• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to deal with a crooked gunsmith?

If he refuses to return your receiver you can call the BATF. It is stolen.
Unless the smith came into your house and took it without your consent, it is a civil matter.
You sent him the receiver, he did not take it from you.
Now, some states will go with a theft charge if a demand letter is sent, certified mail, delivery confirmation. You have to give them a "reasonable" time to return the item, usually about 10 days after receipt of the letter..

This is why I usually recommend LRI.
they are quick and their stuff is second to none. And they stick by their work if something is amiss, as it happens

Not sure about times, but Mile High does great work.

and now another local guy has his own shop, but not sure on his lead times. Black Canyon Customs.

All 3 do great work and will be honest about stuff.

I know LRI is fast and will do you right.
They seem to like to help a guy who has been hosed by a douche too.
My sample of 3 rifles all shoot .5s and I kinda suck.
Probably my bipod. Its a Harris. 😉
PVA also. I was quoted 5-6 week lead time. Had it at my door in less than 3 weeks.

Doc

In my experience, involving the credit card companies is usually the best way to get a fire lit under a seller's behind. I've, unfortunately, had to result to that a few times to grease the bearings on some customer service issues where the vendor was dragging their feet. Near as I can tell people do NOT like dealing with CC companies.

Hi,

It is not the credit card companies that businesses do not like dealing with in regards to these type of things. It is actually their own merchant service providers.
It is hard enough to find a legitimate, proper and low fee merchant provider to take a firearms industry account anyways so when you get one you definitely do not want to loose it because you had charge backs to your account.
That is a quick method of obtaining a suspended and terminated merchant service account.

Sincerely,
Theis

Similar situation,

I clicked around enough and found the guys wife on Facebook.

Told her I don’t know if she is aware but her husband has my rifle and I’m going to call the ATF because it must be stolen as he has not returned it yet.

just keeping you informed of they and or the cops show up at their home address.

then I told her how her kids look cute in their last picture...

Returned phone call in about 30 seconds.

^^^ not the way to run business regardless of the situation. You would have gotten much more then a phone call.

just because your getting the shaft doesn’t give you the right or should even come into yiur mind to threaten her kids and involving the wife like that.

if I was him I would have kept your SHIT and let you raise all the hell you wanted. Go call the ATF. They don’t give a shit. Call the local Pd. Again don’t give a shit.

Or ....do your job as expected.

if you call authorities and report a stolen rifle that is registered with FFL shipping paperwork they will be there sooner rather than later.

step 2 is to personally go there and retrieve my legally owned rifle, if needed.

edit...dont always think your the toughest guy in the room, most of the time your not.

I guess your voting for Biden because laws, ethics and consequences don’t matter in the your world.

^^^ not the way to run business regardless of the situation. You would have gotten much more then a phone call.

just because your getting the shaft doesn’t give you the right or should even come into yiur mind to threaten her kids and involving the wife like that.

if I was him I would have kept your SHIT and let you raise all the hell you wanted. Go call the ATF. They don’t give a shit. Call the local Pd. Again don’t give a shit.

Ummm, that's called theft no matter how bruised your ego is.

Or ....do your job as expected.

if you call authorities and report a stolen rifle that is registered with FFL shipping paperwork they will be there sooner rather than later.

step 2 is to personally go there and retrieve my legally owned rifle, if needed.

edit...dont always think your the toughest guy in the room, most of the time your not.

I guess your voting for Biden because laws, ethics and consequences don’t matter in the your world.

laws and ETHICS you sir shown how ethics are not part of your mentality. I agree he should have done his work.

but your a child of you think the ATF is gonna give a shit about your “Theft” of rifle parts. Lol. Ask me how I know??? A $1200CZ Shadow pistol that a FFL kept and would not release it to me. His books were all screwed up and it took months to get it.

guess what ATF said? It’s his property if it’s logged into his books and if you need to peruse any further then contact a civil attorney.

so again good luck. Regardless of what he did to you or how his business was handled you shouldn’t threaten a mans wife and kids. That’s childish and low to even hint at that fact.

at the same time I don’t understand how people even have this problem. Multiple custom guns built and never waited more then a month or two. Much less wait an entire year before you start throwing a fit. That’s just crazy as hell and lucky shit didn’t get lost.

Let’s keep name calling to a minimum of possible it’s not the bear pit.

We’re not talking a savage.

Full boat AXMC, I could sue for grand larceny and got him 6 month in jail or a 5k fine.

with out getting into particulars because it will take forever to explain...but local atf agent was awaiting a second phone call for him to pay a visit.

Maybe you had a lazy employee

as it’s known by everyone on this site, don’t put something on social media and set security to wide open and not expect that information to be exploited for good or for bad.

I could have been a maniac and in 5 min I found his home address

Again..do your job properly and ethically and this would not happen.

Reactions: 308pirate
Why do people put up with this shit?

My customers expect their shit when I promise it and I move what I need to move to deliver. If something happens that I can't recover I'm up front about it.

Who is he?
This^^
We have people come in and order stuff all the time, and we don’t ask for payment until it comes in, or we have it in hand to ship, people get way less pissed off when they don’t have any skin in the game, and we keep them in the loop on everything they ordered. Customer service, customer service, customer service!!!

Ordered two barrels with an out-of-state gunsmith whom I thought had a good reputation. That was June 15th. Claimed 2-4 week lead time on barrels. It's been games and excuses and lies ever since.

I really don't know what to do, I've rarely had to deal with such a shady character and have no idea what avenues of justice are available. Is this something the ATF should deal with? I doubt the Better Business Bureau cares about gunsmith stuff, and since it's out-of-state I doubt a police call will work. I really hate lawyers, but what else is there?

Once again, who the fuck is it?

You came here looking for help. The easiest way to get it is to name names.

so again good luck. Regardless of what he did to you or how his business was handled you shouldn’t threaten a mans wife and kids. That’s childish and low to even hint at that fact.

He didn't threaten anyone. He warned them. Two different things.

So the credit card company gave a "provisional" credit, which hasn't been finalized. And today I missed the Fedex guy, possibly from the gunsmith. June 15th to October 27th on a "2-4 week" lead time. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure I'm about to be fucked sideways.

Nope, not PVA, ES-Tactical. My SRS will be for sale on the hide soon, and probably some really cheap extra barrels. After all these games, I wouldn't trust that the barrels aren't booby-trapped to blow up in my face, so someone will probably get a really good deal if they're brave enough.

Reactions: Ksracer
if you think someone is crooked the best option you as a consumer has to deal with them is not to complain about that person but use someone else . or better yet educate your self and do your own work , yea its not the easiest option but if you get crappy work then you know who did it , and who then to complain to . do you really think the atf is interested in a problem like that when they are busy trying to harass legit companies or plotting how to take your guns away from you ? Good luck to you and may your problem besolved quickly and with out further undue stress nor government involvement .