. Punishment

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Alright everybody, just like the title says how do I change a barrel? I've been looking around and I can't find a tutorial or video or anything on the process of changing a barrel. Could somebody point me in the right direction.

The rifle is a tikka if that helps.

Thanks!

Re: How to Change a Barrel?

please complete your profile......

the way you change a barrel out on a tika is sell the rifle and buy another one

for a rebarrel, it will depend on what barrel you have. If you have a blank, it will likely take a gunsmith and a lathe to rebarrel. If you have a take-off barrel from another Tikka, then you might be able to just take off your barrel and install the other and get lucky on the headspace. This would require a barrel vise, action wrench, and go and no-go gauges to complete, assuming that both calibers use the same bolt-face. There are books and videos out there explaining the steps to rebarrel a rifle, but as they explain part of the gunsmithing trade, they generally cost a little bit of money.

What exactly are you trying to do? What barrel do you have. The more information you give the more we can help.

Dave

you should fill out your profile as stated above. Are you in Canada?

It appears to me that the guy you linked sells barrel blanks. They would require the barrel to be fitted and chambered to headspace properly to your action. Without a lathe and some practice this would be a large feat to try and tackle DIY. You can figure with a nice barrel blank that the cost would be in the $600 range for a rebarrel. A lot of times barrel makers will also chamber and install a barrel in house, so it may be worth giving Gaillard a call and talking to him about the rebarrel.

Dave